Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Service

Out1

A lot of people are performing Ilox speed tests and most are very happy.  A few are unhappy.  Know this:  speed tests are treacherous...They may or may not be indicative of an Ilox problem.  They could be indicative of a problem on your side.  Or no problem at all..because your speed test isn't correlated with the service you're trying to measure.

Here are some tips:

- The ONLY  speed test that might be a basis for complaint to Ilox is where you  direct plug your late model computer to your Ilox modem preferably a via a gigabit ethernet cable, not running any VPN software, and test with fast.com.  Make sure its the only thing plugged in.   Fast.com are the Netflix servers that peer directly into them   If you aren't getting a decent speed doing this,  then there's a chance your optical power into Ilox might be low..bad cable splice..you can check this logging into your modem and looking at the optical power page....This is a very rare situation but it can happen.  If your receive signal is higher than about -30 dbm ( -29, -14, etc being higher - these are negative numbers) at least your receive signal is in good shape. 

If you are trying other speed tests, first read these comments from the Ilox NOC. 

Depending on the service you can be routed by our peer with:

Google, Netflix and Facebook through or direct peers with them
 Marcatel if a Mexican network is to be reached.
 Cogent, Level 3 or PCCW for international networks
image.png

85% of the traffic generated by our clients have a direct peer, this is Google primary, Netflix and Facebook
Traffic to Mexican IP destinations are less than 2% of the traffic

A speed network is not always representative of a connection speed, specially if its done to a public speedserver.net server, if a speed test is needed you should always do it connected with cable to the modem, since wifi on modems is 2.4GHz and pretty crouded so it can have ups and downs while testing.

FAST.COM is a service by NETFLIX and we do have direct peering with them.
-----------------------------------------

In other words...don't freak out if your Speedtest with Triara in Guadalajara is choking unless you are also communicating with Telmex servers.   If you're going to the states on a streaming connection, Ilox has your back with international peering connections up through Cogent, Level 3, and PCCW.  Less than 2% of their traffic goes to other parts of Mexico.  

There are other reasons your speed can be down.   Don't try to speedtest over wifi, especially 2.4 ghz, which is horribly congested.  Don't expect old PCs and give you any decent speed.  Don't expect a 100 mbit ethernet cable to go above 100  on your 250 service, and don't expect your 3 year old VPN router,  choking on the encryption software you loaded, to have anything left over to give you any speed.  Get a late model dedicated VPN router if you want that.  We're seeing all these situations with customers and frankly its not fair to Ilox.  

• Like 1

Thanks Tom! I'm still waiting patiently for the crews to get to Riberas. BUT, I wanted to let people know that Internet Explorer 11 is now the slowest browser in the world for me. Couldn't figure out what was going on because speed (with Telmex) was good but browser was s.l.o.o.o.w . So I tried Edge and that is just ticketyboo. ComputerGuy told me that Edge is also on its way out which I appreciated but had already moved all my bookmarks. Sigh. When did I ever have the time to work.

image.png

85% of the traffic generated by our clients have a direct peer, this is Google primary, Netflix and Facebook

Will someone please take a shot at explaining this to me? Pretend you're explaining to your (awesome) dog.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Sea,

Ilox's connects to other networks internationally.  They have gateway connections at the border.  Depending on where you are trying to connect, they may route the traffic through Cogent, Level 3, or PCCW.  These are all top notch international carriers.  If you are connecting somewhere else in Mexico, they'll go through Marcatel in Monterrey.   If you are using Google, Facebook, or Netflix, they have direct high speed connections.    Ilox network is all fiber.  They have  no bottlenecks to Google, Facebook, Netflix, or their gateways because those companies WANT you to have the best service.so they pay for them...  The reality of the situation is that if you are seeing  bottlenecks, their probably on your side, or beyond the gateways.     You can always ask the Ilox NOC for modem check...   noc@mail.ilox.mx .  That will take a lot of potential issues off the table. 

Bottom line, if you're seeing speed problems, most of the time you'll need to look in the mirror or where you're connecting.   

Here's the next point.  International gateway connections can be "oversubscribed" for residential service.   Like when you fly on different airlines, one might overbook a lot more than another to keep their planes full.   If they overbook too much, they'll piss off their customers and they'll go elsewhere.   But the airline controls it.    Same for Ilox.   They have to pay for  international connection bandwidth and need to make sure its properly utilized.  If they oversubscribe  too much, they'll lower the quality of service and piss off the customers.  If underutilized they leave money on the table, not good for business. 

@Out

Speed dropouts to dead slow for a second or two are often NAT firewall problems.    Would need to understand how you're hooked up, what devices ares showing this, where you're connecting to.  Those Ilox international gateways are used for both business grade and residential service and any intermittent services at the gateway would be a very big deal.  Are you seeing this on connections to multiple destinations?

Tom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tkessler said:

Hey Sea,

Ilox's connects to other networks internationally.  They have gateway connections at the border.  Depending on where you are trying to connect, they may route the traffic through Cogent, Level 3, or PCCW.  These are all top notch international carriers.  If you are connecting somewhere else in Mexico, they'll go through Marcatel in Monterrey.   If you are using Google, Facebook, or Netflix, they have direct high speed connections.    Ilox network is all fiber.  They have  no bottlenecks to Google, Facebook, Netflix, or their gateways because those companies WANT you to have the best service.so they pay for them...  The reality of the situation is that if you are seeing  bottlenecks, their probably on your side, or beyond the gateways.     You can always ask the Ilox NOC for modem check...   noc@mail.ilox.mx .  That will take a lot of potential issues off the table. 

