Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex fibre

Today I got my first look and hands-on with a new TelMex fibre installation. It seems that Birds of Paradise is lucky enough to have a manager who wangled a deal for the whole place. I took a quick look inside at the firmware pages, but didn't have the time to check everything out.

All owners are paying an installation fee included in their condo fees. Their monthly rates, however, stay the same as their DSL service. This particular client moved from 5 Mbps down to 22 Mbps down. I was not able to find the firmware page that described what caps or maximums the modem has set up by TelMex, but the customer was more than happy to be paying $389/month.

Competition is a good thing.

TelMex-Fiber-Modem-photos-small.jpg

• Like 1

No, not at all. It's just that's all the info I have. Trust me, I was surprised to get a call yesterday. I made sure to get there right away so I could check for myself. Now I need to find out (and so help me, getting info from TelMex is harder than teeth from a chicken) what their plans are. The technician left a printout of the standard modem price plans; nothing at all about fibre, or what the maximum might be... nothing. Crazier, these modems have phone jacks on the back... but are they set up to work with phones? No idea yet.

I dropped by the Telmex office in Ajijica few days ago and asked them what their plans were. They said they would be offering higher speeds as well, but that I would have to wait until May to learn what their plans are.. I love the idea of competition. Things will only get better and speeds will go up. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, johanson said:

I love the idea of competition. Things will only get better and speeds will go up

Competition is a double bladed sword. If there is not enough business for all of companies, product and support suffer.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, RickS said:

.... or maybe even a  "double edged" sword.....

That too. Too much TeKillA at a birthday party that started at 2:00 Just had cake. The fireworks are going off now. Just a small gathering.

IMG_20190413_162549.thumb.jpg.198c7b4a0785e93fac079cc9c3f4a570.jpg

Time to dance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tiny said:

Competition is a double bladed sword. If there is not enough business for all of companies, product and support suffer.

Right now I get 3 mbps from Telmex. On a good day. The concept of their product or support suffering is wildly theoretical at this point.

• Like 1

I notice the new Telmex modem also offers a 5G port. No 5G services at this time in Mexico (?) but if you use this port instead of 2.4 it is less crowded and faster.

5G will be introduced in Mexico in 2020, the first Latin American country to receive coverage

https://www.xataka.com.mx/telecomunicaciones/primera-red-5g-mexico-seria-telcel-2020-gsma

12 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I notice the new Telmex modem also offers a 5G port. No 5G services at this time in Mexico (?) but if you use this port instead of 2.4 it is less crowded and faster.

5G will be introduced in Mexico in 2020, the first Latin American country to receive coverage

https://www.xataka.com.mx/telecomunicaciones/primera-red-5g-mexico-seria-telcel-2020-gsma

5G mobile has nothing to do with the 5G (5ghz) on this modem. Just coincidence it has the same name.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

5G on the modem refers to the second ban for WiFi, 5 GHz. 5G cell service is called Fifth Generation. Two different items with one being technical and the other being marketing.

NOTE that dual-band modems employ 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency wavelengths. The 5 band is not necessarily less crowded, nor is the 2.4 necessarily crowded. It depends who else is using the bandwidth in an area close enough to your device to crowd into your space. You can test with simple apps on your cell phone, like WiFi Analyzer.

Note also that while the 5 band provides more bandwidth, it also cannot travel as far as 2.4. Thus, one would use the 5Ghz band when streaming videos short distances, and the 2.4 for everyday stuff. Also, if you do have a dual-band modem, you should test the speed from both while varying the distance from the modem, so you are more aware of which does what best.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Note also that while the 5 band provides more bandwidth, it also cannot travel as far as 2.4. Thus, one would use the 5Ghz band when streaming videos short distances, and the 2.4 for everyday stuff.................

It also cannot penetrate walls and other solid structures as will as 2.4....