Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

dreadlocks / jatas - who can start them near Riberas Del Pilar?


Recommended Posts

 

Does anyone know of a good person who can build new dreadlocks? i have done it

once before, on myself— it is incredibly tiring to do for yourself, you get tired arms.

doing it on someone else is much faster. I have long hair, am a woman, 

a friend suggests a young Mexican woman would be hip to this, and know the technique. i am thinking someone young might be tuned in to youtube, have seen plenty ( as I have)  and know how to begin the dreads... i know mexico is a bit counter-intuitive as the place to have them done.  am here for some months. Want them done for my birthday. 

 

 

ideas? thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

You could head to the beach and there will be all kinds of ladies to help you.  Uh...calm and not too bright...no creo!

As far as I've seen, the women on the beach do braids, not dreadlocks. Do you know the difference?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To return this thread to the OP's question - and take it away from the little boys - call Sandra at Ganesha Spa. I have no idea if she knows how to do dreads (do you know what they might be called in Spanish?) but they have a single room for hair treatments and only one person at a time.

Ganesha Spa 766-5653 

https://www.chapala.com/ganeshaspa.html

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mudgirl said:

As far as I've seen, the women on the beach do braids, not dreadlocks. Do you know the difference?

Haha, yes, although lily white I do know the difference. And there are many Mexican women on the beach who do dreads.  I have watched them.  Perhaps with your knowledge you could help the OP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, alison said:

“calm and not too bright”... oh dear, sounds like a diss of the ladies.  I was thinking of an indoor place, and reading various posts about hair salons, some being called noisy. ... etc. 

No diss of the ladies intended.  If you have been to a Mexican beach where there are vendors "working the crowd" you know conditions are anything but calm and the sun is usually very bright reflecting off the sand.  Some people instantly assume every comment must be a put down.  Sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have yet to see anyone doing dreadlocks at the beach.. braiding African style yes but not dreadlocks, those are done at hairdressers. I would look in Guadalajara for dreadlocks not at the beach.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is excellent at creating and maintaining dreadlocks. Hers are gorgeous actually:-) She however won't be Lakeside until the end of May or first part of June:/ If you are still looking then let me know and I am positive she would do it for you:-) 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmh said:

I have yet to see anyone doing dreadlocks at the beach.. braiding African style yes but not dreadlocks, those are done at hairdressers. I would look in Guadalajara for dreadlocks not at the beach.

You probably don't live at the beach...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Haha, yes, although lily white I do know the difference. And there are many Mexican women on the beach who do dreads.  I have watched them.  Perhaps with your knowledge you could help the OP.

As I don't live Lakeside, i wouldn't know anyone there who does them , so sorry, can't help the OP. I live in Sayulita, and I've seen those women doing braids, cornrows, etc, on the beach, but never dreads. Maybe I just missed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

As I don't live Lakeside, i wouldn't know anyone there who does them , so sorry, can't help the OP. I live in Sayulita, and I've seen those women doing braids, cornrows, etc, on the beach, but never dreads. Maybe I just missed it.

Next time you're in PV, especially during a time of lots of tourists, you can usually see them on Los Muertos doing some dreads. PV attracts, ahem, a much more eclectic crowd than Lakeside so the vendors are offering what they want. Until just a few years ago Lakeside was almost lily white and probably not much demand for dreads.  PV attracts a mix of everyone, as I suspect Sayulita does also.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

PV attracts a mix of everyone, as I suspect Sayulita does also.

Oh you're right about that. Everything here from dreaded-out backpacking Mexican hippies to lily-white, loud, obese American families who look like it's their first trip outside of Armpit, Iowa 🙂 I actually avoid the downtown area and the main beach like a plague.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:26 AM, Susy Wilson said:

My daughter is excellent at creating and maintaining dreadlocks. Hers are gorgeous actually:-) She however won't be Lakeside until the end of May or first part of June:/ If you are still looking then let me know and I am positive she would do it for you:-) 

This is an excellent offer BUT, if you need another option, I found one for you. Today I asked Ritchie (dog walker etc.) (whose dreadlocks are down to his waist) who he would recommend. His answer was Patricio of Pato Dreads (Rastilista) in Guadalajara. He WILL come Lakeside. Cell phone is 331-021-0728. I do not know if he speaks English.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, Ajijic_hiker said:

dread locks, also known as dreadful locks..  👾...not something all that popular with the local Mexicanos...thank goodness.......

I just lost my dreadlocks after 19 years due to cancer.  Mine were neat and clean and everyone loved them.  Mine were started instantly by giving me a permanent and then backcombing.  I am 72 years old and want them again when my hair is 5 inches long.  I'm looking for a beautician in the Lake Chapala area too.

Barley

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alison,

If you find someone let me know.  I responded to someone who does not like dreads.  Perhaps this is because they can look messy.  Mine were started by a beautician who gave my straight blond hair a permanent and then backcombed.  I wore them for 19 years before cancer made me have to shave them off.

Barley

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...