Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Update

5 minutes ago, RickS said:

I would add a caveat to 'calling iLox' for anything definitive that one can hang a hat on.....  from several first hand accounts of pre-paids, calls and even visits to the office would be given 'you will be installed tomorrow, or next Tuesday' or something similar when in fact this just did not happen. More than once.  What the office thinks/says and what the installers do has often not been congruent. 

The only way to get real answers is to email them. We know that the office staff are only there for signups. If they have any proper answers, it's only accidental. I'm sure they've been told, as is the Mexican way, just smile and say something appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 75mbps service and generally have been pleased.  
I find that Netflix will buffer occasionally and this didn’t seem to happen really at all with Telmex when I was reaching 9mbps per second.  

Also, the Netflix artwork for movies and TV is slow to load. When I was living in Canada I had 25mbps and the artwork would load quickly. 

I have IPTV and it buffers regularly. When it does, I’ve done speed tests with fast.com and it’s anywhere between 35-70 mbps. This has me baffled and frustrated. 

I have a mesh router system so my Wifi signal strength tests show minimum 92%

ideas anyone???

thanks

Edited by KDX

1 hour ago, KDX said:

I have IPTV and it buffers regularly. When it does, I’ve done speed tests with fast.com and it’s anywhere between 35-70 mbps. This has me baffled and frustrated. 

I have a mesh router system so my Wifi signal strength tests show minimum 92%

ideas anyone???

The same thing happened to me before I complained, assumedly too vociferously, and I was then unilaterally disconnected and cancelled. So don't complain, at least too vociferously, being as baffled and as frustrated as I was.

I have been following this issue fairly closely since then, and along with a much more technologically savvy person than i could ever be, who is having the same problem, which will cease when his year contract expires and he does not renew, we have lit on the possibility that somehow or another some of the connections have a stacatto effect occurring. Periodically, for a brief millisecond or two, the internet just stops. One of the rerasons i suspect this to be the case is that before Ilox disconnedted mwe, I would receive several e-mails ever day from Ubitalk, my Google-phone connection, saying that my connection had been interrupted. This happened up to twenty times a day even when I was not home and all normally connected devices were in the off mode.

Go figure!

KDX...What kind of "mesh router system" do you have?  A mesh network can extend coverage but at the cost of througput .  Your IPTV could be buffering due to the throughput of the mesh, or maybe because of a VPN connection, or a provider beyond Ilox.  You should plug your TV hardwire directly into the Ilox modem and see if it still bufffers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tom. 
I have an Asus RT87-U and two Netgear X6S mesh extenders. The router needs to be in the office. About 5 feet outside the office, the speed drops from 64mbps to 32 mbps (house is thick concrete walls).
I put one of the extenders in the living room and the same issue with the master bedroom 

I didn’t modify any settings on the ILox router, just used an Ethernet from LAN port to WAN on my router. Should I be doing something here when using an alternate router?

I have experimented moving these around With no satisfying results

any ideas are appreciated

thanks

That's an interesting question, and my initial answer would be no. Hooking up a router to a modem that way is just like adding ports to the modem. We turn off the modem WiFi, and that's about it. No "bridging" required. Been doing it this way for years.

While speaking to a tech about setting up a repeater/extender (not a router or bridge), he said that these devices cut the original max wifi speed of the modem in half. That seems consistent with the observation described by KDX.

I installed the extender about 15 feet from the ILOX modem fairly high on a fireplace mantle. The extender signal went far beyond what the Fiberhome modem could provide but the speeds did drop off 50% at a minimum, dropping a little more the further away one gets. 

Even with the drop, the remaining speed exceeded what Telmex could provide.

I do not believe what he said for a second. Even if it was me.

There would be no point, otherwise. But of course placement and original strength is everything. An extender, by definition, is going to be weaker simply because it's farther away from the source. That's why using ethernet cables is really the preferred choice, as John knows. Trouble is, that can be kind of messy.

When I needed to connect a computer in a casita, I had an ethernet cable made up, over 100 feet long.  I ran it out through a hole drilled in an office window frame, up to the roof, along the parapet and wall to the casita, and down through the roof to the new location.  It worked like a charm, with no loss of speed. Perfect service in both locations for 10 years. Casita guests loved it!

