Chapala.com Webboard

Airport car rental companies

Europcar is awesome.  Sixt is good.  Thrifty will look for the tiniest ding to claim damages when you turn in.  Stay away from them with a ten foot pole. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those who responded to my first question.

I am seeing price quotes of US 50 cents per day for rentals on the company websites. This makes no sense. The rental companies seem to be making all their money based from the insurance. Has anyone any experience or argument to explain this?

I don't know what company it was, but one of my guests rented a car online from the airport before her trip and was offered insurance purchase (from Allianz) when she booked the car. But when she arrived at the airport, the rental company told her the insurance she purchased wasn't good enough and that she'd have to purchase their insurance, which was $1000US for the 10 days she wanted the car. She was so p*ssed that she only took the car for a day and then rented through an independent car rental business that I turned her onto, with whom she paid less than half of what she would have from the other place. The rental was cheaper as well. The exact same thing happened to other people I know. Just a heads-up.

Insurance is a racket with many of the car rental companies.  They will advertise a very low rate and than the insurance will come to four times this amount.  I remember my first time here.  I got a very good rate from a company for two weeks.  I knew I needed mexican required insurance so I was prepared for this.  I asked if someone else drove the car what happened.  They said I needed additional insurance for this.  What if there was an accident, who fixed the car, again more insurance.  They told me I needed $10,000 on my credit card.  I said why, they said in case someone stole the car.  Again more insurance.  I was quoted $200 for renting the car for 2 weeks, after insurance it came to over $800. 

This is the low season and those rates are real. Insurance is a separate issue. I have to take my Visa benefits booklet that shows they cover 15 or 30 days of full coverage. Optional liability is another scam. Liability comes with car, not the driver, and is already in place.