Chapala.com Webboard

Chipped key for Nissan x-trail

Hola, a parking lot guy lost our car keys. We need another chipped key. I was told by locksmiths here I had to go to Nissan dealership. The closest to us is in Santa Anita but I can’t find the phone number to call and ask. Anyone know?

The address I found was NISSAN SANTA   Av. López Mateos No.4115, Los Gavilanes. Tlajomulco de Zúñiga, Jalisco. México, 45603 But no number or email. I believe this is the one I see on the way to Puerta Herrio de Sur hospital.

Thank you

NISSAN SANTA ANITA

Av. López Mateos No.4115, Los Gavilanes. Tlajomulco de Zúñiga, Jalisco. Mexico, 45603
Sales
:
20 02 5200
Service
:
20 02 5200

A friend of ours just got a new key and had it programmed at a locksmith's in Chapala. It was not a Nissan but you might check it out in order to save a trip into Guadalajara. When you get into Chapala (going east from Ajijic) you will come to a traffic light as you enter town. Go straight through that light for a block and a half. The locksmith is on the right a couple of doors into the second block. Best locksmith in the area by far. 

• Like 2

There are experts in Guadalajara who carry around portable equipment to code keys; I don't know the names, but I presume they contract out to dealers. When you code a key, all keys must be present. I only know about them because there used to be a key guy beside WalMart at Galerias Plaza, and he brought them in for me. This was some years back; I had received a third key/fob via eBay, and needed it coded. In my case, it was hopeless, because they couldn't find my car in their database. They tried for hours on two different occasions.

I'm guessing there are some kind of legal standards for this sort of thing; otherwise, I would be able to be the coder gear itself on eBay. But think of the car thefts...

Unless there's something super special about a Nissan key, good locksmiths can re key and make you a new key for probably half the price a dealership will. And no, you don't need the old one- they'll reprogramme it. (You don't want the same old key your parking guy lost anyway, there's the potential for theft, if it's not really "lost") I lost the electronic chipped key to my Ford Escape and the only other other key I had was a not-chipped one that only opened the doors manually, but couldn't be used to start the car. Any good locksmith with the right equipment can do this. I actually got them to just make me a new key without the electronic fob- there's just a small chip in the key. I hated the electronic fob, as the car self-locked within 30 seconds after closing the doors- a real pain when you're trying to unload groceries.

• Like 1

A key yes. A fob, no. And of course you don't need the old key. That is not what I meant. The truth is you cannot code fobs or keys individually; they all have to be done together. Otherwise, you end up with fobs/keys where some work, and some dont.

36 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Unless there's something super special about a Nissan key, good locksmiths can re key and make you a new key for probably half the price a dealership will. And no, you don't need the old one- they'll reprogramme it. (You don't want the same old key your parking guy lost anyway, there's the potential for theft, if it's not really "lost") I lost the electronic chipped key to my Ford Escape and the only other other key I had was a not-chipped one that only opened the doors manually, but couldn't be used to start the car. Any good locksmith with the right equipment can do this. I actually got them to just make me a new key without the electronic fob- there's just a small chip in the key. I hated the electronic fob, as the car self-locked within 30 seconds after closing the doors- a real pain when you're trying to unload groceries.

"a real pain when you're trying to unload groceries"  how about:  a real lifesaver when you could be a carjacking victim!  It was very recently a horrible experience for a 75 year old woman on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of Ajijic  - please lock your doors! and appreciate it when they self lock - 

For every 75 YO woman.... I’m older.... there are thousands who would just as soon have control over when their doors lock and when they don’t. Count me in the “don’t” camp!

Many (most?) newer vehicle will let one overide this factory setting....

• Like 1

I researched all this before I bought my spare fob. Many vehicles allow you to access the on-board computer to set your own keys. Mine did not. Maybe it's time for a good Google.

I hope you get some results quickly. I wonder about a parking lot guy who "loses" a programmed key.

I lost a key and the fob to open the doors and trunk.  I went to the guy in Chapala mentioned above and he made a new chipped  key and reprogrammed my extra key and valet key.  I also got a new fob.  He also said that the key I lost and the old fob won't work new so no chance of it being stolen with the old key.  It was for a Nissan Maxima.  I think he total cost was 1600 pesos.

In my earlier post I said "key" when I should have said "key fob". Our friend got a new key fob and had it programmed with the guys in Chapala. And as ComputerGuy said they had to have everything reprogrammed so they all work. Everything working perfectly now for him.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, Seren said:

"a real pain when you're trying to unload groceries"  how about:  a real lifesaver when you could be a carjacking victim!  It was very recently a horrible experience for a 75 year old woman on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of Ajijic  - please lock your doors! and appreciate it when they self lock - 

Of course I lock my doors. I just don't want them self-locking. To each his own.

18 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Of course I lock my doors. I just don't want them self-locking. To each his own.

I wish I were able to remember to lock my doors - it should be a habit, but maybe I can't develop the habit because my doors lock themselves ... whatever ... as long as we can all stay safe and be aware 😊