Chapala.com Webboard

Border Crossing Laredo area

RickS

Yesterday (Sunday) saw two reports of slow crossings at both Bridge II and Colombia. Around 11:00pm Bridge II was still around 45 minutes. Colombia which had been 3 hours, closes at midnight. 

This morning (Monday) at 10:15 am,  first hand report from Colombia was saying 3 hours. It looks like the problem there is truck traffic.... there is only one lane coming into the compound and cars must stay in line with trucks before they can get to the car-only lane(s). One person said that they 'jumped the curb' into the southbound lane and drove up to where they could "jump back" and get into the car lane which was much faster. BUT, it having to turn into the TIP-return line, that is a retorno which puts one back into the long line.  

IMO, these (crossing north) is going to remain a problem for quite a while. I wonder if a lot of Mexican Nationals living NOB will forgo Semana Santa visits SOB. If it is 3 hours now, think of the added traffic that will occur after Easter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

Any more recent reports about wait times for crossing into Laredo? Gracias

At 1:00PM Thursday,  Laredo Bridge II was....  210 minutes w/only 3 of 15 lanes open.  Colombia was.... 160 minutes with 2 lanes open.

One can see this information, updated hourly at

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp?action=n&pn=2304

... and one can click on 'Back to List" and see all the other border crossings!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

At 1:00PM Thursday,  Laredo Bridge II was....  210 minutes w/only 3 of 15 lanes open.  Colombia was.... 160 minutes with 2 lanes open.

None of this should come as a surprise to anyone. The Congress would not provide more funds to hire Immigration judges to expedite asylum seekers, nor funds to hire more Border Patrol agents, remember (there was no crisis at the Border). So with the crisis that "does not exist", the government has been forced to take personnel from many crossing ports to handle the tremendous influx of "imaginary" seekers, thus leaving the points of entry extremely short-handed. They could not take agents from the field, so there was no other place to take them. Do not expect more that 2-3 lanes open when there are 15 available because the man-power does not exist to open them. Expect long wait times to travel NOB. BTW, I think the Mexicans who go North every day for school, work, shopping, etc. will be as unhappy as we will. It is what the people in Congress wanted, so if you are unhappy, you now know the rest of the story.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, HookEmHorns said:

None of this should come as a surprise to anyone. The Congress would not provide more funds to hire Immigration judges to expedite asylum seekers, nor funds to hire more Border Patrol agents, remember (there was no crisis at the Border). So with the crisis that "does not exist", the government has been forced to take personnel from many crossing ports to handle the tremendous influx of "imaginary" seekers, thus leaving the points of entry extremely short-handed. They could not take agents from the field, so there was no other place to take them. Do not expect more that 2-3 lanes open when there are 15 available because the man-power does not exist to open them. Expect long wait times to travel NOB. BTW, I think the Mexicans who go North every day for school, work, shopping, etc. will be as unhappy as we will. It is what the people in Congress wanted, so if you are unhappy, you now know the rest of the story.

No matter what subject comes up you can always count on some to bring up their warped sense of politics. Are you on some political party payroll. Do you feel compelled to espouse your point of view?  We are not supposed to be talking of politics here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Spoken like a true Texas Republican.  I don't think that folks are 'surprised' but rather trying to be alert to their circumstances should they need to cross the border into the US any time soon. 

Actually, I am an Independent, ever since I left the Democratic Party  after LBJ. I guess not only Republicans vote against Democrats, so do many of us. BTW, did I state something that was not the way it is? Seems that you would be more concerned that I stated something incorrect than attacking my political background, no? Can't get rid of that "trump derangement syndrome", can you? Just think about how stupid the party I left is: they lost an election they "rigged" and they lost an investigation they "rigged" !  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

No matter what subject comes up you can always count on some to bring up their warped sense of politics. Are you on some political party payroll. Do you feel compelled to espouse your point of view?  We are not supposed to be talking of politics here.

Kiss my grits ! :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Spoken like a true Texas Republican.  I don't think that folks are 'surprised' but rather trying to be alert to their circumstances should they need to cross the border into the US any time soon. 

