Chapala.com Webboard

You are not in Kansas anymore

I don't often get involved in other people's business and I have only been in Mexico for a relatively short duration but I have throughout my life stood for what is right in the face of bullying.

It has come to my attention that a group of American expats have apparently been trying to push their weight and fabricated rights upon an old and honorable Mexican family.

I feel obliged to speak my mind on this situation here. The Frances family has made their home west of Ajijic for several generations. In time passed by, the patriarch was hesitant to sell land to the gringo foreigners but gradually gave in and in the process created Rancho Del Oro.

Now his descendent has created a tasteful and well designed RV park on their large lot on Rio Amazonas. There are about 7 or 8 spaces for RVs behind a wall with entry through a gate. Unless one is looking for the park, it is barely noticeable as one drives or walks past.

The local American neighbors have held meetings, drafted a petition and hired a lawyer all in their decided effort to rid 'their' neighborhood of this monstrosity; an RV park, representative of a class of people far below their social standing; to rid their neighborhood of this eyesore that could lower their property values. [obvious sarcasm]

Who do they think they are?  Do they think their American rights apply here in Mexico? Don't they know how the economy and culture works around here? Lots are rented, loaned, traded for all sorts of uses and most are accepted by the Mexican population. There are certain prohibitory regulations applied to certain areas but this is not one of them.

There would be a permit to operate an RV park but the municipality offers no such permit. This does not prohibit such an operation, just means a municipal permit does not exist.

The city of Chapala has given in to the spoiled Americans and have posted CLAUSURADO (closed) on the gate.

Why should they (the Americans) have a right to negatively impact a family's way of life and potential income? It is especially rotten since the Americans would not have their homes without this family.

These puny-minded Americans should be ashamed of their behavior. There is no noise or odors coming from the RV park. As stated, it is barely noticeable. They are just as you might imagine, nose in the air complainers. They will know who they are if they read this and I hope they know who I am so they can explain themselves in person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, timjwilson said:

I don't often get involved in other people's business and I have only been in Mexico for a relatively short duration but I have throughout my life stood for what is right in the face of bullying.

It has come to my attention that a group of American expats have apparently been trying to push their weight and fabricated rights upon an old and honorable Mexican family.

I feel obliged to speak my mind on this situation here. The Frances family has made their home west of Ajijic for several generations. In time passed by, the patriarch was hesitant to sell land to the gringo foreigners but gradually gave in and in the process created Rancho Del Oro.

A lot of expats feel they own the place, I'm sure they have been favored due to the fact that they are foreigners and government sees them as having $$.The family being Mexican should know how to work things out, as the saying goes "Pa los Trompos son las cuerdas".

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

And I edited the thread to remove the rest of the not relevant political commentary.

RVing is practically non existent in Mexico.  The people using this place are very likely to be from the U.S. and Canada.  

Three or four spaces are used by Mexicans, interestingly.

4 minutes ago, ambconsultants said:

Well not an advocate either way about bad expats, but I assume it is against the zoning laws and probably the fraccs rules. So maybe not bad gringos against the mexicans. Maybe just not legally permitted.

I’ve never heard of zoning laws in Mexico. That’s one of the things we like about Mexico, little government incursion. 

3 hours ago, timjwilson said:

Now his descendent has created a tasteful and well designed RV park on their large lot on Rio Amazonas. There are about 7 or 8 spaces for RVs behind a wall with entry through a gate. Unless one is looking for the park, it is barely noticeable as one drives or walks past.

The local American neighbors have held meetings, drafted a petition and hired a lawyer all in their decided effort to rid 'their' neighborhood of this monstrosity; an RV park, representative of a class of people far below their social standing; to rid their neighborhood of this eyesore that could lower their property values. [obvious sarcasm]

Who do they think they are?  Do they think their American rights apply here in Mexico? Don't they know how the economy and culture works around here? Lots are rented, loaned, traded for all sorts of uses and most are accepted by the Mexican population. There are certain prohibitory regulations applied to certain areas but this is not one of them.

There would be a permit to operate an RV park but the municipality offers no such permit. This does not prohibit such an operation, just means a municipal permit does not exist.

The city of Chapala has given in to the spoiled Americans and have posted CLAUSURADO (closed) on the gate.

