Chapala.com Webboard

moving to Lake Chapala area with COPD

KarenR

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Have you ever been anywhere in Mexico that isn't dusty in the dry season and where they don't burn the fields?  I think it's fairly country-wide.

Not everyone is a heat and humidity wimp. I've lived on the coast north of PV for about 17 years. I've never had AC, don't need it, don't want it. Fans work fine for me and many others. 

Wow. You musta got up on the wrong side of the fan today. Yeah, six years living full time in San Pancho was enough for me. I also wasn't too impressed with having to buy a car with air conditioning so I could get the butter home before it melted. It's not the heat, since it's 33 C. in my courtyard right now, it's the humidity.... which is also difficult for anyone with COPD.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323657.php

Karen did not give her current location and that would be a good clue as to how well she may cope here. But, somebody who is using oxygen 24/7 (as stated in her OP) should exercise extra caution no matter where they choose to live. There are plenty of variables and extremes in the stages of COPD. For her, I think it may be difficult

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Interesting point of view Al Berca. So, what are all the recommended moves to lower altitudes in this thread about then if the simple solution is to have oxygen 24/7 ?

I don't consider needing oxyen 24/7 to be a desirable situation in the first place, and moving to this altitude might also aggravate the condition enough to move it to a further stage. 

• Thanks 2

There is no cure for COPD. One can only try to treat the symptoms. Needing oxygen 24/7 would seem to indicate a rather severe situation, perhaps "end stage".  COPD gets worse with time, and is eventually fatal. It puts great strain on the heart, generally subjecting the person to congestive heart failure.  My credentials: I have both.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

There is no cure for COPD. One can only try to treat the symptoms. Needing oxygen 24/7 would seem to indicate a rather severe situation, perhaps "end stage".  COPD gets worse with time, and is eventually fatal. It puts great strain on the heart, generally subjecting the person to congestive heart failure.  My credentials: I have both.

Interesting item in the news recently re COPD survival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYsHb9dTb4

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

If she is on oxygen 24/7 as she stated, she should be able to live anywhere she chooses since the oxygen and humidity level in the atmosphere will have no impact on her receiving adequate levels of oxygen and moisture through  her medical devices.

I don’t think you know what copd is. The amount of oxygen delivered to your bloodstream depends on several factors. Partial pressure of oxygen is only one of them.

My advise is you need to make a visit here during the worst time of the year. Just like if you are moving anywhere.

Also, if you do decide to move here, consider buying your own electrical backup for the portable oxygen concentrator.