Chapala.com Webboard

Border Crossing Laredo area

RickS

52 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Ler's talk about construction, instead:  A bunch of shiny new chain link enclosures are being built, and will be covered by large tents, right near the northern end of the bridge over the Rio Grande at Donna, Texas. These wonderful accommodations will be ready for occupancy by the first of next month, and provide temporary quarters for those to be "shipped elsewhere".

Actually, RV, since you are that close to the Border, don't you think it would be more humanitarian if you took some of those people into your home, surely where ever they slept and whatever they ate with you would be better than what you describe. Or, are you all hat and no cattle? Don't be bashful !

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The vast majority of the migrants are trying to do it the 'legal way', by requesting asylum.  Unfortunately, the system is overwhelmed, and it appears that many are then being 'criminalized', in some way.  I don't have a solution, other than to beef up our capacity to handle legal requests by providing sufficient judges & facilities.  I also understand what 'we' may be doing behind the scenes, in 'other countries', to make the problem worse for political reasons.  It is UGLY!  I suspect that we will regret what is being done now, in the not-to-distant-future. Anthropologists will record that we became exactly what we professed to despise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

The vast majority of the migrants are trying to do it the 'legal way', by requesting asylum.  Unfortunately, the system is overwhelmed, and it appears that many are then being 'criminalized', in some way.  I don't have a solution, other than to beef up our capacity to handle legal requests by providing sufficient judges & facilities.  I also understand what 'we' may be doing behind the scenes, in 'other countries', to make the problem worse for political reasons.  It is UGLY!  I suspect that we will regret what is being done now, in the not-to-distant-future. Anthropologists will record that we became exactly what we professed to despise.

Yep, all hat ! :(

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

In any case you might want to notice your very first response was to go personal in response to facts you don't like.  That's a pretty good indicator you know you are wrong.

Couple of thoughts as long as my thread has been royally hijacked....  Yes, I made a Personal comment. I certainly should have known better. But you err when you say it was "in response to facts I don't like.... and know I am wrong".....about what!?!  There is only one sentence after my 'going personal' and it rebutted nothing the Texas Horn Man had said about the border agents being reassigned. Also I didn't notice, in your 300-odd word opinion piece, any mention of the Horn Man's attack on me and others.  Missed those I am guessing.

Anyway, for those of you who care I am truly sorry that I screwed up by reacting to his Post in a personal way. I'll try and be better in the future especially if it will hold down the ensuing off-topic rants. 

6 hours ago, RickS said:

Anyway, for those of you who care I am truly sorry that I screwed up by reacting to his Post in a personal way. I'll try and be better in the future especially if it will hold down the ensuing off-topic rants. 

Accepted, and I , for one, believe that often off-topic rants are a result of personal attack and people taking sides. Also, thanks for the good info you usually provide, both here and on the Mexico Expats Forum. :D

It would be a nice change on here if you lefties and righties would back off and discuss the subject instead of ranting from your political corners. I don't see any conversions happening.

I've read the various views on how these caravans got started, who is supposedly encouraging people to join them, etc., and I'm so far seeing a real shortage of solid facts.  Anyone have some to share?  I can imagine motivation from either side of the U.S. political spectrum.  Twisted, but possible.

Of course no politics until it suits one person who will give a final comment and then close the thread. So for those ranting, please educate yourselves. A lot of those travelling from Central American could be discouraged if their country was given aid and means to fight the corruption and violence. The cost would be likely no more than the cost to process and manage all the asylum seekers. 

https://medium.com/s/story/timeline-us-intervention-central-america-a9bea9ebc148

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/19/central-america-migrants-us-foreign-policy

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvnyzq/central-america-atrocities-caused-immigration-crisis

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trump-migrant-caravan-where-mexico-honduras-guatemala-central-america-a8597741.html

Asylee vs. Refugee

Though the terms are sometimes used interchangeable, asylum status is not the same as refugee status. The difference is procedural in nature. Refugee status is only available to persons applying from outside of the United States. Someone seeking refugee status must apply for it to a USCIS overseas office. An asylum seeker is one who is physically present in the United States or is at a port of entry.

https://www.rescue.org/article/it-legal-cross-us-border-seek-asylum

Is seeking asylum legal?

Yes, seeking asylum is legal. Asylum seekers must be in the U.S. or at a port of entry (an airport or an official land crossing) to apply for, or request the opportunity to apply for, asylum. "There’s no way to ask for a visa or any type of authorization in advance for the purpose of seeking asylum,” says the International Rescue Committee’s director of immigration, Olga Byrne. “You just have to show up."  

"While the administration is saying people should come here legally and follow a legal process, it's making it impossible to do so,” says Byrne. “So many individuals and families have been trying to follow a legal process, but instead they’ve been stranded in Tijuana or other northern Mexico towns because they have been denied access to any U.S. official.”

Yes those seeking asylum need to be discouraged from the long trek, the dangers in doing so and the endless process of asylum but there are ways to help their countries especially after the root cause of what they are fleeing was a result of foreign intervention. 

Happy Easter

Sonia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Thinking, thinking.......let's see: how can we leave politics out of discussions on here?  How about keeping our opinions to ourselves on this web board and/or finding one that has a section where  political discussions are allowed in a section for members?  I had to think HARD to come up with that.

Why would you troll me? Haven't a clue.

2 hours ago, Sonia said:

Of course no politics until it suits one person who will give a final comment and then close the thread. So for those ranting, please educate yourselves. A lot of those travelling from Central American could be discouraged if their country was given aid and means to fight the corruption and violence. The cost would be likely no more than the cost to process and manage all the asylum seekers. 

