Chapala.com Webboard

Enviromental impact concerns

LindaB

In the Lourdes section, on the driveable road up the hill, new construction is continuing. Part of the hill above the road is being reduced to rubble. Seems they are gatheri g stones for the building. The project sits at the elbow of the road. My conern is that come rainy season the now denuded hill will flood the housing below. Possibly flood with a torrent of rocks. My question is does the municipo send around a qualified person to check on the environnental impact of hillside construction? Or do we wait for disaster then point fingers?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, johanson said:

Linda, you wrote "in the Lourdes section driving up the hill".  I am totally confused, where is the Lourdes section? I have absolutely no idea where that might be.

She is talking about upper Lourdes which you get to by driving up the hill from the Monte Carlo Hotel. It's where this chapel is located.

lourdes chapel chapala.jpg

Thanks. Friends got married at this church some 7 years ago. So I have been there. But I had no idea the name of the area. 

I first started coming to Lake Chapala in 1996. Then for 10 days, the following year 4 months and these days, 8 to 9 months of the year. And I thought I knew the name of most neighborhoods. 

There is still so much I don't know about my adopted home.

• Sad 1

Hopefully LindaB will direct her concerns at a problem that really exists. That section of Lourdes has construction of new homes primarily for wealthy Tapatios off and on and any problems during that time are short lived. Lourdes is a mixture of hovels,working class housing. weekender complexes,middle and upper middle class residences,tiny smattering of foreigners and quite a few  astronomically wealthy Mexicans. on the lakeside all the properties belong to the astronomically wealthy. Some have 3-5 homes on them each the size of 1 largish home in Ajijic.