Chapala.com Webboard

Spagos closed

sm1mex

2 hours ago, Xena said:

They are closed for the month to change the name and logo after being caught stealing it from Wolfgang Punk. Supposed to be reopening as Scallions. Many are hoping the food will be better. 

Interesting. They changed it to Spago's back then, from Spago (the proper Puck name) but I guess that didn't hold much water with the legal system...

Shall we take bets: food better, vs food not better...?

• Haha 1

Yes, it is closed for only one week. I saw a picture on one of the waiters cell phone of the new name, but darn it I forgot it. I understand they will also be updating their menu.

For what ever it's worth, I think things are slowly improving there.

How many months has it been open? Not long, as I recall. When a new restaurant closes for a week to change its name and “update” its menu it is possible there will be improvements. It is possible but not probable.  I will wait for reviews of the “new” restaurant which will be called “Scallion” or so they say. 

I understood that the reason they changed the name was because, that name is already used by a large string of restaurants up North and that, they were asked to change the name by an attorney from the restaurant chain.   I could not confirm this rumor told to me by one of the waiters from the now closed Spagos.

It is scheduled to re-open Monday.

10 minutes ago, johanson said:

I understood that the reason they changed the name was because, that name is already used by a large string of restaurants up North and that, they were asked to change the name by an attorney from the restaurant chain.   I could not confirm this rumor told to me by one of the waiters from the now closed Spagos.

It is scheduled to re-open Monday.

Several people have reported that they did confirm “this rumor,” including a couple of people who spoke with the owner. Read about the Spago chain and ask yourself how likely it is that the man who built this enterprise  and copyrighted the name would allow some half-assed restaurant in a backwater Mexican town to steal the name and try to profit from it. 

• Like 4

Why did they use that name to begin with?  They should have done some research and known you can not use it.  We are in a small town in Mexico but technology will find you.  Now they pay the price.  I wonder if they had to pay Spago's a fine

Ij

t

15 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

It did seem odd. The family is well-known here, and the husband-wife team are quite learned. My feeling, having never asked: thought it would sound cool and attract a certain clientele.

Some people (including wait staff) say the modifications in the menu will make it more like the owners’ restaurant in Colorado. I am left wondering which the owners are: unsophisticated Mexican couple totally unaware of business law or international restauranteurs who have to know a little something.

21 hours ago, Xena said:

They are closed for the month to change the name and logo after being caught stealing it from Wolfgang Punk. Supposed to be reopening as Scallions. Many are hoping the food will be better.

Sounds like when "Pampa Tango" became "Ajijic Tango", no?

• Like 3

I guess the owners felt that they could lie and steal a name, like no one would notice.  Their food is terrible, not even up to Salvadore's, and that's saying something.  The waiters are uninvolved and do not know the menu.  When I asked if something had onions, the waiter's response was, "I don't know."   As the raven said, "never more."

Eric told me yesterday, during the celebrations, that the restaurant had just made 5 massive trays of lasagna and had delivered them to the volunteers and bomberos. Some of those fires require a 2 1/2 hour walk just to get to over those ridges.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if they have corn tortillas for breakfast now?  When we went when they first opened they didn't even have toast.  When I asked for corn tortillas they said they didn't serve them.  Since I need GF the rolls don't work.

Yes they did and they have added a Greek Salad to the menu which means that I will be going for lunch occasionally. It's the only restaurant that I know of that has it. Between the salads at El Huerto Café and Scallions, I'll be a happy camper. Prices also seem to have been lowered. The Sunday before they closed I had Eggs Benny with coffee and the price was $125 pesos. Yesterday, Eggs Benny with coffee was $105 pesos. I even asked if they had made a mistake in pricing and pointed out the comparison between one Sunday and the next. Yes, price change. 

BTW, we've already put a bug in their ear about buffets for Canadian Thanksgiving, American Thanksgiving and Christmas.

And, they appear to have dropped the ceiling in the inside dining area. Since I've only eaten on the patio so far, can anyone comment on whether the dropped ceiling is more acoustically pleasing? The noise level of the old Salvador's used to be deafening.

They also have a Greek salad at Gosha's.  It's one of my husband's favorites. BTW, Gosha's is on vacation for several weeks; I think they said until the 22nd.

As for Scallions, I hope the new deal means that when you order "eggs over medium" you don't get less cooked than "sunny side up" and they have some kind of toast included with breakfast.  We had that experience shortly after they opened under "Spago's".  Maybe we'll give it another try.