Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

HOUSEHOLD WATER FILTRATION QUESTION


Recommended Posts

I have a filtration system...the first is 20 micron filter and the second is a 10 micron filter.  It also passes through the UV light which I change annually.  I clean the filters monthly and replace them every 6 months.  I have been doing this for 15 years and use the  water in the kitchen for everything including drinking. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am assuming that the UV light (size?) gets changed once a year and the filters get changed as needed. Every house is different on the quality of water flowing through from the street so, if the house is new to you, check the first "white" filter every month until you get an idea of when. Alternatively, the previous owner? should have given you a schedule. One of those filters  should also be carbon (the second one). That is the exact set up we had on the coast using water directly from an aljibe and we made coffee with that water every morning. No problems. Also get your aljibe and/or tinaco cleaned out once a year.

apologies: others were posting at the same time so there's some duplicate info here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We do have another question:

We have a submersible pump in the aljibe working with a pressure tank system. The pump is brand new and the tank has been checked to be working well. The problem is that the pressure reading can only reach 10 psi max and stops there. The pump will run continuously. Shortly after turning off the pump the pressure would drop to zero.

What could be the causes and fixes?

Thanks again!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lily H said:

We do have another question:

We have a submersible pump in the aljibe working with a pressure tank system. The pump is brand new and the tank has been checked to be working well. The problem is that the pressure reading can only reach 10 psi max and stops there. The pump will run continuously. Shortly after turning off the pump the pressure would drop to zero.

What could be the causes and fixes?

Thanks again!!

Sounds like the bladder in the tank is shot. We had our tank replaced when this happened and that took care of it. The total cost with labor was less than $5,000. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We purchased a Berkey water filter for our drinking water and shower heads. Best one can buy. The locally sold home water filters do not take out fluoride nor arsenic nor pesticides and volatile organic chemicals and other compounds. I asked a company that installs whole house filters for the last water test they did on their system. All I got back was  a test for certain bacteria and thats it. I asked about all the other tests they should do. They said too expensive and I can get the unit installed and do them myself and do I think Ciello and Bonafanti test their water. After hearing that wonderful sales pitch I went right to Amazon and ordered a big Berkey. Takes care of all of our drinking needs and the shower filters for the rest of our needs . Cant beat it.

https://www.berkeywater.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

We purchased a Berkey water filter for our drinking water and shower heads. Best one can buy. The locally sold home water filters do not take out fluoride nor arsenic nor pesticides and volatile organic chemicals and other compounds. I asked a company that installs whole house filters for the last water test they did on their system. All I got back was  a test for certain bacteria and thats it. I asked about all the other tests they should do. They said too expensive and I can get the unit installed and do them myself and do I think Ciello and Bonafanti test their water. After hearing that wonderful sales pitch I went right to Amazon and ordered a big Berkey. Takes care of all of our drinking needs and the shower filters for the rest of our needs . Cant beat it.

https://www.berkeywater.com/

The water at lakeside does not have fluoride added and Arsenic is not normally a problem either. At least one village up the lake had arsenic in their well water. Dr Todd Strong helped them cleaning up the lake water for drinking with a big sand filter and purification. The village was lucky they had a permit to take water from the lake and use it for irrigation. So they were allowed to take the water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, geeser said:

It may not be the bladder. That problem with my system was the pressure switch. which is easy and inexpensive to test and replace.

Thank you all!

Geeser - We think it's the the pressure switch. We have cleaned it and will get a new one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not wanting to hijack this thread but do have a question about getting a totally new water system.

Can anyone access the pros and cons of the back flushing, sand filter system and appx cost?  I've tried Googling it but am sooo confused now!  TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mopsy said:

How difficult/expensive is it to install a UV filter?

 

UV lights do not come on their own... and they are not filters. A typical set up comes with two or three filters before the light. You can buy a small under sink system or a whole house system (filters will be larger and UV light will be longer). In either case, a source of electricity is needed in which to plug the unit. Priced according to size but not expensive, imho. Installation is easy, quick and cheap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Willie said:

Not wanting to hijack this thread but do have a question about getting a totally new water system.

Can anyone access the pros and cons of the back flushing, sand filter system and appx cost?  I've tried Googling it but am sooo confused now!  TIA

A sand filter system is exactly the same as that which is used for a pool. Basically, it takes the rough crud out but is not, all by itself, a purification system. It can also be used for "cleaning" grey water that will be used for garden irrigation. Depending on where you are located, there can be sand and fine gravel in the water which you would like to remove. My neighbor (who doesn't have a tinaco) has one that filters the water coming out of the aljibe before it goes into the house water line... and the backflush uses quite a bit of water all by itself and empties into the street. I have a 20 inch cellulose filter on the line coming into my house that goes directly to a tinaco and bypasses the aljibe (which I only use for emergency water). I change that filter every two months.

There is no one size fits all but, be assured, that a sand filter is not purifying your water, it's only taking out rough crud.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 9:29 PM, michael2595 said:

We purchased a Berkey water filter for our drinking water and shower heads. Best one can buy. The locally sold home water filters do not take out fluoride nor arsenic nor pesticides and volatile organic chemicals and other compounds. I asked a company that installs whole house filters for the last water test they did on their system. All I got back was  a test for certain bacteria and thats it. I asked about all the other tests they should do. They said too expensive and I can get the unit installed and do them myself and do I think Ciello and Bonafanti test their water. After hearing that wonderful sales pitch I went right to Amazon and ordered a big Berkey. Takes care of all of our drinking needs and the shower filters for the rest of our needs . Cant beat it.

https://www.berkeywater.com/

Next you know someone who wants a counter top Berkley type filter system, encourage them to build their own with two white food grade 5 gal buckets and a filter and small faucet for under $40 USD. I have one and think everyone should have one for back up. Search terms "filter element gravity water". 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...