Chapala.com Webboard

Young pets & elderly persons

Please..many people here would like to adopt . Please consider your age .  It is not fair to the doggie if the person can Not walk it or to take care of it properly . Worse yet  the individual has to get rid of the pet after a short time due to illness .when my mother died , My father adopted a little Yorkie , shortly after he became ill ..( 78 years old .) .  He had to give up his Yorkie (which broke his heart) . Most people would think that at least the pet would have some time in a loving home .  But what happens when you have to re-home ? I am very sure there will be many people who don’t agree with me . But please look at previous posts on other threads . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In most cases, yes to that.... UNLESS the senior has a younger family member willing, able, and prepared to take in the dog or cat when they are gone.  Two people in their 80's near us wanted a new dog after losing their old pet.  Ended up with a  4 month puppy (tried to dissuade) but they assured me family  would step in.

Best thing that could have happened for all.  Man is out daily walking their SPOILED baby, and mom takes here everywhere for car rides etc. and all three are a happy, happy family.So sometimes there are exceptions.

• Like 1

Older dogs AND shelter dogs are not mutually exclusive. At the Ranch we have some older dogs - over 5 years - as well as lots of young ones. We have been working so hard, and have adopted many of our long timers. (Thank you Ranch volunteers!) We also have taken in a few older dogs, some of whom come from homes where they learned house manners so they fit in more quickly.

And remember if you do get a younger dog, training is a must.

2 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Older dogs AND shelter dogs are not mutually exclusive. At the Ranch we have some older dogs - over 5 years - as well as lots of young ones. We have been working so hard, and have adopted many of our long timers. (Thank you Ranch volunteers!) We also have taken in a few older dogs, some of whom come from homes where they learned house manners so they fit in more quickly.

I adopted an old dog from the Ranch who had been there a very long time. She walked with me through my house, sniffed my cats and dog and then climbed up on the sofa. That was her “adjustment.” She has been with me three years and has been a love and a joy. I have never had any regrets. Would adopt another old, long-time Ranch resident in a heartbeat. You guys do an amazing job. Thank you. 

• Like 8

On 4/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, MtnMama said:

I adopted a dog from the Ranch who had lived there for eleven years. Boy was I surprised that he never messed in the house. So you never I ow. Senior dogs are the best especially for senior people.

• Like 2

We also adopted a senior dog Petunia from The Ranch she was 10 when we adopted her, she had also spent all her life at The Ranch.  We took her home, she settled in right away as if she had been with us all her life.  We had her for 4 years,  4 very special years.  She was the most amazing dog we ever owned.  Keep up the good work you wonderful people at The Ranch.

• Like 2