Chapala.com Webboard

Sad Medical Stories

It seems like every week, for at least fifty years in Mexico that I can remember, gringos are accosted by some seeking cash for their babies medicine, disposable diapers, their mother's dialysis, etc, etc. The breakthrough is the first time you discovered you have been scammed. Then it is a choice, do you contribute even though every sense tells you this is not legitimate or do just say no. Audacity should not be rewarded though, like the young man who showed me the name of a medicine scribbled onto a San Xavier Hospital notepad (not a prescription). So I told him the first thing he should do is get his Mother out of one of the most expensive hospitals in Guadalajara.

• Like 1

When I heard comments like that I think back to what my wife had told me when she was in her 20's and working here in Guadalajara.  One day, she had to ask people on the street for bus fare.  She was so embarrassed. Sometimes, you never know.

• Like 4

There are alternatives to your immense knowledge of these women's lives--I would buy bananas, tangerines or any other fruit I could peel and give to the children. Imagine not having the education or confidence that would not permit you, a poor woman in any country, to refuse being impregnated by some :(). Try to think beyond the length of your nose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some years ago, an article was published in the local SMA paper as a result of interviewing the usual beggars that clustered around the main plaza.  The results were disheartening:  Many of the children with the women were "borrowed": most of the money collected ended up in the hands of the men in the family, who didn't spend it on the good of the family.  I wonder if a similar situation exists here?  One morning, I saw a truckload of young children being unloaded who later turned up begging or selling vegetable packs at the plaza.  They should have been in school, of course.  I prefer to make charitable contributions in cash or kind to the organizations who know how to direct it properly.  For instance, Ninos Incapacitos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Renting babies is true.

It is also true that trucks and vans bring groups of kids into Ajijic to "sell vegetables" and beg.  This is why kids of elementary school age are doing so in the Jardin restaurant on the Plaza during school hours. I've seen the drop off.  Whether this is happening because of dire necessity in the family or other reasons is the question.

In San Miguel, they came up with a great solution. "DIF" tickets were sold at various restaurants... I think one ticket cost 15 pesos. We knew the head of DIF, Rosario, (not the wife of the mayor who holds the "figurehead position") and she said that the "tickets' had to be turned into DIF and they would receive basics like beans, tortillas, milk powder etc.. She also said that anyone who would not accept a ticket was only looking for money for other purposes. People who really needed help got it.

• Like 4

"School hours" can be misleading.  Most elementary schools have two sessions per day; morning and afternoon. Kids go to one session; not both. So there are always kids (half of the student population) out and about at any time of the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

"School hours" can be misleading.  Most elementary schools have two sessions per day; morning and afternoon. Kids go to one session; not both. So there are always kids (half of the student population) out and about at any time of the day.

Not these kids; the ones being trucked on in and hawking veggie bags. 

Too bad the San Miguel solution Ferret mentioned isn't everywhere.

47 minutes ago, Ferret said:

In San Miguel, they came up with a great solution. "DIF" tickets were sold at various restaurants... I think one ticket cost 15 pesos. We knew the head of DIF, Rosario, (not the wife of the mayor who holds the "figurehead position") and she said that the "tickets' had to be turned into DIF and they would receive basics like beans, tortillas, milk powder etc.. She also said that anyone who would not accept a ticket was only looking for money for other purposes. People who really needed help got it.

What a terrific idea. Seems like a great initiative for the new Mayor's wife.

What does Harry B. think about the logistics?

SunFan

On 4/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, Guiness said:

And the same goes for right here in our own backyard.  The woman who sits outside Superlake with her kids.  She is a known drug addict - don't give her money - it doesn't go to the kids........

Sometimes I buy food for the people begging. I don't give money.