Chapala.com Webboard

Getting a dog to British Columbia

I'm thinking I need to get to BC with a few of my things including my little dog. I can't take my Mexican plated vehicle to BC so we would have to fly. My little dog is a bit too heavy and a bit too tall to go under the seat in the cabin. The thought of her travelling in the cargo hold is distressing. Does anyone know of work a rounds?

Well if all else fails....  it sounds like that, except for the silly Canadian law against Mexican plated vehicles, you would have driven. So why not just do that... drive and then "store" your Mexican car at the border taking a rental car to your final destination in BC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Now who's going to let you put a dog under your seat, a Canadian airline? :lol:

I don't know but Aeromeico does and they fly direct to BC. It night be better to find someone who is driving to BC and has room and needs company. 

2 minutes ago, RickS said:

Well if all else fails....  it sounds like that, except for the silly Canadian law against Mexican plated vehicles, you would have driven. So why not just do that... drive and then "store" your Mexican car at the border taking a rental car to your final destination in BC. 

I've thought of that. Would I have any trouble driving a Mexican plated car into the US?

1 minute ago, cedros said:

I've thought of that. Would I have any trouble driving a Mexican plated car into the US?

Not at all... thousands do it daily. One can keep their Mexican plated vehicle in the US for up to 1 year.

6 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

I drove my bug there and kept on driving it for a year.  Never even got stopped once.

Did you drive your bug into Canada?

Bellingham? That's KVOS Channel 12. Oh I have flown with my animal to Vancouver and then took the train to the US with my under the seat Dachshund to a town just south of Bellingham. It was a hassle. But it all worked out for me 

Many people fly with small dogs under the seat in front of them... but you already know that Cedros.

Sounds like you could drive all the way up to Seattle Washington, park your car (Pete you have room for an extra car?) and take a ferry to?... I know the ferry goes from Seattle to Victoria but does it go to Vancouver or do you have to change ferries?

• Sad 1

Or, flying an animal in cargo is really not that bad. The hold is climate controlled and comfortable. Just be sure to check the temperatures (airlines won't fly animals in hot weather) at both ends of the flight and take a direct flight. Get a heavy-duty airline approved carrier, line the bottom with a couple of flat diapers, and get a clip on water container. Cut a small sponge to fit the water dish so the water doesn't splash all over the floor. NO food. Feed the dog several hours before the flight so it doesn't throw up on the flight.

Back in the day when I was showing purebred cats, I flew cats all over - one to England, one to Germany - with no problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the Canadian law about Mexican plated vehicles in Canada.  This is news to me and I would like to be informed.  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Arroyos said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the Canadian law about Mexican plated vehicles in Canada.  This is news to me and I would like to be informed.  Thanks.

As I understand it, a Canadian may not drive a foreign plated car into Canada; even if it is his own, and even if he is a resident of both Canada and the 'other country'. 

However, a Canadian may drive any legal vehicle in the USA, so the option to drive as far as the Canadian border offers a possible solution. Perhaps a friend or relative would meet the driver and pet, on the USA side. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

As I understand it, a Canadian may not drive a foreign plated car into Canada; even if it is his own, and even if he is a resident of both Canada and the 'other country'. 

However, a Canadian may drive any legal vehicle in the USA, so the option to drive as far as the Canadian border offers a possible solution. Perhaps a friend or relative would meet the driver and pet, on the USA side. 

Yes, a possibility.

4 hours ago, RickS said:

Not at all... thousands do it daily. One can keep their Mexican plated vehicle in the US for up to 1 year.

Do many of them get insurance for the US?

In the state of WA, because I also have a Seattle residence, I used to be allowed not to change my foreign plates for up to 30 days, should I be staying at my Seattle residence. The rules vary depending on your status and location, and may have changed in Seattle, It was more than ten years ago when I had a Jalisco plated car in WA state. And yes I had to have Insurance coverage for the US while my Mexican car was in the US,

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:40 AM, cedros said:

-I'm thinking I need to get to BC with a few of my things including my little dog. I can't take my Mexican plated vehicle to BC so we would have to fly. My little dog is a bit too heavy and a bit too tall to go under the seat in the cabin. The thought of her travelling in the cargo hold is distressing. Does anyone know of work a rounds?

Most airlines have a ban on flying pets in cargo until after May 24th due to heat restrictions. WestJet is your best carrier for pets into Canada however you would have to fly from PV direct to Vancouver after May 24th. Most airlines will not allow dogs on board over 21 pounds or 22 inches long unless they are a service dog. If you can get the dog a service certificate and a vest that says emotional support dog the airlines will allow it on board with some restrictions ie the animal needs to be very well trained and you must prebook this with the airline when you book your ticket.. If you need to fly now you can get yourself to the US San Antonio US airlines will fly the dogs from there however there is a connection in Houston then direct to Van. They have airconditioned cargo. Also be aware you must pre-book as most airlines will only take max 3 crates on a flight if in cargo .  I am sure you already know this but ensure al of your paper work for pup is stamped by a vet within 7 days of flying, shots etc or they will not accept pooch into the country.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Can a US citizen drive a Jalisco plated car into Canada?

On 4/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, Ferret said:

Many people fly with small dogs under the seat in front of them... but you already know that Cedros.

Sounds like you could drive all the way up to Seattle Washington, park your car (Pete you have room for an extra car?) and take a ferry to?... I know the ferry goes from Seattle to Victoria but does it go to Vancouver or do you have to change ferries?

There's no ferry from Seattle to Vancouver. And you can't "change ferries" from Victoria to Vancouver. The ferry from Seattle ends up in Victoria Harbor, downtown. The ferry from Victoria to Vancouver leaves from Sidney harbor, which is about a 30 minute drive from downtown Victoria. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, Ferret said:

When I am in Seattle, I live in a Condo, and sorry I do not have any room in the building for a second car.