Chapala.com Webboard

Security camera operation via ILOX router - anyone using?

Just had ILOX installed - great speeds ( 66 mbs down, 16 mbs uplink).  However cannot get the security cameras to work.  they worked great with  Telemex router before the switchover.

Any adjustments or 'tricks' to get it working??

My camera system is connected to the Telmex modem with Ethernet cable. The system requires what is called a static IP address which was set up by the installer. If yours is the same, CG is right. The installer must come back to set up a new connection.

Ariboy...Ilox by default assigns you a private IP address, which is different from Telmex which assigns public dynamic IP addresses. You will need to set up a port forward from the public IP address Ilox is using for you to the static IP address on your network.  That can be done a couple of ways.  I suggest you write a mail to the Ilox NOC,  noc@mail.ilox.mx and they´ll fix you right up.

Tom

11 hours ago, ARIBOY said:

Is that the ILOX installer or the Security camera system installer ? - cold you  clarify

( by the way, the security camera system does have a static IP address.)

Is your camera connected by Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable. If it Wi-Fi, you would need to change the Wi-Fi name and password in your camera software.

If you would need someone on-site, it would be camera installer or someone else with computer experience. Possible all it is changing the settings of the camera software settings.

The camera system is indeed connected via a LAN cable to the router.  there are two switches along the route.  Again, all worked fine with the Telmex router.  the moment  the cable was moved to the new Ilox router, it stopped working.   the Security system has a  fixed IP address.

ILOX folks came to the house yesterday, and after  much phone conversations with ILOX headqurters and doing all kind of thigns ( openning the desired ports, and other stuff I am not clearly aware of)  - came to the conclusion  that there is nothing else they can do, and that the problem is with my equipment ?? 

When I type in the IP address of the static camera system, I keep getting the message that the network is fine, but the unit does not respond.

Does any one out there has an ILOX router wherethe security camera system is working  properly both locally, as well es remotely via the Internet ??

PS my security camera system is Lorex brand.

Ariboy,  that sounds awfully odd.    I'd be happy to also take a look at this.   There should be no configuration Ilox dependent where your cameras can't work..   Please message me with your phone and lets talk.

Tom

The issue probably has nothing to do with the cameras.

I don't know how Ilox system works but I am assuming due to the price/bandwidth they offer that they are using NAT off of one public IP address.

Using NAT allows one single IP address to serve multiple customers or (group).

If you were to configure your cameras with your own internal IP you should be able to monitor them from within your home network.

The issue is you most likely will not be able to see the cameras outside the private network. With Telmex this is not an issue because Telmex assigns a public IP address to each client. Some ISP's for an additional monthly cost will assign you a public IP address (if requested) that way you would be able to see the cameras outside your private network.

A full Class C block of  IP's (255) addresses used to be cheap 20 years ago and were plentiful. I had 2, but they are now scarce and expensive which is why most ISP's will use NAT to avoid the extra overhead, unfortunately this creates a problem in this case cameras or any other device that needs to be broadcast on a public network to function.

If Ilox wants to they can configure the IP address on a network level (their sever) to work but to be honest it's a royal pain.

• Like 1

Hey Jonny,

No business relationship, pecuniary or financial relationship with Ilox WHATSOEVER.  I still work for a living and sell electronic components in Mexico and Latin America.   My only interest in getting Ilox to lakeside is so I can enjoy high speed Internet at my lakeside home when I retire, and a desire to do something for the community.   Before Ilox I petitioned Telmex for fiber, organized about 30 resident who agreed to pay...no response...that was a bit upsetting.

Rod,  correct, Ilox assigns a private 10.X.X.X IP by default.  They will assign a public dynamic IP  at no charge if you request.  For 750 MXN a year they'll give you a public fixed IP. 

Not sure what Ariboy's particular problem is but it should be fixable.   Ariboy  stephen.americasconsulting@gmail.com should be able to help.  

Tom

UPDATE

THERE APPEARS TO BE A MAJOR FLAW IN THE ILOX ROUTER program ( I AM USING THE BLACK ONE WITH 4 LAN PORTS IN THE BACK)

It appears that the ILOX router ports CANNOT communicate with one another - but only between each port and the internet . Hence there is no 'LAN netwrok" as it is supsed to be, just access to the internet from each LAN connection.

by connecting the ILOX router via a single LAN cable  to a switch, and connecting all the local PC's and  camera controller to that new switch, I can now see  from my PC all hte other PC's and the camera controller  on the LAN.

Interestingly, even the wireless  connections to the ILOX router cannot communicate to the other members of the LAN, but only to the internet.

Unless ILOX can reverse this, they are  bound to lose a lot of business.  This is still work in progress, but so far these are  the findings and the results.  Makes no sense why the LAN ports in the ILOX router cannot communicate with one another, but only to the internet.

