Chapala.com Webboard

TelCel use in Europe

Oatsie

2 hours ago, Oatsie said:

Has anyone used their TelCel SIM card in Europe ?

We had to pay $120.00 pesos each at the TelCel office to use TelCel in Spain/EU for 21 days. It was crappy so the second day there we bought 2 SIMs cards [ each SIMs cost $10 Euros ] from a cell phone shop downtown for $20 Euros each good for the 5 weeks [ was pay as you go 30 days but they added 7 more days because we didn't buy a recharge for $10.00 Euros each after 30 days]  we were there with 400 minutes long distance outside the EU and free unlimited inside the EU and 3 gig of data from Orange Movil. The number will expire in 1 year if you don't recharge it. It had excellent coverage everywhere we went. Our TelCel Samsung Galaxy phones had to be unlocked and the guy did it right there for $12 Euros and readjusted apps we had before with the new numbers  - Whatsup etc. when we returned in an hour.

https://www.moviles.com/orange 

On 4/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, Oatsie said:

Has anyone used their TelCel SIM card in Europe ?

We were in Basil, Switzerland last September and used our Telcel card and it worked just fine. It automatically switched from Telcel to T Mobil. Then as we moved up the Rhine and Mosel rivers it automatically switched to Orange and we used it as far as Amsterdam. We have UNLOCKED smart phones with no Telcel plan. We just load about 500 pesos on each phone prior to leaving.

1 hour ago, Oatsie said:

Was there an extra "roaming" charge for calling back to the USA or Canada and did it include data on your phone, for email messages etc. ? ? ? 

can't help you with calls back to the U.S. as we never did that. Regarding email, we used local wifi so it did not use our 4g data. I recommend you go to Telcel and discuss these questions as they might depend on whether you are on a plan or not. As I mentioned, we just load pesos as we need them and heavily load up before we leave the U.S.

• 2 years later...

Wifi works everywhere there is a signal. Telcel won't work for calls in Europe. Telcel will work in parts of South America because Mr Slim owns a few cell companies there.

If you do by chance get a connection to a European cell service you should probably avoid using it for Internet unless absolutely necessary. I took a big roaming hit in Singapore a few years back.

We bought an Orange Movil chip in Madrid for $20.00 Euros. We got a local number, 30 days of unlimit calls in the EU and 7 gigs of data. A recharge in 30 days costs $10.00 Euros. Believe me you will want both phones on when your wife/husband wanders off someplace and you need to call her/him and ask:  "Where the hell are you?"

Does anyone know how to activate a Telcel prepaind card in the USA? I was on a month to month package in Mexico which expired before I tried to activate the unused card. Now the instructions on the back of the card do not seem to work as my messages are not getting through to Telcel apparently.

Used Movistar years back and it worked as it is part of a Spanish telecom company