Chapala.com Webboard

Best Border Crossing

gringal

3 hours ago, gringal said:

A friend from the States has been vacationing in Mexico for a few weeks...before the delays at the border crossings.  They are heading home now and asked which crossing has the least delay right now.  Anyone know?

Gringal as you know I travel quite a bit from Mexico to Colorado so have used many of the crossings. If they are open to using slightly smaller crossings, I would recommend Eagle Pass or Del Rio Texas. Under normal circumstances I usually cross within 20 minutes at either. 

However, circumstances are NOT normal these days and it will probably take a 'watchful eye' using the CBP website below.  It tells, by the hour, crossing times for ALL.  Watch it for a couple of days at all times of the day to get maybe a better idea of which crossing seems to be more lax, and when.  For example Del Rio seems to be better than most at all times of the day for the last week or so. Having said that, all crossings have their good times.... like at 8:00 tonight even Laredo has a 10 minute delay and Colombia has a 'no delay' status as did Eagle Pass and Del Rio. YMMV

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp

We've traveled many times between here and our daughter's home in Colorado Springs and find that the crossing at Sta. Teresa, just west of El Paso/Juarez, is the fastest. Usually no more than one or two cars ahead of us.

I crossed at Colombia this week.  Two websites reported 1 hr 20 minute delay at 2 pm when I made the final R turn off of Hwy 2, only about 1 km from the bridge.  We crossed at 5 pm.   CBP had a truck midway on the bridge.  I would not rely on a website nowadays.  Only two lanes open for passenger traffic until I was at the front of the line.  Then CBP opened two more passenger lanes.  YMMV

10 hours ago, Kiko said:

I crossed at Colombia this week.  Two websites reported 1 hr 20 minute delay at 2 pm when I made the final R turn off of Hwy 2, only about 1 km from the bridge.  We crossed at 5 pm.   CBP had a truck midway on the bridge.  I would not rely on a website nowadays.  Only two lanes open for passenger traffic until I was at the front of the line.  Then CBP opened two more passenger lanes.  YMMV

What day of the week did you cross?

We experienced something similar when we traveled up at the end of the Xmas vacation. The website said something like 180 minutes but people had been waiting for many, many hours. I'm sure hundreds slept in their cars overnight at Colombia. I wonder if they count the time from when one enters US territory, not from the back of the line...