Chapala.com Webboard

Medical insurance recommendation

On 4/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, AngusMactavish said:

I immediately went there to look and apply but this slapped me down:

"Applicants with any Diabetes OR who have Cancer at any time in life MAY NOT apply."

Angus,

I had diabetes for a few year but worked hard and reversed it. All tests are in the normal range now.

That disqualifies me because of "any Diabetes ... at any time in life ..." with Best Doctors Group Insurance, right?

18 minutes ago, Lily H said:

Angus,

I had diabetes for a few year but worked hard and reversed it. All tests are in the normal range now.

That disqualifies me because of "any Diabetes ... at any time in life ..." with Best Doctors Group Insurance, right?

I interpret it differently than you parsed it. Reversed diabetes pass, removed cancer no. I am both.

1 hour ago, Lily H said:

Angus,

Look into Vumi expat insurance. The insurance office across from quality care sells it. pretty darn good and everything is explained on the website. Look at the bronze policy and what it offers.

55 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

Look into Vumi expat insurance. The insurance office across from quality care sells it. pretty darn good and everything is explained on the website. Look at the bronze policy and what it offers.

I read the entire VUMI Bronze brochure. It really looks excellent! 

I failed to find out any reviews on claims. Have you heard any satisfied claims at the Lakeside?

Thanks much!

1 hour ago, Lily H said:

I read the entire VUMI Bronze brochure. It really looks excellent! 

I failed to find out any reviews on claims. Have you heard any satisfied claims at the Lakeside?

Thanks much!

I have heard from friends in Puerto Vallarta that they really have had not one issue with their claims. My wife has it.   

12 hours ago, RickS said:

If pappy’s remark was not clear enough.... Medicare does NOT pay for any services rendered out of the US. ANY. And if Medicare is not going to pay, your ‘supplement’, that is tied to Medicare at the hip head and ankle, isn’t going to either. 

My Medigap will pay for medical emergencies (with certain limitations) that occur during the first 60 days of any trip outside the US.   That coverage is fairly common with Medigap policies.  

From the Medicare website:

Medigap coverage outside the U.S.

If you have Medigap Plan C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M or N, your plan:

• Covers foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.

• Pays 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.

Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

And, I believe that those premiums are per YEAR. I filled out one of their forms and (with controlled Narcolepsy and Cataplexy as my pre condition) I was quoted the 1,968 rate at $164.00 U.S. per month. Decided I needed to finish renovating my house... but will consider it within the next year.

I would be interesting, and worth a conversation with them, to understand their boast that they accept most Medicare Advantage Plans. Most of those plans are HMO types.... must get PCP referral and only use in-network providers IN A SPECIFIC REGION. There is, at least on my AARP Advantage plan, an opportunity to use out-of-network facilities in an 'emergency' like when traveling in another state. With that they will reimburse one for covered expenses.  How that might apply or not to another country, Mexico, I don't know. 

Anyone up to calling them for the good of the order?

On 4/9/2019 at 7:42 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

My Medigap will pay for medical emergencies (with certain limitations) that occur during the first 60 days of any trip outside the US.   That coverage is fairly common with Medigap policies.  

From the Medicare website:

Should you have a claim I guess  they would check the actual date you left the US