Yep this is frustrating but not surprising its a brand new system. I use a higher power (800mw) access point with SMA connections for external antenna and various antenna like corner loads like a Klipch corner horn and a 30 ft better quality cable and 12db gain antenna. Nice part about this system is you don't have to change numbers to switch to telmex as all you do is switch the input cable to the local Telmex modem from the ILOX modem. No numbers to type. Also I can move the long wire antenna to anywhere I need it. This system punches thru mexican walls.  Telmex WIFI is actually decent. ILOX WIFI is kinda weak and I turn it off. IZZY WIFI is kinda weak also.  I have not seen the WIZ new modems so I can't comment on it.  So where do you get this stuff?   I mail ordered it in US and brought it down with me.  Also Fry's in US is another good source. Maybe the technology center in downtown Guad might be a good source but I don't know.  Does anyone KNOW that you can buy this stuff in Guad??

31 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Yep this is frustrating but not surprising its a brand new system. 

I disagree. It is both frustrating and surprising!

Read your post and so many of the posts of others. You guys sound pretty good at this stuff. Most of the rest of us, including me, aren't.  We just want it to work like we paid for it to do.

There are lots of reasons you could he dropping out or buffering. In my 10 years at a wireless ISP in Florida, we found it is rarely due to your wifi equipment (assuming you have a decent signal). There are lots of bottlenecks along the route to the end server which can cause problems. Additionally, some companies have arrangements with services like Netflix to cohost servers on their network or have special routes. ISPs have also been know to break continuous connections on high usage customers (it's a well known industry secret that ISPs oversell the capacity as 100% of users are never online at the same time). We used this company's equipment to monitor speeds and find bottlenecks. They have a very good technical resource page for those interested in what internet speeds are all about here.

In this case, the modem is the problem. We're talking in house WiFi reception from the iLox ONU (what people are referring to as "the modem"), at whatever speed they are getting into the box. It has nothing to do with server issues.

Further, I have never seen any indication that... for example... TelMex does throttling of any kind. I can download at 40 Mbps to my heart's content every TV show and movie, amounting to terabytes of information all month long, year in and year out. No interruptions. I expect that sooner or later TelMex will change this approach, but for now, no. iLox is currently in startup mode, and is no position to risk an already tenuous relationship with its clients.

Torturing poor old WiFi is no fun - even whipping it with loose cables. Has anyone ever come across designs and diagrams for installing whole-house Ethernet/coax/fiber cable networks safely penetrating NEW Mexican-style thick-as-a-brick construction?  Other than just chiseling surface channels and then plastering it over?  A lot of new designs for the US feature (apparently non-proprietary, e.g. not Alexa) voice interfaces that can direct 'console control' to any room dynamically...Thanks.

Diagrams? No, but wiring a typical Mexican house with ethernet would not be difficult.  A flat roofed house is really simple; just drop into any room you wish, either through the roof to a corner location or a channel in the wall to any location you wish. Otherwise, from the roof down an outside wall and into a room at a convenient location.

You can buy ethernet cable, end fittings and tool, for a 'DIY' project, or have any elecrician run the cable for you.  Years ago, I bought such things from a shop that was in Bugambillias Plaza, but they are no longer there, so check with someone like Computer Guy for current local sources.

Yes, "penetration is dependent on frequency".  

I'm trying very, very casually to scare up plans for new brick construction, for an integrated whole-house system of deep-set conduit terminating in a master panel of some sort.  Hoping to avoid WiFi or other kluges. All preliminary to even starting architects/engineers' plans.  Certainly in India, there must be some version of such blueprints available. (It's remarkable how much construction worldwide is just like Mexico, reinforced concrete post-and-beam.)  

Thanks all.

(I'm also the :() who suggested a formal 'consumers' union' for Ilox users so as to promote accurate and useful communication with the company,  I think it was ComputerGuy who laughed at me, and I'm sure he was right. What can you do - donate CRM software?  But we each have to engineer our own satisfaction...)