Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel internet

You can try to

1. Relocate and/or reorient the modem   2. Reset modem to factory default   3. Force the modem to update the firmware - this solved my problem. They are rolling out this update, but very slowly. I have a friend that forced mine to update. 4. Return modem to Telcel and have it checked for problems.

ILOX will almost certainly be faster than Telcel at its best. The fastest Telcel package 15 meg) is slower than the slowest ILOX package (30 meg) at the same price. 

We had the same problem with our Telcel modem this week that we've had for around 6 months. Took it to Telcel and found out we had used the allotted 150,000 Mbps that you get per month. Have no idea really why that happened, but we had may have downloaded more this month. So, they let you buy 100 pesos of more Mbps at a time, but that's all. So, if you use that up, then you can go buy another 100 pesos until a new month rolls around. The speed is throttled way down so nothing works until you put more money on it! Give me a break! Hurry up Ilox.

It is not uncommon for carriers to 'limit' their unlimited service.... if THAT makes any sense definition wise.  It looks like Telcel limits theirs at 150 gigabytes before they choke it down. That's a lot of downloading/streaming as a typical SD movie is around 1.5Gig and probably twice that for High Def. So either you did a lot of movie watching or something went haywire with your Gig-count. 

Other than streaming, it's hard for 1-2 people to use much more than 25Gigs just surfing and doing the occasional YouTube or what-not. And being able to purchase another 25Gigs for $5 is certainly a bargain.  I suspect that part of the problem is just not being aware that there is a limit to one's unlimited service.  😲

6 minutes ago, RickS said:

It is not uncommon for carriers to 'limit' their unlimited service.... if THAT makes any sense definition wise.  It looks like Telcel limits theirs at 150 gigabytes before they choke it down. That's a lot of downloading/streaming as a typical SD movie is around 1.5Gig and probably twice that for High Def. So either you did a lot of movie watching or something went haywire with your Gig-count. 

Other than streaming, it's hard for 1-2 people to use much more than 25Gigs just surfing and doing the occasional YouTube or what-not. And being able to purchase another 25Gigs for $5 is certainly a bargain.  I suspect that part of the problem is just not being aware that there is a limit to one's unlimited service.  😲

I think the problem is that when I got this service, it was touted as 15 meg/sec unlimited service. Well, buried in the contract it said that the 15 meg/sec is only for the first 150 gigs. After that, it slows to 2-3 meg/sec unlimited. It is a bit clearer now in their literature, but a year ago it was not clear at all. Another year on my contract.  Sucks to be me!

I have to say that I ran across the same situation NOB with my cell carrier, T-Mobile, last year..... and I think they all do it.  Nowhere that I saw suggested that unlimited didn't mean just that. Since I don't stream much at all from that service at home this did not bite me until I was on a winter vacation and tethering both my wife and my Internet habit to our iPads. Now I know and watch the data use.... and even 'buy' an additional Gig or two if needed towards the end of my normal month's service timeframe.