Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Directions - Laredo to Lakeside

Oatsie

I have tried searching but too many results.....

Someone on here regularly posts that they have written instructions  for driving from Laredo to Lakeside.

Please post or PM me with a copy that you can email me.

Gracias....

1 hour ago, Oatsie said:

I have tried searching but too many results.....

Someone on here regularly posts that they have written instructions  for driving from Laredo to Lakeside.

Please post or PM me with a copy that you can email me.

Gracias....

I do share a turn by turn log with those who want it. Just PM me with your email address and I will mail you.

8 hours ago, Jreboll said:

I’m tired of taking the Lagos de Moreno bypass. Where do I find the alternative route?

Going north just continue on 80 (don't take the bad bypass to the left). That street will merge to the right (says Leon/San Luis Potosi I think) with another street that you will drive (2-lane) through town and a couple of lights for a mile or so... easy. That street will become a boulevard going north for a while and then you will go through the round-about heading north to San Luis Potosi.  It is a very easy route through town. No surprises. 

Coming south, and on the north edge of town, don't take the "Guadalajara" exit that goes onto that bad bypass but rather continue straight into Lagos... 3-4 lanes at that point. When into town follow the signs now to Guadalajara on a 2-lane street for a mile or so. No signs that I remember later but just follow that street. The street will become a boulevard for another mile or two and you will continue on out of town south on it, which is 80 to Guadalajara. You'll pass the bad bypass road on the right at the south edge of town and you can give the 'three finger salute'.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RickS said:

...  It is a very easy route through town. No surprises. 

I have done that route twice going North and each time I came up behind a city bus on the two lane road downtown.  Sunday seems to be  the worse day to cross downtown. So it can be a throw of the dice.  If you take that route, I would suggest you become familiar with the road grid downtown so you can route yourself around a bus to keep moving.  I do think you can save a few minutes if you can avoid the buses. YMMV

Yes, I think it is probably a crap shoot as to what it might be like at any given moment of any given day. I've had great success the last 3 trips through... once literally not stopping the whole trip through town.  At some level the purpose is to not subject one and one's vehicle to the terrible physical condition of the bypass road.  YMMV

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, RickS said:

Does your turn-by-turn log use the 'new' western bypass of San Luis Potosi?  Does it send one straight through Lagos de Moreno rather than the hideous bypass of that burg?

I still go the crap road around Lagos and use the western bypass at SLP. I'll try your way next time. Thanks

28 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Last year there was a lot of construction and traffic in Aguascalientes.  Still the same?

Specifically where? 

They have been working on the 'outer loop' Av Siglo XXI.... which really isn't a true bypass as it has tons of traffic and lights, but.... for several years. The more inner loops are just as fast normally but will have plenty of traffic and stops.

I too prefer going that way from Lakeside to the Saltillo area but navigating Aquas is still a 'problem' for some folks especially the first time. And make sure one has enough gas for the 150-200 miles stretch between Zacatecas and Saltillo on highway 54. 

41 minutes ago, wanderer said:

there are 7 pemex stations between zacatecas and saltillo.

Well I must have missed some... several times. To my knowledge  between Morelos on the north outskirts of Zacatecas there are no stations for 150 miles until Concepcion del Oro. Next up, around about more 60 miles, would be the Pemex at the intersection of 54 and 57 libre.  If one continues on from there on the cuota NW of Saltillo, the next Pemex would be around Ramos Aripze and one would have to leave the cuota there to get gas. 

Could you point out the one(s) that I seem to be missing?

from the one at the intersection at morelos,there is one in villa de cos, one the left, there is one 12 miles up the road at santa cecilia, on the right.  then 2 operational, on the left before your get to concepcion del oro, and one of those has a motel behind the wall,.  there is one on the right entering concepcion del oro on the right and another just up the road one on the left before the big curve going out of town.  then when you get to the intersection where all the car plants are there is one just past the over pass on the right, kinda hard to get to but you can do it. also if you went west from the intersection toward general cepeda there is one a mile down on the left and 4 miles further on past the freightliner plant is a Hotel ONE on the left, very comfortable. 

i have used the western bypass around saltillo and didnt like it either time so i go thru town, saltillo, on the freeway, no topes, no lights. pay attention to the signs for monterrey-airport

also a few miles north of morelos there is a little town and and overpass on the highway. there is a pemex to the east about one mile, came in real handy about 3 years ago when a lot of stations were out of fuel.

a comment about aguascalientes, i came thru there southbound 14 days ago, not much construction but a detour on the middle ring road-around the west side. i take the inner ring road  to the west going north and the middle ring road to the west coming south, lights timed to 60 kilometers per hour. works well for me.

7 hours ago, Kiko said:

Does anyone have current info on the road construction that has been causing 3 hr delays on 57 near entronque Roberto North of Matehuala?

I just read a Post on another Board that said smooth sailing today on 57 & 40 all the way going north to Laredo.  The crossing, however, is another issue.... 2+ hours at Colombia and "3 hours already with 100 yards to go"  at Laredo II mid afternoon. 

There is a website showing border crossing times at.   https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp?action=n&pn=2304

It just now was showing 45 minutes at Bridge II at 9:00PM and 110 minutes at Colombia, same time. Colombia has been showing terrible times this week, probably because the orange one has moved staff from there 'farther west'. One day I saw it was only open to Commercial.... imagine driving all the way out there to find THAT out. 

Any advice on when to try a crossing and for which bridge? We'd planned to cross as early as possible on July 1st and see if we could make the run from the border in one day. It was unlikely, even without a two or three hour delay to start the morning.

The problem(s) are NOT coming south INTO Mexico but rather trying to get OUT of Mexico due to US Customs slowdown. There is no 'interface' with the US folks coming into Mexico. No one can predict what might be happening on July 1st.... maybe Mexico will have closed THEIR borders.

Coming in, IMO, either bridge.... downtown Bridge II or the Colombia Solidarity out west of Laredo a bit..... COMING IN is fine. Timing will depend somewhat on whether you already have Temporary or Permanente visas, or need to get a Tourist Card. If the latter and/or you need a vehicle permit (TIP) then the smart money is usually on coming in at Colombia. Traditionally it takes only a few minutes there if one already has a visa and if needing a Tourist Card and TIP the lines are always shorter there.

Check back closer to July 1st and see if anyone has some more current info for you.

With respect to making it in one day.... if you are a seasoned driver on that route you 'can' do it in about 12 hours.... it's 635 miles mas o mano.  The daylight hours will be long July 1. Otherwise, most folks stop somewhere along the way, making it two easy days of driving. If you haven't driven the route before, I would highly recommend taking 2 days!

• Like 1