Chapala.com Webboard

A few Internet postings from rthe past year

NLU

I just thought that it might be interesting to review a couple of older posts regarding internet service.

Posted February 13, 2018 by The Best Side of the Wall

I too have concerns. One of which is customer service after the fact. To do a one-year contract and then have it go out all the time isn't smart. I am more than willing to sign up monthly until they prove dependability long enough for me to feel a yearlong contract isn't a risk.  Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they can do it well.  I was more than ready to jump on board until I saw how small and new they were.

Posted October 29, 2018 by Along the Way

Ilox has been here (south shore) for years.  I have a neighbor who's had their residential service for a couple of years.  He reported there were some outages from time to time, and, you pay a year in advance.  Speeds can be much higher than Telmex.

When it's working, it's a good service.

Ilox's system was installed at Roca Azul around a year ago, and the residents there report continued, frequent outages of the internet .

My wife came home from her Spanish teacher's house with a not good ILOX story.  Seems they were among the "charter" group who paid up front and signed a year's contract.  When the service was installed neither the internet nor the phone line worked properly.  After repeated calls for service that was not provided, they were asked if they were not satisfied with the service.  Obviously they answered,  not yet.  The representative said, OK we'll disconnect you and then did so and hung up.  They were denied a refund as well.

While I suspect they didn't handle this problem well, the response of the ILOX representative was pretty bad.  Worse, they had disconnected their TelMex land line when switching and now have no internet and only cell phones.  I have suggested they start by going up to the ILOX office and talking with the people there directly and also maybe getting in touch with TKessler.  As a last resort I suggested they file a complaint with Profeco.

Meanwhile TelMex is promising greatly improved service in our area by April 30.  I think we will continue to wait and watch and see how this all shakes out.

That's a shame. No one should be treated this way.

I feelm sorry for Tom as it is very unlikely that he will be able to help.

RE new Telemx service, see posting on other topic:

I have not yet eceived an e-mail, but i was in the Ajijic Telmex office yesterday and saw their flier announcing the higher speeds due 30 April. During my consult, iasked about that ans was told, it will probably be several weeks after that, but,' Yes, it is coming.'

It looks like a good deal if they deliver what they promise.

There are several plans, but the one that interest me is 100 mbps plus Claro Video (including I think a claro video box and maybe HBO) plus 3 phone lines 150 GB cloud storage for $999 MX

38 minutes ago, NLU said:

I feel sorry for Tom as it is very unlikely that he will be able to help.

.... and “also getting in touch with TKessler.”

I feel sorry for Tom as it is not his responsibility to even get involved with service calls!  Yes, I know that he ‘championed’ the ILOX cause and it probably/definitely would not have happened without his involvement. But to imply that folks should maybe get in touch with him for service call assistance is a bit over the top for me.  YMMV

It will be interesting to see what the new Telmex ‘greatly improved service’ will be.  Local Telmex in the past has been anything but ‘greatly’, much less improved.....

• Thanks 1

Some people are ecstatic about iLox but very few people feel the same way about Telmex. Having choices is good because it makes ALL pull up their socks. If prepaying for a year of iLox got Telmex to smarten up and offer better speeds and better customer service, then I consider it to have been money well spent.

BTW, I wouldn't even consider dropping one OR the other until after a year had passed with both in operation. Let the competition between the two begin. Winner takes all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great post, Ferret!

The final advice is GREAT!

I am so fortunate that I chose not to cancel my Telmex service when Ilox was installed.

Even so, my phone number had already been ported to Ilox and I had to wait until it was ported back to Ilox.

To Ilox' credit they ported it back very quickly.

Thus i was 'out-of-service' for only about 30 hours.

Ilox has been here (south shore) for years.  I have a neighbor who's had their residential service for a couple of years.  He reported there were some outages from time to time, and, you pay a year in advance.  Speeds can be much higher than Telmex.

Ilox's system was installed at Roca Azul around a year ago, and the residents there report continued, frequent outages of the internet .

Does this mean that ILOX feeds from the west end of Lake Chapala? Just wondering as our home is on the lake along the carraterra just east of Senderos Del Lago. I know we would not be able to have it installed right away but hopefully we wont have to wait years:/ I realize that they are trying to get the folks that prepaid hooked up as quickly as possible but hope we can get service in the not terribly distant future. 

I´ll weigh in here a bit:

- The total experience of an Internet connection depends upon the both the user and Internet provider ISP) .  Both can have issues.

- Unfortunately, a lot of users unconditionally equate their experience with the ISP.    If the ISP does a box performance check and doesn't find any issues, there is a reason for that. It should serve as red flag for the customer to take a closer look on his end.  There are ton of potential problems that can be on the customer side.  But some customers just want to keep blaming the ISP.  You try to be polite, educate, make suggestions...But some customers just don't stop.  There's not a lot an ISP can do in those cases.     My problems are your fault, period.  My perception of your service is that its bad.    In extreme cases, they'll terminate service and cut their losses.   If you want to judge one of those cases, make sure there is full disclosure of the dialog both ways. 

-The Roca Azul situation:  Ilox ran several Km of fiber to provide service to a trailer park who sub-rents the service.   The quality of the connection to their gateway has been checked exhaustively and found to have no problems.   Yet the mud still flies.  Maybe that trailer will permit a third party review of their installation?

- No its not my responsibility to handle service calls but the challenges here have been very interesting...I'll drop out soon.  

Tom

• Thanks 1