Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Update

2 hours ago, dencol said:

For IPTV services with ilox you do need a public ip address, the problem is getting one, their is a shortage of public ip addressing  on IPv4 no fault of ilox. Until the switch to IPv6 is completed world wide your best bet is to email ilox NOC and request one and hope for the best?

Not completely correct. My IPTV service works fine thro a US VPN without an Ilox public IP address.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:33 PM, Tiny said:

When you do not need the encryption of a VPN, you might consider using a DNS server (ex. www.unblock-us.com) for IP address change. My testing showed higher speeds.  This was covered in previous posts.

I use a dns proxy "redirect" service with telmex now and it works great for accessing US HBO / Netflix / Prime / Hulu ... etc - you still have to have those subscriptions. I can't get it to work with ilox, however.  Is this because of how they handle IP addresses ?  Has anyone gotten a DNS proxy server to work with Ilox ?  Should I call / email and request a static IP address... or a public IP address?

Thanks in advance.

--Jak

PS. the service I use is smartdnsproxy.com - it's very cheap and faster than VPN (although they also include VPN if you want encryption).

Due to the shortage of public IP addresses, Ilox by default employs "Carrier Grade NAT" and assigns private 10.X.X.X private IP addresses, which heavily reuse the same IP address across many users.   If you connect to another point via a streaming service where your connection emerges on a dedicated (not fixed) public IP, it may work fine for streaming.  But if you try to stream directly from Mexico or use a DNS proxy, the NAT may or may not break the protocol.

Ilox will switch you over to a public dynamic IP at no charge, you just request it.  That should fix most issues.  At the point your Ilox service will technically be roughly equivalent to Telmex, without the speed.    Streaming and DNS Proxies can be part of dicey cat and mouse games that are not always guaranteed to work the way you want.  Ilox can only do so much.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NLU said:

I don't understand!

Do you mean that I can get a faster speed to not get what I want?

In a few cases yes.

Tom and ilox have been very helpful but in some installs i do still not successful even after ip change. In one instance i have a customer where we didnt change the ip and everything worked perfectly. Why , no one seems to know.

Another customer used a vpn, works on one server but not another . Would like feed back on the dns changer,  but really all this is beyond many people and they just want it to work like telmex, but with the faster speed. 

• Like 1

"all this is beyond many people and they just want it to work like telmex, but with the faster speed. "

I know that all of this is beyond me, though instead of 'telemex,' I would have said 'normal'

RE 'Tom and ilox have been very helpful"

In my case, Tom was probably as helpful as he could be, but Ilox was TOTALLY non-responsive

• Sad 1

Ilox tailors their Internet to 99% of the people that hook it up and it just works.  The come to Lakeside and a lot of people want to stream content, some of it pirate, others from sources that may not be paying the bandwidth on their side, etc.   Some want VPN connections for business services, some want to hide their IP.  They all want it to work plug and play and if it doesn't they want the ISP to be responsible.   Oh, and they don't want to pay much.    Good luck with that.   What I can tell you is we did get Ilox in here to put in FTTH fiber which was the last remaining bottleneck to anyone getting decent Internet.  From here on out, its all negotiable, including with Ilox.  I suggested they should consider offering some legit streaming packages, like USTVNOW.       There clearly is a nice opportunity for some consultants and VAR´s here to offer value added services.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice to be loved.  Thanks to all.   For all you VPN fans who are also techies, check out zerotier.com   Mind blowing completely free encrypted virtual network.   I've got 4 locations all on the same network, including the Chapala house and just added a VPS gateway in the US with it own dedicated IP for $5 mo.  I haven't tested that part yet but should stream US content just fine.   This may be a nice alternative to VPN's...

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, village resident said:

my ilox phone service sucks............. technicians do not show up for appointments................ back to telmex

ya gotta be kidding me

complaining about Ilox service?

be careful

they just might cancel you altogether

and without sufficnet notice

gotta love dese peopele

• Sad 1

Does anyone know the status of getting service in Racquet Club?

