Chapala.com Webboard

composting worms?

Does anyone have  few composting worms they can give me for starting a very small vermiculture system for my kitchen waste?  Gracias.

I don't live Lakeside or I'd hunt you up some. But when I first got my property, I was distressed that when digging for a veggie garden, there wasn't one worm. I guess that's cause the local Mexicans just rake and burn everything, they don't understand composting or adding humus to the soil, so it's just sort of dead and hard. It took about 5 years of adding my compost to the soil for worms to appear, which they did on their own. Now I have lots, though still not nearly as many as I did in my Canadian garden.

I know you'd not likely want to wait that long, I just thought it was interesting that they appeared on their own.

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

Wow, Tiny, thanks!  I didn`t know the right words for Mercado Libre.  Ordering now.

For a free remedy, if you have plant pots on the ground, water the area real good around the pots (because this is the dry season) and check early the next morning before it gets hot.  And check what you find.  With just a few they will lay eggs and reproduce rather quickly in the right conditions.  Or try laying card board down in a shady area and keep it moist, within a few days they will come.  Make sure the cardboard is laying over plenty of wet leaves or mulch to attract them.

3 hours ago, Cronopio said:

I, too, am looking for some red worms for composting. Very interested in any responses!

Cronopio, happy to go in with you on an order from mercado libre.  I don`t need even their minimum order amounts of 1 kilo.

19 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I don't live Lakeside or I'd hunt you up some. But when I first got my property, I was distressed that when digging for a veggie garden, there wasn't one worm. I guess that's cause the local Mexicans just rake and burn everything, they don't understand composting or adding humus to the soil, so it's just sort of dead and hard. It took about 5 years of adding my compost to the soil for worms to appear, which they did on their own. Now I have lots, though still not nearly as many as I did in my Canadian garden.

I know you'd not likely want to wait that long, I just thought it was interesting that they appeared on their own.

This is real interesting right now. Millions are being poured in "biodynamic" farming. One the largest, headed by the founder of Blue Apron Group, is raising heritage chickens which are pasture fed, and the pastures moved around. They plan to process 700,000 chickens per week.They have teamed up with a national (U.S.) fresh food delivery company. They say the heritage chicken will take 55 days to raise, versus the battery chickens 40 days. They are also fed premium feeds, including hemp seed. They are not cheap though - two whole chickens will be $40 delivered to your door. They are banking on the movement towards plant based foods, and meats of higher quality, higher flavor, chemical free. Apparently this biodynamic effect is in the soil, and poultry and cattle raised this way contribute greatly to greenhouse gas reduction and the environment.

https://www.eater.com/2019/4/25/18514860/the-co-founder-of-blue-apron-is-now-selling-heirloom-chickens

The biodynamic farming is based on the musings of Rudolph Steiner. Off topic, but I was helping my mother with her desktop publishing business, and would fill in for her on her holidays. One customer was translating obscure Rudolph Steiner writings from German to English. That was one long slog!

Here are some rather bizarre recipes by Steiner for a natural biodynamic garden or farm.

http://www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com/biodynamics.html

11 hours ago, Cronopio said:

Good idea!  I'll pm you.

I didn`t see a pm.  I`ll be ordering the worms as soon as I can figure out the Spanish on the mercado libre site!  When I have them, I`ll try to pm you.

1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

I didn`t see a pm.  I`ll be ordering the worms as soon as I can figure out the Spanish on the mercado libre site!  When I have them, I`ll try to pm you.

What browser do you use? There are ways to translate the web pages.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:51 PM, Tiny said:

What browser do you use? There are ways to translate the web pages.

I use Chrome.  Any ideas for translating the Mercado Libre site?

On 4/25/2019 at 7:57 PM, dichosalocura said:

For a free remedy, if you have plant pots on the ground, water the area real good around the pots (because this is the dry season) and check early the next morning before it gets hot.  And check what you find.  With just a few they will lay eggs and reproduce rather quickly in the right conditions.  Or try laying card board down in a shady area and keep it moist, within a few days they will come.  Make sure the cardboard is laying over plenty of wet leaves or mulch to attract them.

Have done my scouting.  As many have found in their area, there are no worms on my property.

12 hours ago, Tiny said:

I added the Chrome extension, Google Translate, to my Chrome browser.

Do you know how to add an extension to Chrome?

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/2588006?hl=en

I added it but how do you use it in a website?  When I click on the icon while in a website, the window that comes up is empty, nothing to translate.  If, one at a time, I have to select each phrase then drop it into the window, it does not seem worth the trouble.

2 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

I added it but how do you use it in a website?

Go to a page that is in Spanish. One of the rows toward the top of the browser should have a button for the translator. Click on it. It should ask to translate the whole page. 

There is a way to do it automatically but I am not using my PC now so I will check later.

12 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

I added it but how do you use it in a website?  When I click on the icon while in a website, the window that comes up is empty, nothing to translate.  If, one at a time, I have to select each phrase then drop it into the window, it does not seem worth the trouble.

Let me go get on my PC.

6 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Go to a page that is in Spanish. One of the rows toward the top of the browser should have a button for the translator. Click on it. It should ask to translate the whole page. 

There is a way to do it automatically but I am not using my PC now so I will check later.

I do not see that option.

There IS a "worm farm" and compost / black earth operation at lakeside, just east of Tlachichilco, south of the carraterra on the old callejon to Mezcala.      Will post back here with the link to the exact location.    And you can stop in at Focaccia on the way for a snack or meal.

21 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

There IS a "worm farm" and compost / black earth operation at lakeside, just east of Tlachichilco, south of the carraterra on the old callejon to Mezcala.      Will post back here with the link to the exact location.    And you can stop in at Focaccia on the way for a snack or meal.

Thanks, I would love the link since I travel that area but am not aware of the old road to Mezcala. Is it the road labeled Juarez on maps?

7 minutes ago, Tiny said:

When I left click on the blue button with a "G" on it, it asks to translate the whole page. Check that. 

When I do that, I only get a small blank window with "Translate" next to it.

Here's the map coordinates;  these local old roads are in tough shape, so plan to take an SUV or something rugged with some ground clearance....it is easier to go in through the pueblo of Tlachichilco, and continue to follow 16 de Sept east, than to turn south off of the carraterra directly above it.

20.335515, -103.078470