Chapala.com Webboard

Blowing your nose at the Table

texmextwo

42 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

There are people who fart at the table.  

So this case is a clash of family values/manners.  If you put up a stink you're saying, my family is better than yours, in essence, my genes are better than yours.

Think of your options when disagreeing with others; you can avoid them, try to convert them,  join them or kill them.

US women are being arrested or fined for breast feeding in public.  Who are the people who find that despicable?  Well I'd guess they're mostly old, White, God-fearin folks whose ma and pa are brother and sister.    

Do you know who has the right to blow his nose at the table?  The person who owns the table.

The sound of snot while I am eating makes me want to throw up.

11 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara

This board is for people with interest in the Lake Chapala area and in moving to Mexico.
Proper forum etiquette is to be observed or posts may be deleted in order to make this forum a valuable resource to all.

If someone continues to behave in this way ( nose blowing) at this age, that is a shame. People are waking up to coughing into their sleeve and not into their hand and other infection  prevention habits. If this continues, and I agree it would ruin my dinner, you just have to say something. It doesn't have to be nasty, " I am very susceptible to respiratory infections, would you mind not doing that at the table?" Now the person may be embarrassed or even angry, but not saying anything won't stop the habit and the person will wonder why you don't go out to dinner with them.  Either way you won't be going out to dinner anymore, but perhaps it would be an eye opener. I would suggest you take that person aside and not say anything on front of other people.

I think the main reason people get upset is how they are confronted about an issue.   i.e.Instead of complaining at a dinner table that you found the food XXXXX. Take the waiter aside and explain calmly.

Had to delete all the personal attacks.  Note the post that started the chain of attacks did not personally attack anyone.  Some of us really need to learn how not to get personal when they don't like the opinion or posts of others.

What is missing here are alternative suggestions for someone who has a sinus condition that causes congestion when eating. 

This is a common condition.  What would you have people do?  Get up and leave the table multiple times during a meal?

I have it.  There are two choices, either have snot running down my face when eating or discretely blow the nose.  A lot of the food served in restaurants here triggers it for me, probably because of spices or other additives.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/gustatory-rhinitis-82824

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

This is a common condition.  What would you have people do?  Get up and leave the table multiple times during a meal?

I have it.  There are two choices, either have snot running down my face when eating or discretely blow the nose.  A lot of the food served in restaurants here triggers it for me, probably because of spices or other additives.

Thanks, Mainecoons. My husband had this for 6 months, as soon as I would bring his dinner to him he would sneeze and have a runny nose. Fortunately this symptom has disappeared,but who knows why. I tend to get it at breakfast time. Sorry this person is so freaked out about nose blowing at the table,but I remember a date (many many years ago) who took me home to meet his folks for dinner. He cautioned me against clearing my throat or coughing during the meal as his Mother would be upset because she witnessed someone choke to death at dinner when she was a child....sometimes people are stuck at some level of development emotionally  and we have to live with it---or not.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Nothing is worth saying to people who do things like this- if they haven't figured out that it's grossly bad manners by now (assuming they're not 5 years old) what hope is there? 

I agree except talking with food in their mouth. They may not realize they are doing it. They just can't wait to finish a bite before they say something.

I just keep repeating "What did you say".

58 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

Had to delete all the personal attacks.  Note the post that started the chain of attacks did not personally attack anyone.  Some of us really need to learn how not to get personal when they don't like the opinion or posts of others.

What is missing here are alternative suggestions for someone who has a sinus condition that causes congestion when eating. 

JonnyWhoever post

"Who are the people who find that despicable?  Well I'd guess they're mostly old, White, God-fearin folks whose ma and pa are brother and sister."

I find this very personal and offensive. Why was not this and many more vile comments (some a lot worse) by this poster over many months not deleted as was mine calling out this bigoted, offensive person?     

• Sad 4

13 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I suggest you put him on ignore.

Or learn how to ignore crap here and the rest of your life. I was told "just be the bigger person and ignore it". 

Life is too short.

Chinese are also sensitive to nose blowing, but have no problem horking up gobs on the sidewalk. Except in Kuala Lumpur - big fine for this. Many Chinese and Mexican men seem to have no problem with a toothpick constantly hanging out their mouth. Looks dangerous to me. Then there is hat etiquette, no baseball caps in the better dining and drinking establishments. Trouble for the red hatters, you know who I mean, who brazenly wear  their caps where they know they shouldn't - a double insult.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Many Chinese and Mexican men seem to have no problem with a toothpick constantly hanging out their mouth. Looks dangerous to me. Then there is hat etiquette, no baseball caps in the better dining and drinking establishments. Trouble for the red hatters, you know who I mean, who brazenly wear  their caps where they know they shouldn't - a double insult.

So they don't meet up to your standards of etiquette?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Was it directed at you individually?  No it was not.  OTOH your post was a very specific and personal attack.

I suggest you put him on ignore.

I am a White, God-fearin (sic) folk, and my ma and pa are NOT brother and sister. Even if this was not directed at me, I find it highly offensive and fact very sick as have been many, many more by this same person in the past. I would be surprised if over 95% of the good folk here also do not find this highly inappropriate and not at all conducive to the high standards of this board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Setting standards or expectations on human behaviour is doomed from the start.

At least we are a generation from those men who use cloth hankerchiefs over and over. And the poor women who had to soak them in a bucket with bleach to dislodge the dry bits so they could be laundered and pressed. Gross!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

When my kids were young, if they started crying or being loud or otherwise displaying behavior that would disturb other diners, that's exactly what I did- got up, left the table and either took them outside or into the bathroom until they calmed down and acknowledged that behavior wasn't tolerated in a restaurant. Sometimes "multiple times during a meal".

And I didn't take them out to eat at all when they were too young to understand this. Just as someone who finds it necessary to blow their nose at the dinner table in a public place might consider that their condition precludes going out for dinner, or only sitting on the outskirts of an outdoor dining area so as to disturb as few others as possible.

• Like 1