Chapala.com Webboard

Colonoscopy

On 4/19/2019 at 9:30 AM, Lily H said:

People can also choose to get colonoscopy done without sedation. 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:30 AM, Lily H said:

People can also choose to get colonoscopy done without sedation. 

Really ? Would a person really go through it without sedation ? There are a few curves in the colon the scope has to maneuver .  Not a good time ! 

Is the poop-in-the-box test available here?  I used it in the US, covered in full by Medicare.  NO prep.  It may not be as extensive as colonoscopy but I never did a colonoscopy, but I did this.  So in that sense, good for many. 

https://www.cologuardtest.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhuvlBRCeARIsAM720HrMoXURCuyUZCR_iA1FAGP4S83E63Q63FMdnwWBO7L0OQo5eohipbQaAjz0EALw_wcB

Dr. James Church, well known GI doctor in the Digestive Disease Institute at Cleveland Clinic, wrote:

"Different colonoscopists take different approaches to sedation and pain management. My approach is to have patients awake and responsive. They can help me with the colonoscopy by holding their breath or turning from side to side. They get a small dose of a sedative and more, if needed."

"Most patients do fine with the initial dose, but some need more because their colons are unusually long or twisty."

"Other colonoscopists just knock patients out. This can be a problem, as patients respond to drugs in different ways, and sometimes they can stop breathing. In addition, recovery is a lot longer."

"Some patients have a colonoscopy with no medication at all. (I did this twice). In general, the lighter the sedation, the better the colonoscopists technique has to be."

* I apologize to the OP for changing the topic a bit.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:18 PM, bojackson said:

I'd like to hear from folks who have had a colonoscopy performed in this area.  Guadalajara in particular.  Hospital, doctor, cost, any experience good or bad with the procedure.  Appreciate any input, positive or negative.

Well I guess you got to hear the good the bad and the ugly ...have you been able to come to a decision???

My poop-in-the-box or Cologuard test came back positive.  When she received the report back from Cologuard, my internist in the States said I needed to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy as soon as possible.  Of course, false positives on the Cologuard are not unheard of but colonoscopy is the next step after the test returns positive.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:57 PM, Creature of Habit said:

Had had one done in Dr Leon’s office, not at clinic Ajijic.   I don’t know whether the equipment is set up there anymore but the Dr came from Guadalajara, along with the anesthesiologist.  After a month I went to a gastroenterologist that did not like the quality of the photos and sent me to a endoscopy clinic in Guadalajara that the doctor liked the equipment. 

Well I stand corrected then, and my apologies.  However, they don't do them there any more; they are now done at the Ajijic Hospital.  Thanks for getting back to me.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, Bisbee Gal said:

Is the poop-in-the-box test available here?  I used it in the US, covered in full by Medicare.  NO prep.  It may not be as extensive as colonoscopy but I never did a colonoscopy, but I did this.  So in that sense, good for many. 

https://www.cologuardtest.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhuvlBRCeARIsAM720HrMoXURCuyUZCR_iA1FAGP4S83E63Q63FMdnwWBO7L0OQo5eohipbQaAjz0EALw_wcB

I have a test every six months or so, maybe I am a coward, but no history of this terrible disease in my family. Three stool samples over three days, your doctor will be asking for fecal occulto test to see if there is microscopic blood. If it shows this, then on to colonoscopy. This is also the standard procedure in Canada, where they would pay for it.

FYI a colon ct scan is an alternative to a colonoscopy. I've had 2, ten years apart. The same preparation regimen applies. There is mild discomfort/pain as the colon is inflated slightly with gas (CO2 ?). If polyps are discovered then colonoscopy is needed.

Any medical center with a scanner and 'gas equipment' should be able to do this.