Chapala.com Webboard

Fires on our side now!

I live in SAT and we can see the fires that have crested the mountains and are now working their way down our side.  They are travelling pretty fast toward Chula Vista Norte, La Floresta Norte (that area).  The choppers seem to be concentrating on the area close to the Hiway on the other side of the mountains.  This is getting kinda scary.  The two choppers they have in the air now don't look like they are making much headway.  

From Facebook:  

Ajijic Hillsides are in Fire 🔥

💦 Please bring drinking water, electrolytes, Fruits, Food, etc. Bring them to the Fire Station/ Bomberos in Libramiento or to the Ayuntamiento in town.

They are asking for GARDENING TOOLS as RAKES and SHOVELS, also Big Black Bags. Thank you!!!

💦 25 people are working on the hills, 10 are part of the fire department, 15 volunteers 👨🏼‍🚒
If you want to help feel welcome to visit the Bomberos in Libramiento for instructions.

They are very grateful for all the support people is bringing, the drinks and foods are a wonderful contribution.

🔥 The fire started last Saturday in Ixtlahuacan after people camping had a fire out control.

🔥 Yesterday the fire expanded as it was windy also because the fire was on a cliff so was hard to get there.

850 hectares damaged 😖

This is horrifying, not only for the people living in and near these areas but the animals.  I know our Maid and Gardener have livestock up there.  They're scrambling to get up there and get their animals to safety.  We all need to monitor this and help the firefighters, as listed above.

Everyone, be alert and be safe.

Valerie

• Like 1

I took these fotos from my roof (except for the one with the palm tree, in my driveway) within the last hour around sunset.  It's coming our way slowly towards Ajijic.  Winds forecasted from the west through  tomorrow morning.  Someone told me it was a controlled burn (out of control?) where they are planning to build a new subdivision.  Any truth to that?

DSCN2959.JPG

DSCN2961.JPG

DSCN2963.JPG

DSCN2964.JPG

DSCN2969.JPG

DSCN2970.JPG

I think I saw on Facebook the Chapala Presidente said it was caused  by some fools who started a fire at their picnic and it got out of control.

If there is any good news here it is these fires do not burn super hot like the ones in pine forests up north and do not sterilize the soil or kill the bigger trees.  Soon as the rains come the mountains will turn green again.

It's hell on those of us with lung issues though.

Let's hope the locals will get help from state and feds soon.  This fire is too big for just the local folks.

• Like 1