Bottom line, if you're seeing speed problems, most of the time you'll need to look in the mirror or where you're connecting.   

Here's the next point.  International gateway connections can be "oversubscribed" for residential service.   Like when you fly on different airlines, one might overbook a lot more than another to keep their planes full.   If they overbook too much, they'll piss off their customers and they'll go elsewhere.   But the airline controls it.    Same for Ilox.   They have to pay for  international connection bandwidth and need to make sure its properly utilized.  If they oversubscribe it, they'll lower the quality of service and piss off the customers.  If underutilized they leave money on the table, not good for business. 

@Out

Speed dropouts to dead slow for a second or two are often NAT firewall problems.    Would need to understand how you're hooked up, what devices ares showing this, where you're connecting to.  Those Ilox international gateways are used for both business grade and residential service and any intermittent services at the gateway would be a very big deal.  Are you seeing this on connections to multiple destinations?

Tom

"If they oversubscribe it"! Are you implying that Ilox doesn't oversubscribe?  Here's a hint for you: All providers oversubscribe. It's how they stay in business.

"Ilox network is all fiber." So what! The Titanic was said to be unsinkable. Fiber is only as fast as the hardware to which it is connected, and that presupposes that there isn't any rate-limiting applied.

"If you are using Google, Facebook, or Netflix, they have direct high speed connections"  Yeah, no they don't. There's this little thing called economies of scale, and none of the companies you mentioned have it. Not in the way you suggest. Next you'll be telling us there's a kind and loving god who'll torture us for eternity if we don't believe in it. Who's that stupid?

• Sad 2

First of all, there is no point in answering questions like this publicly with technical detail that 99% of people don't understand, because it just begs for retaliatory shots from people who think they understand, or worse. Second of all, see First of all.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Mark,

- Ilox does oversubscribe.   I said same for Ilox..   Why are you saying I implied differently?.   But they oversubscribe less than Telmex, which is why the users on clean setups are seeing good performance. 

-  Yes they do have those peering connections.  I can probably dig up some proof of them.    For the moment I'll quote the Victor Godinez, the President of Ilox:

image.png

Traffic to Mexican IP destinations are less than 2% of the traffic

-----------------------------------

-  Ilox network is all fiber:    From a bottleneck point of view, fiber is vastly superior to say DSL.   Your core fiber connection is about 1.2 Gbps symmetrical vs. few Mbits.  The network core within Ilox has  no signficant bottlenecks.   The hardware limitations start, yes, at the 100 mbps or 1 gb port on your router, or at the interconnected networks.   That's a huge improvement in removing network bottlenecks.

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

tkessler, I spent 25 years in the industry, there's precious little you could tell me that I don't already know. And for the record, I asked a question, it's your inference that is flawed. "But they oversubscribe less than Telmex, which is why the users on clean setups are seeing good performance ". You shouldn't discuss matters that you clearly don't understand.

• Sad 4

14 hours ago, Out1 said:

Ilox speed seems to drops off to dead slow (falls asleep) if you are not using it continuously; my Telmex service seems to be faster at browsing at 8 mbs speed.

What could be a solution maybe is change your dns servers manually to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 maybe the dns servers of ilox aren't that fast which could lead to this kind of problems. Ofcourse this is if you didn't do this yet. Could still be an other problem, but i got similar problems solved with this solution in the past.

Mark,

I guess all those Telmex subscribers who weren't able to stream IPTV and now can with Ilox are just imagining things.   Could also be Telmex bottlenecks.  I have Telmex VDSL and Axtel fiber in Guadalajara and the Axtel streams a lot better.   When my Ilox hooks up I'll have a better opinion. 

What it is exactly that I don't understand?.  I have 35 years in the industry, several of those as a VP of Operations for a Telecom company on the NYSE.    

• Like 3

Ednet, you make a great point...slow DNS servers are often a problem...try other ones...will add that point to my list!  thanks for sharing..

• Like 1

We've had iLOX in our home about 10 days and are THRILLED with it!  Can't tell you the great joy I had returning the TelMex modem and cancelling Telecable on Wednesday of this past week.  It was with great glee when I answered the question, "why are you cancelling your service?"  FIBER OPTIC!  :)

VERY happy iLOX subscriber in central Ajijic,

Val  :)

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Out1 said:

So is anyone thrilled with Ilox? File download speeds are great; but i find just surfing the web is poor.

You may not have seen my other posts, describing how it is that Internet browsers are your bottleneck. At speeds of 10Mbps and more, you will see basically no difference when page-turning while surfing.

• Like 1

For those of you who were lakeside in 1997. That was the year that local internet service was first introduced lakeside by Rod Collins. It was, of course, dialup and our dialup was about half as fast as most dialup services. Our download speeds were limited to up to 28.8 bits/sec down. Upload speed was not limited and sometimes we got up to 30 to 35 bits per second up. The name of that internet service provider was Lagunanet. And the monthly cost was $40 US  Now for $389 pesos per month I get some 10 megabits/sec down (10,000,000 bits) and free long distance calling to some 50+ countries frim Telmex.

We were so happy and thought that this 28.8 bits was so fast.  Then came kilobits and now megabits. How the world has changed in the last 20 plus years.

• Like 1