Chapala.com Webboard

Fire

Returned from Guad late yesterday, also, and could see the fire on the northern side of the slope. Tonight it is on the southern (Chapala) side. Seems to be spreading this way with the northerly winds that come at night. But as the winds shift, so, too, will the fire.

Couldn't figure out what was going on with the helicopter.... Thought someone had gone out on an inflatable pool toy and couldn't make it back to shore, so a rescue effort was called in.  Now I know.

The helicopter made many trips over quite a few hours. It took some time to travel each way, I really  expected it to go faster. I saw the flames last night before I went to bed but the fire was no longer on this side in the morning. At least that I could see.

It is still going, sorry this is a FB link, best I can do

https://www.facebook.com/dane.strom.1?fref=hovercard&hc_location=none&__tn__=%2CdlCH-R-R

A little while ago in Ajijic. Bring donations of bottled water and "sueros" (Electrolit, Powerade-type electrolyte drinks, etc.) to the delgación at the Ajijic plaza (map in comments) for the firefighters and volunteers fighting this fire.

A little while ago on the hill of ajijic. It takes donations of bottled water and serums to the delgación of ajijic for firefighters and volunteers who will build this fire.
//
A little while ago in Ajijic. Bring donations of bottled water and "sueros" (Electrolit, Powerade-type electrolyte drinks, etc.) to the delgación at the Ajijic plaza (map in comments) for the firefighters and volunteers fighting this fire.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:51 AM, kimanjome said:

Thought someone had gone out on an inflatable pool toy and couldn't make it back to shore

The lake is so shallow that you can walk to shore from most parts of it. There are a few holes and few places where it is deeper, but for the most part so shallow that a helicopter rescue would be unnecessary. 

Lake Chapala
Lake in Mexico

Description

Lake Chapala is Mexico's largest freshwater lake. It lies in the municipalities of Chapala, Jocotepec, Poncitlán, and Jamay, in Jalisco, and in Venustiano Carranza and Cojumatlán de Régules, in Michoacán.Wikipedia

Surface elevation: 1,524 m
Area: 1,100 km²
Length: 80 km
Average depth: 7 m (23 ft)

With an average depth of 23 feet it might be a little difficult to "walk to shore from most parts of it."
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Aquaponicsman said:

The lake is so shallow that you can walk to shore from most parts of it. There are a few holes and few places where it is deeper, but for the most part so shallow that a helicopter rescue would be unnecessary. 

A lot of people have drowned in the lake over the last 40 years I have lived here, so walking out is not guaranteed, and lot of those drownings happened when the lake was a lot lower.

• Like 1

I speak from my experience only. My boat sank in a fairly deep divot in the lake about a mile out and I swam to shore and when I got there, a guy with his kids and some cows was on the shore and said, "Hey Gringo, why didn't you walk?" Where I was (not far from 6 Corners ) it was very shallow all the way out to where my boat sank. So, no walking is not guaranteed, but it is very shallow and I probably could have walked most of the way instead of swimming provided the bottom was not too muddy.

Plus people drown in their bathtubs all the time... even if you are not holding their head underwater!