I stand by my assessment of your comments. This thread was solely about current NOB border crossing timing for people who are facing that task. I posted valuable web links, I think, that should help them. You immediately brought in the political aspect to the thread telling us that we should not be surprised and making sure we know who you think caused all of this.  Planting smiley faces into the comments don't make them less cutting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, RickS said:

Thank you. We are planning to drive up on Sunday, the 28th, and I fear the line-ups will be even worse because it's the end of the holidays. :( 

1 hour ago, RickS said:

I stand by my assessment of your comments. This thread was solely about current NOB border crossing timing for people who are facing that task. I posted valuable web links, I think, that should help them. You immediately brought in the political aspect to the thread telling us that we should not be surprised and making sure we know who you think caused all of this.  Planting smiley faces into the comments don't make them less cutting.

I really don't care where you stand, but from here it smells like you maybe should check your shoes.  You are the one who brought the personal attack against me and my  incorrectly supposed "political" preferences, not me against you, bubba.  I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are, and it does not have to agree with yours. That bully dog won't hunt here with me, so your bitchin over nothing gets you nothing. But, keep it up, if that gets you off.  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Trump is like the husband who blames the wife when there’s no food on the table but the money he has (and his credit cards) he spends on his vices.

Republicans have always been “fiscally responsible”, waste millions on sending troops to the border (who haven’t accomplished anything), corporate tax breaks and then commandeer Democrats into spending on what Trump wants.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, slainte39 said:

A lot of people don´t care where you stand either, so I guess the question is…...who cares the less?

You post your opinion as if it is fact, but if i want facts, i would be inclined to go elsewhere

No one is twisting your arm, bubba. Go !!! Make your own facts, no one really cares. 

:D

• Haha 1

Ler's talk about construction, instead:  A bunch of shiny new chain link enclosures are being built, and will be covered by large tents, right near the northern end of the bridge over the Rio Grande at Donna, Texas. These wonderful accommodations will be ready for occupancy by the first of next month, and provide temporary quarters for those to be "shipped elsewhere".

I live near RvGringo and I see the crisis unfolding but it riles me that Trump uses situations to wrap around opponents necks in order to get what he wants. Forget bipartisan cooperation, he is always on the prowl to exercise his power.  The nation’s well being is not his priority.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, slainte39 said:

Those "in charge" are all pretty good people and most of them have "gone fishin´", right now.

Yes, you should see some of the great pictures of the large fish they are catching in Lake Chapala.  I guess the fishing season is off to a great start.

Hookem accurately described why the border is jammed up.  Sorry it doesn't agree with the narrative from those who are responsible for this situation and that includes the people who are forming and funding these caravans and causing a big problem for both our countries.    I have a suspicion that some here are more than a little supportive of this attack using lied to and manipulated people.  In any case you might want to notice your very first response was to go personal in response to facts you don't like.  That's a pretty good indicator you know you are wrong.

Trying to stop the invasion plus keep thing moving the Border Patrol has stripped the inland checkpoints and sent those people to the border.  In March over 100,000 illegal crossers were apprehended alone.  Frankly in the face of this and recognizing you don't train any police overnight I'm amazed the jam up for legal crossers isn't a whole lot worse.  

I recognize Mexico really doesn't have the capability to stop this.  Let's face it the country can't provide internal security in much of its territory without this extra burden of these groups of mostly young males from a lot more places such as Cuba and Haiti, no just Central America.  These groups have violently forced their way into this country and are trying to force their way into the US.  That is fact not politics.  It's also a fact Mexican public opinion wants this stopped.

Here's my opinion:. Whether it be Mexico or the US and no matter what the party label it is the responsibility of the government to put the interests of the citizens first and require would be immigrants to obey the law.  The fact is the US has taken far more immigrants than any other nation on earth.  I agree with those who believe this has gone too far and the army should be moved to the border in whatever strength necessary to put a stop to this.  At this point I believe the people who seek to benefit politically from this invasion are rather obvious and I say shame on anyone who supports them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2