Chapala.com Webboard

Shrimp and Easter

ComputerGuy

For those among us who haven't been her long, a note: as Easter approaches, and the Mexican religious community is not allowed to eat certain meats, they gravitate towards fish and shrimp. And the price of it goes up every year at exactly the same time, ironically...

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

For those among us who haven't been her long, a note: as Easter approaches, and the Mexican religious community is not allowed to eat certain meats, they gravitate towards fish and shrimp. And the price of it goes up every year at exactly the same time, ironically...

It has been going on now for over a month with meatless Friday.  It is not just the Mexican religious community.

I have not see any increase in price of shrimp.

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/lent/questions-and-answers-about-lent.cfm

Excellent time for shrimp and grits. I just have to leave out the bacon.

My family observed Lent back in the US (and it isn't certain meats, it's all meats).  When I was really young we observed meatless Fridays year-round.  

Price of cleaned shrimp during Lent at the seafood place next to SL was same as pre-Lent.  

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

My family observed Lent back in the US (and it isn't certain meats, it's all meats).  When I was really young we observed meatless Fridays year-round.  

Price of cleaned shrimp during Lent at the seafood place next to SL was same as pre-Lent.  

I read somewhere that alligator was ok for meatless Friday.  It said that it was not considered a land based animal. 

Just now, Tiny said:

I read somewhere that alligator was ok for meatless Friday.  It said that it was not considered a land based animal. 

Funny you should mention that.  One Christmas Eve, also meatless for us, for the meal of the 7 fishes, I convinced my mother (she was in her late 80s) that alligator was seafood and she let me put it on the table (we were in Florida).  I had thought I had conned her.  Guess not!?!?

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Funny you should mention that.  One Christmas Eve, also meatless for us, for the meal of the 7 fishes, I convinced my mother (she was in her late 80s) that alligator was seafood and she let me put it on the table (we were in Florida).  I had thought I had conned her.  Guess not!?!?

And the times I had it, it was very good.  It was also in Florida.

I'm never quite sure when it will happen, but I rely on the local butchers to tell me when I can't get pork chops, and that hasn't happened yet. And I guarantee you the price of shrimp will go up soon. It has every year for the last 20 lakeside. In any case, my warning is right on, right?

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm never quite sure when it will happen, but I rely on the local butchers to tell me when I can't get pork chops, and that hasn't happened yet. And I guarantee you the price of shrimp will go up soon. It has every year for the last 20 lakeside. In any case, my warning is right on, right?

Lent began on Ash Wednesday, March 6th and ends next Friday.  No increase in shrimp prices where I buy and have bought before and during Lent.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

It can be tough, so we prefer it ground, makes good cocktail appetizers, i.e., alligator"meat" balls in bbq sauce. They are classified as reptiles (my argument to my mother), not mammals.  

I didn't know alligators had balls?

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Bought shrimp at Walmart Wed. and it was the same price as a month ago.  Maybe there wasn´t as much demand this year or the supply is more plentiful.

One restaurant owner, Panino, said her supplier of shrimp hadn´t raised the price lately either.

Maybe the information about the price of shrimp increasing was misinformation, fake news.