Chapala.com Webboard

Glare of sun and oncoming car lights

Guest English Rose

Guest English Rose

Has anyone tried the clip on visors with the dark amber visor that gives you clearer vision from the glare of the sun and enables you to see thru the glare of the oncoming car lights at night? Did it work the way it is advertised and where did you get them down here? Thanks for any help. 😊 😙

I never used them driving, but when skiing on bright white snow and bright sunshine, we always used amber lenses in our goggles. It works! The glare is much less, and, even on an overcast day, the amber filter seems to help 'balance' the view. 

I would think you need some sort of polarized lenses. The yellow/amber lenses are for low light, night driving or fog. Maybe there are lens which are both polarized and yellow/amber? They are also very popular with people who spend long hours in front of computers screen (yes, I'm looking at you Tiny).

• Like 1

I went with the expensive option.  After my cataract surgery, one eye for near and the other for distance, I bought a pair of transition bi-focal. One lens clear and other for distance, improved reading and sunglasses when needed.  All in one pair of glasses.  I know most don't all of that.  I only use them for reading smaller print and outside for the sunglasses and protection from something blowing into the eyes.

One thing it also help me while driving is making sure the windshield is clean.  IMO dust on the windshield makes the glare worse.  I use the windshield washer a lot.

I have an expensive pair of glasses with polarized lens.  They help but do not eliminate the glare of the sun coming straight into my eyes in the morning and afternoon when driving directly into it.  However, my cheap Amber lens glasses do.  They also allow me to drive at night without experiencing the glare from headlights.  So, I suppose in reading all these comments the poster will just need to experiment to see if she/he is helped by using amber lens .

• Like 1

Speaking of cataract surgery.....  I had both eyes done last year. After all the dust settled I find that my vision at night is MUCH better... meaning much/most of that headlight glare is gone!  An unexpected benefit. I will say that in addition to that surgery, I later had the back side of my eyes ‘blasted’.... YAG surgery (if one can call 10 seconds of a procedure surgery!) It was then that the night vision got 100% better.

In another life I had a pair of those amber, polarized, glasses... it was the fad at the time. The ONLY place that I found them to be of benefit was on the ski slopes on overcast/low light days (of which there aren’t many in Colorado!). Otherwise not so much.

18 hours ago, Tiny said:

One thing it also help me while driving is making sure the windshield is clean.  IMO dust on the windshield makes the glare worse.  I use the windshield washer a lot.

It is not just dirt that is a problem. Windshields get pitted and essentially wear out over time and, of course, the time that you're really going to notice it is when you're diving into the sun or into oncoming headlights. Even a windshield which is free of chips or cracks can be worn out.