Chapala.com Webboard

where to find cal

2 hours ago, bmh said:

At the tianguis if you want to Cook with it or hardware store for constructivo or paint. What i have not been able to find is lime or cal viva.. All i found was cal apagada or calcium hydroxide

What is the difference between the kind you cook with and the hardware store kind?  Are these calcium hydroxide?  Gracias.

Calcium hydroxide

Calcium hydroxide
Calcium hydroxide

Calcium hydroxide (traditionally called slaked lime) is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula Ca(OH)2. It is a colorless crystal or white powder and is obtained when quicklime (calcium oxide) is mixed, or slaked with water. It has many names including hydrated lime, caustic lime, builders' lime, slack lime, cal, or pickling lime. Calcium hydroxide is used in many applications, including food preparation, where it has been identified as E number E526. Limewater is the common name for a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide.

4 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Yum!

It's what gives tortillas that special taste.

Nixtamalization is a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the corn is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewaterwashed, and then hulled.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

What kind of quality are you looking for? Can you read the data sheets?

If you want higher qualities, you have to buy in Guadalajara and have it shipped here, or pick it up yourself.

http://www.oxical.mx/

Cal viva, quicklime, would be difficult to ship because it has a violent reaction when exposed to water.

Thanks, found out all I need is standard cal.