Chapala.com Webboard
gringal

Money Orders?

I would like to send a Money Order in dollars (under $100) to a relative in the States.  I have U.S. dollars in hand to cover it.  Is there a bank here  that does this?

You can pay for your money order in the Post Office by Multiva.

Or get the wire transfer information from your relative's bank in the States. Take that information to your Ajijic bank for wire transfer.

50 minutes ago, Lily H said:

You can pay for your money order in the Post Office by Multiva.

Or get the wire transfer information from your relative's bank in the States. Take that information to your Ajijic bank for wire transfer.

Thanks, but the cost for wire transfers is not inexpensive, and this is a smallish birthday gift.  I'll go with the Post Office suggestion.

If you have a US bank, almost all checking accounts have free Bill Pay.  You can use it for individuals as well as for businesses.  I use this all the time, NO fees and the bank even pays for the postage!  It is very easy to set up.

If you use PayPal, I believe the person you send the $$ to will have PayPal's "commission" deducted from what you send them.  

Paypal’s send to friend process with funds originating from a checking account is free and quick. Bank bill payer works well but normally takes about a week.

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

Paypal’s send to friend process with funds originating from a checking account is free and quick. Bank bill payer works well but normally takes about a week.

The one caveat is that both 'ends' of the transaction must be within the US. Can't currently send from/to SOB if one's bank is there.

21 minutes ago, RickS said:

The one caveat is that both 'ends' of the transaction must be within the US. Can't currently send from/to SOB if one's bank is there.

Good to know.