I have been in Europe and will be returning home in July and would like to contact Ilox for installation.

Should I wait until I get home or can I go ahead and contact them prior to my return and schedule something?

Thanks,

Tom DW

Ilox backlog with new signups is growing a lot, they are still trying to get all the prepaids at Raquet Club done and then will move on to Riberas, Chula Vista, and San Antonio.  They had some installers leave and that didn't help either.  Best thing you can do is sign up now and get in the queue, it'll be 2/3 months. .   Its going to be a long summer but once they get through the initial build out everything will normalize.  

• Like 1

"they are still trying to get all the prepaids at Raquet Club done and then will move on to Riberas, Chula Vista, and San Antonio."

So rather than continue to move West San Juan Cosala, El Limon, El Tempisque, Joco to install prepaids....they are doubling back to the above areas?

Second question:  Do new signups, who were not part of the prepaids, pay the upfront fee that was required of the prepaids to get the project moving forward?

If not I'm starting to think that my upfront fees are being used to create the infrastructure for the new signups....and that eventually Ilox will not have the funding to

honor their commitment to prepaids West of San Juan Cosala.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tugwestend said:

"So rather than continue to move West San Juan Cosala, El Limon, El Tempisque, Joco to install prepaids....they are doubling back to the above areas?

Tug, may I ask, as precisely as you care to specify, where are you located west of the RC, and what kind of measured internet performance you currently experience from which provider?

I ask because I have a lot about a mile due west of the center of the RC, and am looking at a house further west in El Limon, and decisions to buy or build could depend on long-term net coverage.  Thanks.

ps Just in case you missed it, some commentator on these threads noticed Ilox crews 'inspecting' El Limon maybe a month ago - why don't you ask Ilox about their plans in your specific area...

In El Limon, we have a house just completed last fall.   Have been unable to get phone/internet from Telmex, request was put in last August.   "Lack of available lines" is what I hear monthly when I go in to check on status.   I've heard varying reports of 1-5 megs download from people who live in El Limon.  We are signed up for Ilox.   In El Tempisque where we've lived for 8 years the Internet service has declined from a average of 1.75 download to now about .650.   The reason for the poor service is twofold.   Telmex has refused to put in a repeater every 800 meters from the last one in SJC.  We are over a KM from the last repeater.  Secondly the number of houses built in the last 8 years has almost doubled since we arrived in the area. For years we've had a 2 meg download limit on our internet.  Telmex techs confirm all of the above when called.   We are signed up for Ilox in El Tempisque as well.     As to contacting Ilox its far easier to ask Tom.

But Tom is not the answer man. He was the facilitator, and he has his own work and his own life. The way I see it, iLox is doing the best it can. Since none of us has any idea of the internal structuring required to service the work that lies ahead, I am perfectly happy to wait.

It is easy to contact iLox. My friend is in Rancho Alegre (west of El Limon and east of Las Fuentes) and got a reply from Jessica Avila at iLox. My firend is a prepaid (14 months still waiting) and was TOLD that they would be going west from San Juan Cosala BEFORE they did the prepaids in San Antonio and Riberas. I don't mind that because they have (as you have pointed out) dismal service from Telmex. I have good service from Telmex in Riberas when I have service from Telmex same as ComputerGuy. Still, I resent the prepaids not being done before all the others who have jumped on the bandwagon lately. THEY can flippin' well WAIT their turn like we have.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

It is easy to contact iLox. My friend is in Rancho Alegre (west of El Limon and east of Las Fuentes) and got a reply from Jessica Avila at iLox. My firend is a prepaid (14 months still waiting) and was TOLD that they would be going west from San Juan Cosala BEFORE they did the prepaids in San Antonio and Riberas..............

I would add a caveat to 'calling iLox' for anything definitive that one can hang a hat on.....  from several first hand accounts of pre-paids, calls and even visits to the office would be given 'you will be installed tomorrow, or next Tuesday' or something similar when in fact this just did not happen. More than once.  What the office thinks/says and what the installers do has often not been congruent.