Chapala.com Webboard

getting work permission for self employed/starting business

oaxguero

Hello, my first post here on chapala.com.... I am a temporary resident with my own proper source of income (not retired) from the US. My temp residency is set up as "non-lucrative" (can't earn an income in Mexico) and I want to start a business here. I have looked into getting work permission at the INM office, but they just walked me through the standard procedure of getting an employer to give a letter of hire and couldn't answer (or didn't want to) my questions about starting a business. What I understand is that I should apply for this work permission in the same way but as a "sole proprietor" (don't recall what it's called here). However, there are no instructions on how to do this on the forms INM gave me. I am SURE someone has done this... Can I get some guidance? My residency is "ordinario" so there is nothing complicated about it, only it's "sin actividad economica." 

Oh, and I don't actually live in Chapala/Guadalajara, I live in Oaxaca City, but this is the best forum around for answers to living and working in Mexico... so thanks in advance!

Perhaps a Mexican consulate (USA) website would provide some guidance, as SRE is probably the agency governing such details. Once you have the details, you could be better prepared to fill out the application.  Alternatively, assuming that you have the resources, you might find it easier to exit Mexico and apply for Residente Permanente, which allows you to work, with simple notification to INM.

Start by registering with SAT. To do so I recommend retaining an accountant as there are so many classifications and you will also need to be shown how to report income even if it is "0", etc. Then apply at INM for your permiso para trabajar visa. The INM process is similar to a visa renewal. You will need to provide INM with your proof of SAT enrolment including cedula. http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Here is a 2017 article about starting a business here that relied on Spencer McMullen's advice.  OP....Spencer is an attorney located in Chapala and highly regarded here.  

https://www.expatsinmexico.com/how-to-start-your-own-business-in-mexico/

Thanks. I wonder if the procedure is the same now, two years later...

• 2 weeks later...