Chapala.com Webboard

Traveling to US with out of date license tags

I need to go to the states and my license and Texas is out of date by two years    I have heard that you can get a South Dakota license plate is this true because I will get a ticket if I go to Houston and I arrive on a Saturday so I can’t go get new tags and I need to leave on Sunday   Does anyone have any suggestions

Jalisco, for example, requires that your vehicle be legal to drive in your home jurisdiction, Texas! Since it is not, it is also illegal in Jalisco. So, don't have an accident on your way out of Mexico. 

Yes, you may well get a ticket as soon as you are spotted in Texas, so you  might want to arrange your arrival on a business day, and go straight to the nearest inspection station and DPS registration location.

Another option: Arrange for a U-Haul truck and a car trailer at the border. Load your car on the trailer and tow it to Houston legally. Then register it at your convenience, once you have proof of residence, etc. Have it inspected while you still have the U-Haul to take it to your destination.

1 hour ago, jhark said:

If you want South Dakota plates only use Clay County.  I just renewed my tags and they are great to work with.

To get plates you will have to send them your car title and paperwork.  They will send you a new title and your new plates.

Here's the link with all the forms and information you need:  http://www.claycountysd.org/treasurersoffice.cfm

While I agree wholeheartedly with the Clay County recommendation, they are NOT the only county to use.... in other words any county in SD can do the service. Clay just does it very well and is #1 in customer service.  Note that one will get their Title from Clay but the plates still come out of the State and will take 3-5 weeks to arrive. 

Today is Friday and you need to leave Sunday? Not one of those advance planners, eh? I hope it is not because of a family emergency.

Why don't you just take a plane or a bus to Houston and then get your paperwork done there and then come back the same way when you have your paperwork in order. I know this requires more money than you might think is practical, but less than it will cost encountering problems along the way.

Alternatively, I think there is a service that can get paperwork to transport a vehicle with outdated paperwork to the border for you... not sure how, but maybe you can ride along with them and get the travel papers in the link Angus provided above once you get to the border.

If nobody else chimes in and mentions the service that gets you car to the border, I think Spencer knows about it and you can reach out to his office.

Or, you could just roll the dice and hope you get lucky. I did that once and got married. It cost me two houses and three pension funds.

• Haha 1