Chapala.com Webboard

Medical insurance recommendation

Do a search of that topic on this board.  You will find many suggestions.  Your question, though you don't realize it, is kinda like asking which house should I buy or which car, etc. Different strokes for different folks and everyone has a different medical history, tolerance for risk, and financial ability to pay the premium. Good luck (and be sure to think twice about declining Medicare Part B if you are American).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Do a search of that topic on this board.  You will find many suggestions.  Your question, though you don't realize it, is kinda like asking which house should I buy or which car, etc. Different strokes for different folks and everyone has a different medical history, tolerance for risk, and financial ability to pay the premium. Good luck (and be sure to think twice about declining Medicare Part B if you are American).

Another point is do you have pre-existing conditions?  You are limited/hard to get coverage for those conditions.

• Like 1

Our agent is Jesus Tejeda. His office is in Guadalajara but he has many clients lakeside and is very responsive.  The plan we selected with him is through AXA. We have had several significant claims and have been completely satisfied with the claim payment process. 

One thing to note is that pretty much all private insurance plans have annual increases in premiums as you get older. You will be able to stay enrolled in the private plan you select but premiums will definitely increase. Be sure to include that in your decision process and plan for it.

333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)

jesus@tejedainsurance.com

My only thought on IMSS is that although you may be able to enroll now, there is no guarantee that things won't change. If you happen to be declined renewal with IMSS for any reason down the road, you could wind up with problems. For example, having medical issues while on IMSS  might be treated as pre-existing conditions by a new insurance company or program. Also, if you happen to lose IMSS and are over 70 your insurance options will be very limited. Just something to consider.

Lots of options and a very personal decision.

• Like 1

Been gone and haven’t been paying attention.... not that you should have to, but....

ACA is income based. Most/many premiums are pretty/very expensive but it IS available to all and does cover pre-existing conditions. Recent polls say that the majority of US Citizens approve of the insurance.... just not a lot of Republicans.

1 hour ago, Youngtimer said:

"Our agent is Jesus Tejeda. His office is in Guadalajara but he has many clients lakeside and is very responsive"

Thanks REC. I have another agent  to check out😊

Like REC, we also use Jesús Tejeda, who is a very responsive, bilingual broker. For the dozen or so years we've used him for our insurance needs (car, home, medical) he always has been upfront, responsive, and reliable. He will review with you the multiple providers he carries; the pros, cons, and recent histories of each, so you can make an informed decision. Like all insurance, your multiple variables are reflected in the cost and coverages.

I have GNP with Bellon. The deductible is per event and not for the year..I understand that this is common practice in Mexico. Also, after reading the fine print, I would have to pay the first MXP 120,000.00 per event. Thinking of canceling after paying in for the past 5 years and going with Seguro popular. We all will die at some point may as well do it with a Gin and Tonic !

• Like 1

Best Doctors  group insurance through Focus on Mexico has an annual deductible of 3900 USD no matter how many different health problems one may have during that 12 month period. This is catastrophic insurance only, though. I have used it twice during the five years I have had it and it has saved me literally hundreds of thousands of pesos. They accept new enrollees up to 74.5 years old. Some pre existing conditions are covered immediately, some are exempted for the first year and a few are just not covered.

4 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Some pre existing conditions are covered immediately, some are exempted for the first year and a few are just not covered.

I immediately went there to look and apply but this slapped me down:

"Applicants with any Diabetes OR who have Cancer at any time in life MAY NOT apply."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Youngtimer said:

No it is all income based. For example I pay $9 a month for two with $11000 deductible.

Obama care pays about $2000 monthly to the insurance company LOL!

Just to clarify: Obamacare doesn't pay anything, they have no income.  Your fellow taxpayers, aka The Government, makes those payments.  The Gumint only has money it collects from people and companies that earn wages or make a profit. If you receive a subsidy you should be very grateful for those that are working to subsidize you. Correction: Tariffs on imports are also putting funds the the Gumint's coffers so be grateful for them also. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I immediately went there to look and apply but this slapped me down:

"Applicants with any Diabetes OR who have Cancer at any time in life MAY NOT apply."

Last time I checked, Fire Insurance was also not available once a fire had started in your home. Somebody in Gumint needs to rectify that, it's clearly discrimination on some level. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

I have GNP with Bellon. The deductible is per event and not for the year..I understand that this is common practice in Mexico. Also, after reading the fine print, I would have to pay the first MXP 120,000.00 per event. Thinking of canceling after paying in for the past 5 years and going with Seguro popular. We all will die at some point may as well do it with a Gin and Tonic !

We were with Bellon. He is a nice, honest fellow but as someone mentioned the premiums do go up with age. To keep the premiums down, you increase your deductible. The problem we had was that we never got near the deductible. So ended up paying. The other thing was that this policy doesn't have an annual deductible that would be cumulative. It is per condition. So if I developed pneumonia and did hit the deductible , if I would later come down with cancer of the lung, I have to start all over again because it is a different lung condition.  So we deduct treatments , visits  and medication on taxes and it worked out fine . However, I think the US tax changes are not going to work in our favor.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Newjersey expat said:

......... So we deduct treatments , visits  and medication on taxes and it worked out fine . However, I think the US tax changes are not going to work in our favor.

In order to deduct ‘treatments, visits and medication one must have a very low income level. I’m not wealthy and have a modest (shall we call it Upper-Middle Class) retirement income. I have never ever come close to being able to deduct them from my taxes.

And speaking of the 2018 US tax changes, I just finished mine and am FLOORED at what my tax bill is this year!  And speaking of ‘treatments, visits and medication’, we had by far the largest amount of these ever.... way more than enough required to try and itemize.... and our combined Federal and State taxes are triple normal. To be fair, we had more income this year due to the sale of some stock, but not THAT much more. So much for the ‘tax cut’ bill passed last year. 

1 hour ago, RickS said:

So much for the ‘tax cut’ bill passed last year. 

You're upper middle income and you're surprised? This was a tax cut for the "middle class"  was it not?

From an uninformed Canadian

SunFan

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Just to clarify: Obamacare doesn't pay anything, they have no income.  Your fellow taxpayers, aka The Government, makes those payments.  The Gumint only has money it collects from people and companies that earn wages or make a profit. If you receive a subsidy you should be very grateful for those that are working to subsidize you. Correction: Tariffs on imports are also putting funds the the Gumint's coffers so be grateful for them also. 

I have run my own business for the last 25 years. I have been one of those subsidizing Obamacare since it started. You can have self employed income up to $64000 USD before one is not eligible.  I cut it close last year of not qualifying. I have a bronze plan that is basically catastrophic with the high deductible. But I will no longer qualify if, when I become a Mexican resident I would assume and no longer have earned income.

Anyway I thank all for your help. I have some things to check out now.