Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for bilingual female for translating

Im looking for a bilingual female for translating.  Does anyone out there know of someone who would be willing and to make some extra money.  Transportation is no problem as I could pick up.  If so I would be so very grateful.  Please PM me .  Thank you in advance

Lorenza Castiello is a professional translator and interpreter, authorized as such by the government. But she is the type that does UN meetings, not taking people to Mexican gov't offices. If you like I will send her phone number.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Lorenza Castiello is a professional translator and interpreter. But she is the type that does UN meetings, not taking people to Mexican gov't offices. If you like I will send her phone number.

yes, thank you so much

• 2 months later...

I can help anytime. I was born here in Mexico.so.my Spanish is perfect. But I was raised in California (12 years) my English is on point as well :) recently moved back to the area and I'm looking for a job.

Edited by Kat C
  • Like 1

Just remember what Intercasa posted many moons ago.  Hint: It involved Mexicans looking for work who "just moved back". Not insinuating anything about anyone but his advice was spot on.  YMMV

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Lorenza is an old pro and very capable, Ana Siller is also court approved and newer so her rates may be lower.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 9:13 AM, More Liana said:

"Translating" is written; verbal is "interpreting".

Nope. Translating is formal and interpreting is every day vernacular written or verbal. Here's a really good example of translating gone wrong instead of using interpreting. When McDonald's opened up their first store in downtown Montreal and advertised in writing their big mac as le gros mac they got their windows broken with thrown rocks. In Quebecois French les gro mac means big prick.

10 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Nope. Translating is formal and interpreting is every day vernacular written or verbal. Here's a really good example of translating gone wrong instead of using interpreting. When McDonald's opened up their first store in downtown Montreal and advertised in writing their big mac as le gros mac they got their windows broken with thrown rocks. In Quebecois French les gro mac means big prick.

Nope.  
Word Reference definition of interpret: 

Traducir de una lengua a otra, sobre todo cuando se hace oralmente.  (Translate from one language to another, above all when it is done orally.)

I think the McDonald's thing is a fairy tale. I also know the story of "Big Joe's Beans", where a Paul Bunyan-type character adorned cans of beans, and when translated as "Le Gros Jo" (you can only imagine what that means in French-Canadian slang), had to be removed from the store shelves. But I can find proof of neither tale on the Web.

23 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Nope.  
Word Reference definition of interpret: 

Traducir de una lengua a otra, sobre todo cuando se hace oralmente.  (Translate from one language to another, above all when it is done orally.)

As one who spent many years in the marketing and communications profession I stick with what I said earlier citing McDonald's nasty experience in Montreal as a perfect example of translation gone wrong when they should have had someone interpret. For further evidence of this sort of thing,translating vs. interpreting,google "funny translated signs".

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I think the McDonald's thing is a fairy tale. I also know the story of "Big Joe's Beans", where a Paul Bunyan-type character adorned cans of beans, and when translated as "Le Gros Jo" (you can only imagine what that means in French-Canadian slang), had to be removed from the store shelves. But I can find proof of neither tale on the Web.

It was related to me by George Cohon in the early 70's when it happened.