Chapala.com Webboard

US auto insurance on Mexican plated vehicle

Has anyone had success purchasing collision and/or theft coverage on a Mexican plated vehicle while the vehicle is being operated in Texas (or anywhere else in the US)?   I've contacted a number of agents who offer liability coverage meeting Texas requirements, but nothing else.  My Qualitas policy already includes liability coverage, but I really need coverage for losses to the vehicle.

Imagine a Mexican company sending adjusters to the US to investigate and pay claims for collisions and thefts.  Liability claims can easily be referred to an attorney for settlement.  Picture and American insurance company offering full coverage for a Mexican vehicle for a 2 week policy.  Where's the profit?  Drive carefully and lock your vehicle.  The vast majority have no problems.  If risking it is too risky...fly and rent a car.

Check very carefully, and don't take the spoken word of an agent. Most policies that 'cover you north of the border' do so with an attached separate policy, written by a separate company in the USA. They may exclude the 'collision' coverage, as parts for your Mexican car could be difficult, or just slightly different, etc., etc.

If your agent is Mexican, he is culturally incapable of responding to your question about coverage with a, "No". So, read the policy!

We were told in Laredo, TX, at a reputable Insurance Agency that we must have an address in the U.S. to buy comp and collision insurance.  We drive our MX plated car in TX with liability only.  If you find a way to get comp and collision, please let us know about it.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, Gonzales said:

Our Qualitas policy covers us in the US.

Qualitas told us that in order to have coverage while traveling in the US we would have to notify them beforehand.

Archived