Wait a minute here... I helped you on this and we need to clarify.  Yes, we are seeing a case of when you have a bunch of devices on the same network and some of them connect into one port of the modem and the other connect to another port, there seems to be some blocking of communication between the segments.  However devices on both segments get assigned IP addresses and access the internet.  This may in fact just be a security feature..like when you are on a hotel router and you try to see your peers and can´t . ,Just because all four ports on the Ilox modem don´t communicate among themselves transparently does´t make it a major flaw.   But yes, it does appear to be behaving slightly differently from the Telmex router.  That may be a feature, not a bug! 

For the moment We successfully addressed this particular issue  by making sure all devices among themselves were first connected on a switch and then running just one cable from that switch to the Ilox modem.    Later this week we´ll look at the port forwarding. 

Thanks everyone for your patience.     We are learning a lot from these initial installations.  I am sure the rest of this story will turn out just fine. 

Most modem routers work this way, especially those with custom firmware. And a fibre ONT or ONU is much more complicated in terms of assigned IP addresses, firewalls, NAT, etc.  than a DSL modem.

TelMex support in Mexico City is usually quite happy to help customers bridge their modems, add VOIP devices, and so on. The Internet Providers in my home town will absolutely not offer any help beyond their contracted services, which ends at their modem or access point. Basically what they are saying is "You bought the car; we are not here to teach you how to drive". Which makes a lot of sense, finance-wise. Do I like it? No. Where will Ilox be on this? I don't know.

Tkessler has indeed been very helpful with me in identifying and then a work around using the  switch ( muchas gracias, Tom), so things are improving, however, as a user, my expectation was to get a system that works equal or better than the previous one.  This is indeed  still work in progress, and I hope that  ILOX will provide a solution within their router.  The 'switch" addition solves the problem of connections within the LAN, but the wireless devices ( Ie cell phone) still cannot communicate with other LAN members, since the switch does not have WiFi.

Awaiting  further ideas on this.

49 minutes ago, ARIBOY said:

switch does not have WiFi

I am a little confused what you mean by switch. 

What I have read here is modem/router from iLox doesn't have very good wi-fi. What if you add a better wi-fi router for your internal network. All devices connected either Ethernet (including your camera) or wi-fi. I know it is not great if have to add additional equipment.

Everyone I know has 'extra' equipment past their TelMex modem.   I certainly do NOB what with VoIP phones(2), SmartTV, TIVO DVD,  in-house TV network, and a T-Mobile signal booster. Any more and I have to get a new router.

A switch is just a simple router, designed to act in much the same way as an extension cord. There are standard routers that also do this, and many that don't, although something called a crossover ethernet cable may solve that. A switch is a low-cost alternative to a full-on router, especially if you don't need one. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=ethernet+switch+with+wifi&qid=1555343032&s=gateway&sr=8-7

In this case, though, a router with WiFi that acts as a switch, could be the better choice, if we can determine that it's WiFi signal is stronger than the FiberHome modem from Ilox. Because I don't think there is such a thing as a WiFi switch.

I've been talking with Ilox about this.   Here is where they are now.   That may change in the future...But in any case, there should be no situation where you can't get running properly.

-  Optical Fiber Modems are more complicated than DSL modems.  They are certainly easier to screw up. 

-  All ISP's tend to give you crappy crippled modems, some crappier and more crippled than others.  The more crippled they are, the less you can screw it up and create headache service calls for the ISP.  So there are good reasons behind this.

- Telmex modems offer a fair amount of versatility.  You can forward ports, enable DDNS, set firewall levels, etc.  There's also a lot you can't do.  They also tend to be buggy.  I have to reset my Telmex modem every week or two.  And Telmex is slow. 

- The Ilox modem is more restricted than Telmex.  One good reason is that 90% of what you want to do on the Internet can be handled by their modem config...The modem allows any service that works via outgoing connections.   Incoming connections require port mapping.  Default blocking of incoming connections helps keep hackers and phishers out of your system.  Trust me thats a good thing.  

- Now here's the key difference:   Ilox will absolutely configure your modem to whatever you need like the Telmex modem.  They have no policies against mapping ports, or anything else.   They are not a restrictive ISP.  They just want to work with you to program it from their end to keep control over the crazies. .  You email the NOC, they'll answer quickly with the changes.  They give you a private IP by default, you can map ports to that...If there's a problem there, they'll switch it to  dynamic public IP like Telmex.  If you're mapping ports, somewhere you'll need to be running DDNS.   For $750 pesos a year they'll give you a fixed IP.   So there's your challenge.  You have to know what you want with some clarity! 

Will Ilox at some point open up their modems and make them more like Telmex.? .Maybe...Is that a good idea?  Maybe not...Very few people know what all those modem features do.  The few people that need them simply need to ask for them.   

Image result for spock the needs of the many 

Tom

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:28 PM, RickS said:

Thanks for explaining that Tom.  As an ole IT man, I say the less access the masses have to their modem the better off. Them offering to make  the changes is the best way to go IMO.

I have never made changes/add software to a modem.  Why do that with an already slow piece of equipment?

My attitude concerning the modem is that it is the internet provider's equipment, not mine. If the provider needs to exchange or diagnose a problem, the equipment is the way that they installed it. Making it easier for them and myself. I just plug in my devices. If I want to install or change something, it is still on my equipment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1