Happy Easter

Sonia

Looks like that husband got a hold of Sonia's computer again. Spits out his hatred every once in a while, and claims it is his wife. What a wonderful man, no?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, gringal said:

Thinking, thinking.......let's see: how can we leave politics out of discussions on here?  How about keeping our opinions to ourselves on this web board and/or finding one that has a section where  political discussions are allowed in a section for members?  I had to think HARD to come up with that.

Why would you troll me? Haven't a clue.

Things would be better here if some people took their own "preachin'" to heart, no? :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Indeed!  

Haven't a clue.  Yes, clueless, that's the term.  She has no idea.  If you even hint at it you're a troll.  Count on me to never ever turn the other cheek, airhead.  

Are you so self-absorbed that you don't recognize sarcasm?

9 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

You must be new to Internet forums, sarcasm doesn't work.  Only when it's live and with people whom you know.  Your problem, in psychology terms, is called projection.  Google it.  Read about yourself.

If you had taken the time to check it, you would know how long I've been on this forum and wouldn't be making such an ignorant statement.

You know as well as I do why you "troll" me.  A few pages ago I lost patience and told you what I thought of your attempt to establish superiority over the others on this forum.  It was the Suggeston Box thread.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, gringal said:

No argument there.

Do you have any evidence that it's Sonia's husband who made that post?

You don't have to be a "rocket scientist" to see the difference at times in Sonia's posts. Word usage, sentence structure, etc. Posted sources tell you a lot, too. 

BTW, maybe you should read that post of mine about "preachin'" again, just for laughs. :D

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

You don't have to be a "rocket scientist" to see the difference at times in Sonia's posts. Word usage, sentence structure, etc. Posted sources tell you a lot, too. 

BTW, maybe you should read that post of mine about "preachin'" again, just for laughs. :D

Once was enough.  You made your point.  🙃  The trouble is, people are feeling so strongly on the subject of the current regime and the immigrant issue that it would take putting duct tape around their fingers to shut them up completely, or a mod who means business about not talking politics or slinging personal insults.

I don't pay close enough attention to Sonia's posts to notice differences in sentence structure and word usage.  If she does allow her husband to post over her signature, she has a problem in the independent entity department, IMHO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gringal said:

Once was enough.  You made your point.  🙃 

14 minutes ago, gringal said:

Once was enough.  You made your point.  🙃  The trouble is, people are feeling so strongly on the subject of the current regime and the immigrant issue that it would take putting duct tape around their fingers to shut them up completely, or a mod who means business about not talking politics or slinging personal insults.

I don't pay close enough attention to Sonia's posts to notice differences in sentence structure and word usage.  If she does allow her husband to post over her signature, she has a problem in the independent entity department, IMHO.

or a mod who means business about not talking politics or slinging personal insults.

I'm sure MC could use a lot of help, wanna help him or maybe take his place? I usually find those who criticize people for the job they do are not willing to take over and run a different ship, they just like to complain. Happens a LOT in coaching gigs, both football and basketball. Often those who cry the loudest to replace what they have, get what they deserve, often coaches who are a lot worse than they had and it sometimes takes decades to undue the damage. That happens because the others who are satisfied just keep their mouths shut and let the abuse happen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

There you go again, constantly complaining, and trying to attract a mod to make sure your demands are met.  It doesn't matter if you have 20 years of membership.  You are a faceless, nameless log on no better than the majority of us.  Fix yourself!

You are entitled to your opinion and I, to mine.  You have taken it upon yourself more than anyone else on this board to flaunt the rules of the forum and offer political rants.  I am not trying to attract a mod's attention.  You can do that by yourself.

4 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

I'm sure MC could use a lot of help, wanna help him or maybe take his place? I usually find those who criticize people for the job they do are not willing to take over and run a different ship, they just like to complain. Happens a LOT in coaching gigs, both football and basketball. Often those who cry the loudest to replace what they have, get what they deserve, often coaches who are a lot worse than they had and it sometimes takes decades to undue the damage. That happens because the others who are satisfied just keep their mouths shut and let the abuse happen. 

No, I don't want to "help" MC or be a mod.  They know how much they are willing to tolerate.  As a poster, I am disappointed at what this is turning into and hoping for changes, or rather, returning to what it used to be before intense political posts were tolerated. However, my opinion carries no more weight than yours or anyone else's.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Often those who cry the loudest to replace what they have, get what they deserve, often coaches who are a lot worse than they had and it sometimes takes decades to undue the damage. That happens because the others who are satisfied just keep their mouths shut and let the abuse happen. 

Tea anyone?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RickS said:

Couple of thoughts as long as my thread has been royally hijacked....  Yes, I made a Personal comment. I certainly should have known better. But you err when you say it was "in response to facts I don't like.... and know I am wrong".....about what!?!  There is only one sentence after my 'going personal' and it rebutted nothing the Texas Horn Man had said about the border agents being reassigned. Also I didn't notice, in your 300-odd word opinion piece, any mention of the Horn Man's attack on me and others.  Missed those I am guessing.

I didn´t/don´t care and you did just fine...…...don´t be intimidated!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gringal said:

Thanks to Sonia for information on the topic.  Things are getting worse.  Found this in today's news:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/armed-volunteer-militia-group-detain-immigrants-at-the-us-border-190837924.html

Things will be "going my way" if there is a regime change. May it be soon.

How did Jonny insert an extra line into your post when he quoted you?????