Chapala.com Webboard

Easter lilies

cedros

I will have been here 10 years in July, and have never found an Easter lily.  I also miss hyacinths, daffodils and tulips.  However, we have the beautiful primavera tree (yellow), jacarandas (purple), followed by lluvia de oro (golden rain) trees, which I believe are the last Spring flower here.  So I am very happy with Mexico's flowers, even though I miss the ones from Canada.

I realize it isn't a tradition here but I need one. I have been here 10 years also. Every year I have found one. I found one at the vivero in San Juan Cosala but the flowers won't open for several weeks. Another nursery says they will get some in Saturday.

3 hours ago, cedros said:

I realize it isn't a tradition here but I need one. I have been here 10 years also. Every year I have found one. I found one at the vivero in San Juan Cosala but the flowers won't open for several weeks. Another nursery says they will get some in Saturday.

I would think that you can find cut ones in the flower stores in SJC

29 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I would think that you can find cut ones in the flower stores in SJC

I didn't see any but maybe.

Pink ones in photo are Asiatic lilies.  These also come in "almost" pure white ---- long stems you see in tianguis and flower shops.

Orange look like what we know as Tiger Lilies, but should not be in season right now so??

Cedros, can't you make the "white" Asiatics do?

5 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Pink ones in photo are Asiatic lilies.  These also come in "almost" pure white ---- long stems you see in tianguis and flower shops.

Orange look like what we know as Tiger Lilies, but should not be in season right now so??

Cedros, can't you make the "white" Asiatics do?

I might have to make them do but a nearby viviero says they will have Easter lilies in tomorrow. We will see. 

16 hours ago, suegarn said:

Our Easter lily plant (growing outdoors in the ground) has been blooming for a few weeks now.

Are they easy to grow here and where did you find one?  Is it possible to get a cutting from one.  I do not know much about growing lilies, but would love to have my own Easter lily plant.  Private message me if you don't mind, with more information.  Do they need to be planted in full sun, half sun, partial shade, etc.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, Arroyos said:

Are they easy to grow here and where did you find one?  Is it possible to get a cutting from one.  I do not know much about growing lilies, but would love to have my own Easter lily plant.  Private message me if you don't mind, with more information.  Do they need to be planted in full sun, half sun, partial shade, etc.  Thanks.

Lilies don't grow from cuttings. They are bulbs.  Google for info on growing, propagating etc.  VERY important they are planted at correct depth or will never flower!

2 hours ago, cedros said:

So the nursery got the Easter lily in for me but it isn't a real Easter lily. It is a large white lily.

So why don't you  share with us photos   what you thought you we're going to be  getting and what you received. Sorry your Easter expectations have been  dashed 

16 hours ago, Tiny said:

There are different types of Easter lilies.  Maybe you are only use to one kind.

Don't think so.  Easter lily is Lilium longiflorum  and blooms in a different manner than many other "white" (and other colored) lilies 🧐

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

Don't think so.  Easter lily is Lilium longiflorum  and blooms in a different manner than many other "white" (and other colored) lilies 🧐

So maybe next time you should use some DNA testing to make sure you get exactly what you want and leave all of the other lilies for the rest of us to enjoy.  HAHAHAHAHA

22 hours ago, Natasha said:

Correct. There is only one Easter lily.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:48 PM, Tiny said:

There are different types of Easter lilies.  Maybe you are only use to one kind.

There is only one species of Easter lily. There are other lilies that bloom around Easter but they are not Easter lilies.

2 hours ago, cedros said:

There is only one species of Easter lily. There are other lilies that bloom around Easter but they are not Easter lilies.

"Lilium longiflorum (Japanese: テッポウユリ, Teppōyuri), often called the Easter lily, is a plant endemic to both Taiwan and Ryukyu Islands (Japan). Lilium formosana, a closely related species from Taiwan, has been treated as a variety of Easter lily in the past."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_longiflorum