Chapala.com Webboard

Sealing an aljibe

I've watched several aljibes being built and have seen how particular the workers are that the final coat of concrete inside is done in a short period of time to ensure it doesn't leak. I wonder about an older aljibe. Where I am the aljibe (maybe 12 years old) is partly above ground where it leaks a bit so that the paint covering the concrete on the outside always looks shabby. Is it possible to drain an older aljibe, clean it and then paint it with a water proof product inside so that it will stop leaking?

My neighbour just tiled the inside of his.  Used a swimming pool type grout.  Should be a lot easier to clean.

Yes it is but you want it PARGED inside not painted. I had this done to my existing aljibe when I first moved in by JP Home Services. The aljibe is drained, cleaned then parged and refilled. Takes less than one day. I could hear the water filling it and haven't heard it since it filled and the level stays the same so I know it's not leaking.

1 hour ago, vista lake said:

Other option is plastering again! They install chiken wire in the old inside plaster, them put new concrete! They put in the new concrete fiber glass to have a better concrete warranty! But check prices to! To make new algibe 2x2m2 the cost is like $40 000pesos. Saludos!

That is another option I need to check out.  Mine is larger-about 12,000 liters. Probably too pricey.

Yes Floradude! Good maintenance is the key. 

When I bought this house in March of 2016, the aljibe was twenty years old as well. Since the previous owner didn't even know how big it was, I just assumed the worst and got it checked out immediately.