Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic potholes

San Miguel de Allende had a HUGE fight over cobblestones versus pavers and it shut down the main street into town for over six months. Pavers cost money and cobblestones not so much money. Cobblestones rarely crack and break. Cobblestones are, in and of themselves, great speed deterrents. Cobblestones are cooler because they're natural. Cobblestones allow for easy access to plumbing in the street.

It's the base that is the problem and, if it wasn't done properly, then the cobblestones fail or sag.

• Like 4

Absolutely true!  The cobblestone streets have a very shallow base, but they are easily and conveniently repaired, but do need rather constant attention.

Lakeside village and city streets are without much of a base, and pavement just does not last in that 'flexible environment', exacerbated by increasing traffic and heavier loads on larger trucks, etc.  A deep, more stable base, would make servicing underlying utilities almost impossiuble, and require that they be moved aside. However, there just isn't much 'aside' available.

I have a 4x4 with new A/T tires. I like entering from the 80km carretera, onto the cobblestone  Chapala 1 entrance. It is so much fun, it sounds and feels like a space shuttle entering the atmosphere (you didn't know I was a former astronaut?), then shift into low speed gears - very bumpy and annoying. If you go fast on rocky or gravelled road, the vehicle will float over them

2 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I have a 4x4 with new A/T tires. I like entering from the 80km carretera, onto the cobblestone  Chapala 1 entrance. It is so much fun, it sounds and feels like a space shuttle entering the atmosphere (you didn't know I was a former astronaut?), then shift into low speed gears - very bumpy and annoying. If you go fast on rocky or gravelled road, the vehicle will float over them

Gunning the engine, hearing the noise bounce off the buildings.  HAHAHAHA

If the stones are on top of a shallow bed, it must be reinforced with rebar, then sand. Ideally, the rebar should be epoxy coated (usually green color), then they should last for about this will stop flexing for 50 to 60 years, the road could also handle heavy loads.

3 hours ago, Tiny said:

Gunning the engine, hearing the noise bounce off the buildings.  HAHAHAHA

And  the screams of terror. Ever heard of Coal Rolling. This is when $%&/()s modify their diesel engines to create giant black cloud. They using do this when they pass a Prius, or even a group of runners. Unbelievable ignorance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZe7EPMTwSA

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Tiny - I am thinking off adding this accessory to my truck.

b47b42f90780428813dcfc495ec52a7c

That would be an excellent start.  Next, you need those huge lights in front to see the potholes all that better at night.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, rvanparys said:

Having lived in Europe for a great number of years, I would like to point out that the roads here are not cobblestone they are rocks... No comparison! 

I agree that they are not cobblestones, but I have heard they are called River Stones or River Rocks.

• Like 1