Why should they (the Americans) have a right to negatively impact a family's way of life and potential income? It is especially rotten since the Americans would not have their homes without this family.

These puny-minded Americans should be ashamed of their behavior. There is no noise or odors coming from the RV park. As stated, it is barely noticeable. They are just as you might imagine, nose in the air complainers. They will know who they are if they read this and I hope they know who I am so they can explain themselves in person.

7 times you used "American (s)". I think we get the message that "Americans" are not your favorite people. :(

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

I’ve never heard of zoning laws in Mexico. That’s one of the things we like about Mexico, little government incursion. 

There are federal and municipal zoning laws in Mexico.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mexico.leyderecho.org/zonificacion/amp/

Google Translation:

" Type: Federal

Publication Date: 07/21/1993

Zoning in the Local Administration

Concept of zoning in the context of municipal government and the local Mexican public administration: Process that allows to regulate and govern human activity in a broad sense. The municipality, through Article 115 of the Constitution, has the possibility to intervene directly in the orientation of the growth of population centers and centers of economic activity with the aim of restoring its social function to urban and rural land. (Vlmedo, The engineers, p 57-59) This article gives the authorities retardation the powers to assume the tasks of zoning, formulate development plans, regulate land tenure and carry out the creation of territorial reserves and administration of the ecological zones. The municipalities will have to formulate, approve and administer the zoning of the population centers located in their territory. For this purpose, zoning shall be understood as: 1The determination of the areas that make up and delimit a population center; 11 The determination of the predominant uses in the different zones within the areas referred to in the previous section, and III The regulation of uses, destinations and reserves through the corresponding declarations. (Official Gazette, February 7, 1984, p 20) "

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

You are a guest in this country, never forget that

You are wrong on this, though I happen to agree with you on the posting. We are not guest!  We as retirees were invited and pay to be here and we provide our on income.  We have come legally.  We provide jobs and incomes. Wi we are guest what are the illegals? A lot of Mexicans have a lot of trouble accepting that the Mexican government issues passes to foreign job takers from the south and provides work permits when they can't even take care of their own. Are the illegals working illegally in the USA guest too?

If someone breaks into the house where you are living are you going to be happy just recognizing them as uninvited guest?

PS: Rancho de Oro is not a functioning frac. There are NO elected officials and NO money to repair anything with.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Yes there are laws.  Here's the number 1 law:  He with the most influence wins the case.

1 hour ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Law Shma.  RU a new arrival?

Don't you ever shut up? LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

7 times you used "American (s)". I think we get the message that "Americans" are not your favorite people. :(

I'm American. My father and mother were American. Your statement has nothing to do with anything but looking over your forum history, I can see that contrary is your way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ambconsultants said:

Well not an advocate either way about bad expats, but I assume it is against the zoning laws and probably the fraccs rules. So maybe not bad gringos against the mexicans. Maybe just not legally permitted.

I already covered that. It is not.

2 hours ago, ambconsultants said:

Yes there are zonings laws. Chapala has most areas mapped and approved. It is municipal law. I assume in that area it is classified as h2 which is residential and depending on the area and the size of the lot probably would not allow for a trailer park. The zoning plans are on the chapala web site.

The lot is about 17,000 sq. meters and as far as I know, zoning is not an issue. It is mostly a farming area interspersed with some new and older houses. Thanks for the info. 

18 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

I'm American. My father and mother were American. Your statement has nothing to do with anything but looking over your forum history, I can see that contrary is your way.

"I am Canadian/American and so am not so engrossed in the Trump battle. " (That is what you posted in a p. m. to me.) Wonder why you failed to mention that here? Hit a nerve, did I? This seems a little "contrary" to me, no? :D

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, HookEmHorns said:

"I am Canadian/American and so am not so engrossed in the Trump battle. " That is what you posted in a p. message to me. This seems a little "contrary" to me, no? :D

Well to begin with perhaps you should be thrown off the forum for posting a private message. Yes I am both Canadian and American and don't really care about Trump.  If you must know, my father served US naval intelligence and when I was born while in Canada I required so much surgery that I had to remain in Canada which was superior and cheaper for that in those times. Perhaps you are too full of yourself to post the rest of the private message.