Chapala.com Webboard

Are emissions tests being done currently?

A friend wrote this to me today "I got stopped in a transit roundup today & got a ticket for no current emissions test. I’m working with a Mexican friend to go & get that. If you have a new car (my friends bought their Nissan March a year ago last December) do you need emissions checked every year? They’re wondering if they have to go in."  I was under the impression that emissions testing was currently on hold and would not be resumed until at least June.  Has that changed?  Also how long until a new car requires emissions testing?  A 2017?  A 2018?

• 2 weeks later...

After reading an article in the Mural, which confused me completely, I went to the testing location in Chapala last week and found it closed with no indication of any activity around it. The mechanic next door, told me it had not been open lately. When it was till in operation the tester told me cars of two years or less did not have to be tested.

• 1 month later...

The testing month is con nected to the number on your plate so logically ther eis testing all year round.. However the machine broke so it was suspended until June...You have so many days to get it done when you get stopped, they give you a warnng not a ticket. 

If your friend is nervous about it she should go to Joco , otherwise go in June as soon as possible and ask them about the rule for the new cars.. You do not have to do it on the first year, after that I do not remember..Sorry.

Typical , the program is suspended until June but the transito still stop you for it in May.. typical.

6 minutes ago, bmh said:

If your friend is nervous about it she should go to Joco , otherwise go in June as soon as possible and ask them about the rule for the new cars.. You do not have to do it on the first year, after that I do not remember..Sorry.

According to the accredited mechanics even Joco has lost it's accreditation

That's what I heard WideSky, ie that there was no place lakeside where one could get a smog test until later in the year. I heard that in maybe January and they had not set a date at that time when you could do it again. I did not pay close attention because my inspection month is in late fall.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:59 PM, bdlngton said:

A friend wrote this to me today "I got stopped in a transit roundup today & got a ticket for no current emissions test. I’m working with a Mexican friend to go & get that. If you have a new car (my friends bought their Nissan March a year ago last December) do you need emissions checked every year? They’re wondering if they have to go in."  I was under the impression that emissions testing was currently on hold and would not be resumed until at least June.  Has that changed?  Also how long until a new car requires emissions testing?  A 2017?  A 2018?

According to an article in the Guadalajara Reporter the emissions testing program has been suspended until July when they will have new equipment on line and a new list of accredited garages. I keep this article in my glove box for those police that aren't aware of this. Also, cars that are one or two years new don't require testing. Since the cops have been targeting nortenos ( in my opinion ) I have done my own research at Walmart and other places where there are a great deal of cars and it would appear that about five percent of all cars have the smog hologram. I'm just saying !!

We heard from government reps at a recent meeting. They said the emissions program was "under review" but still in effect. There are emissions testing sites in Guadalajara which can complete the test and give a sticker. If you have a 2017 auto, you need a sticker this year based on the last number of your license plate (same goes for all years), but they may not be enforcing at this time. If you have a 2018/19, you do not need a sticker this year. If you have an older model car with an expired (or no) sticker, you may be ticketed even though the program is "under review" because you were already out-of-date when the review started. Clear? I know, not really. I have a 2017 and I will take my chances for now, as the alternative is a trip to Guad, which is all I would have to do IF I got pulled over. 

I looked at the link provided above by a poster for places to get emissions testing.  I find that feature difficult to use and can't tell the state in which some of them are located.  If someone has some addresses on the way to or within Guadalajara, I'd appreciate the information.

3 hours ago, Zeb said:

I looked at the link provided above by a poster for places to get emissions testing.  I find that feature difficult to use and can't tell the state in which some of them are located.  If someone has some addresses on the way to or within Guadalajara, I'd appreciate the information.

JM Mechanica Automotriz
Guadalajara - El Salto Highway 35
Col. La Ermita, El Salto, Jal.
33-3689-7312  33-3904-4036
received my inspection sticker there on 4 May 2019

3 hours ago, Zeb said:

Considering the link is ONLY for Jalisco and if you scroll with your mouse slowly it zooms in, then click on a pin and it brings up the address; Looks like a lot of them are running out not too many green pins anymore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...