Chapala.com Webboard

Pharmacy with Doctor who can write prescriptions

20 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

Those are not students doing their service.

Nope, they are graduate medical doctors doing another kind of service, affordable healthcare for the uninsured.

• Like 3

It has been so much fun reading the comments here. Several have been good points but others seemed to be guesses.  

You may ask, "How does this SOB know?". Well, my nephew and several of his friends are doctors that either work or had worked for a pharmacy.

Don't assume that they are bad doctors. There are several reasons why they work there.

Don't assume that the pharmacy is the only place that they work. For example: My nephew also worked at a clinic and hospital while he was working at the pharmacy. He was not alone. Others do too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Would it make a difference to you if the doctor at the pharmacy was paid a hourly wage similar to the hospital/clinic, not the small fee the pharmacy charges? Maybe the pharmacies make their money on the prescriptions.

20 hours ago, Tiny said:

Would it make a difference to you if the doctor at the pharmacy was paid a hourly wage similar to the hospital/clinic, not the small fee the pharmacy charges? Maybe the pharmacies make their money on the prescriptions.

Here's a link to salaries paid to all kinds of employees by Farmacias Similares--everything is included, from the guys who dance in Sr. Simi's costumes to doctors.   https://www.indeed.com.mx/cmp/Farmacias-Similares/salaries

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, More Liana said:
21 hours ago, Tiny said:

Here's a link to salaries paid to all kinds of employees by Farmacias Similares--everything is included, from the guys who dance in Sr. Simi's costumes to doctors.   https://www.indeed.com.mx/cmp/Farmacias-Similares/salaries

Thank you for the link. 

The point I was trying to make is: Yes, many doctors work for a fee but there are many that work for a salary or both (different jobs).

An extremely good friend of mine, who is a superior doctor and spent many years working in the service of others, including foreign countries in disaster zones, worked at a Farm Simi long after he began to practice. Mostly they told him to sell as many scrips for meds as he could. This is a very intelligent man who's only goal is to help.

• Like 1

Went to the doctor at the Benavides Pharmacy adjacent to Soriana. Older man with salt-and-pepper hair, a "real" doctor.  Pleasant man who spoke excellent English. 70 pesos.

BTW just went to the link https://www.indeed.com.mx/cmp/Farmacias-Similares/salaries and I see that a Doctor/a averages 9,600 pesos a month. That is about as much as my housekeeper makes working for me 15 hours a week, and no university education!  Something definitely wrong with the payscale here.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

BTW just went to the link https://www.indeed.com.mx/cmp/Farmacias-Similares/salaries and I see that a Doctor/a averages 9,600 pesos a month. That is about as much as my housekeeper makes working for me 15 hours a week, and no university education!  Something definitely wrong with the payscale here. 

Something is wrong with the math here.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:13 PM, Yo1 said:

Something is wrong with the math here.

Look again.  Those are median salaries.  Highest is about 22,000 pesos.  That's quite a high salary for what is pretty much barely a middle class job.  Doctors here don't make anywhere near what doctors make in the USA, and being a general practitioner isn't a glamour job here.  Understand that these doctors are employees of Farmacia Similares--that's who pays them.  What the patient pays is 40 pesos per consultation--could be 5 minutes, could be 2 hours. 

I was in a Similares waiting room in Mexico City when a young woman was brought in by her companion.  She looked about half dead; she could barely sit up in her chair to wait and was grey of face.  I gave her my turn.  When I left, after a standard-for-me 15-20 minute consultation, she was still in the other doctor's consulting room, with much bustling about by other personnel.  Her companion told me the ambulance was on its way.  Those people paid the same 40 pesos I did for much more urgent and lengthy services.  

• Like 1