Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala - a state of mind

For the poster who's opinion on Chapala/Ajijic is based on the comments of tired old musicians, who only see the night time here, and are lucky to see 200 pesos for a nights work here. For the poster who thinks he would not be accepted here because he is "bi-racial". Firstly people are very accepting here - bi-racial, bi-sexual, bi-polar, bi-cultural, bi-pedal whatever you've got. Secondly, "gringos" are definitely the minority here, I would say 10%, even in what they call the "high" season here (which I have never understood, lots of chilly, cloudy, days and nights). Yes, many of them are retired, or semi-retired, and they evolve into a completely different mindset - from a world where time is money, to a world where time is just time. Much of Mexico is stuck in the second category, which is one reason it is so fascinating. There is a sort of feeling of rebellion here, that they doing something different than hanging around the U.S.A. and Canada retirement hotspots, bragging about their family's various accomplishments. I have noticed this among the Tapatios too, dragging their patrons and mama grandes out here for a happy family weekend. And the common thread here, from everyone who falls in love with Lakeside, is nature. The hillside residential areas are spectacularly beautiful right now, birds, flowers, trees, all an explosion of color. The breezes are clean, full of oxygen. All you want to do is to take a deep breath of fresh air and then flop into the swimming pool. Bliss. The grand lake, the gorgeous sunrises. This place just beams with life, and it seems to seep deep into your soul. Unfortunately, like all states of mind, or "scenes" - they are very fragile. Things can change radically within one generation. We are seeing already with the profusion of giant, multi-story condo developments, each buyer choosing to be encased in sterile, glass living spaces. Nature is something to be viewed from afar.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Jonny, if you live in such a paradise why you always so combative ?  Relax and enjoy!

I think he is very relaxed and enjoying. Many others on here not so much. And what's with a bunch of you always using that word[paradise] cavalierly. there is no such thing except a TV show with a guy surrounded by a whole bunch of babes who pretend they want to marry him.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, CHILLIN said:

For the poster who's opinion on Chapala/Ajijic is based on the comments of tired old musicians, who only see the night time here, and are lucky to see 200 pesos for a nights work here. For the poster who thinks he would not be accepted here because he is "bi-racial". Firstly people are very accepting here - bi-racial, bi-sexual, bi-polar, bi-cultural, bi-pedal whatever you've got. Secondly, "gringos" are definitely the minority here, I would say 10%, even in what they call the "high" season here (which I have never understood, lots of chilly, cloudy, days and nights). Yes, many of them are retired, or semi-retired, and they evolve into a completely different mindset - from a world where time is money, to a world where time is just time. Much of Mexico is stuck in the second category, which is one reason it is so fascinating. There is a sort of feeling of rebellion here, that they doing something different than hanging around the U.S.A. and Canada retirement hotspots, bragging about their family's various accomplishments. I have noticed this among the Tapatios too, dragging their patrons and mama grandes out here for a happy family weekend. And the common thread here, from everyone who falls in love with Lakeside, is nature. The hillside residential areas are spectacularly beautiful right now, birds, flowers, trees, all an explosion of color. The breezes are clean, full of oxygen. All you want to do is to take a deep breath of fresh air and then flop into the swimming pool. Bliss. The grand lake, the gorgeous sunrises. This place just beams with life, and it seems to seep deep into your soul. Unfortunately, like all states of mind, or "scenes" - they are very fragile. Things can change radically within one generation. We are seeing already with the profusion of giant, multi-story condo developments, each buyer choosing to be encased in sterile, glass living spaces. Nature is something to be viewed from afar.

Good post. I made the jump 16 years ago. Never regretted it for a minute.

Ignore the hijackers if you can.