Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic potholes

You may have noticed that the Ajijic potholes are being filled. Juan Ramon is going street by street doing the worst first. If you know of a street that is in worse shape, please advise and I'll have him look at it and put it in his list. He is using the dolomite material that hardens like cement.

2 hours ago, Heem said:

Would it be easier to list the streets that don't need repair?

If you can find one.  There are literally hundreds of baches in Ajijic.  We are treated to pictures on the Chapala government's web site of numerous properly done street repairs in Chapala and other parts of the municipio, meanwhile we're throwing rock dust in the holes in Ajijic?

7 hours ago, ajijicbound said:

Galeana between the carretera and emiliano zapata has some large holes

I'll second this nomination. Of course we all recommend the ones we know best/worst, but that is a bad stretch, and important since it's highly used with the sometimes-working stoplight at the carretera.

Upper Revolucion is also an annual joke.

Please insist on potholes  being  repaired with cement and cobble stones. the  problem areas that are very serious will be nonexistent if they put cement in the potholes and cement with the rocks instead of sand. In the long run it will save much money with without using sand  and using cement which will be a permanent fill for the hole   

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

Please insist on potholes  being  repaired with cement and cobble stones. the  problem areas that are very serious will be nonexistent if they put cement in the potholes and cement with the rocks instead of sand. In the long run it will save much money with without using sand  and using cement which will be a permanent fill for the hole   

But no work for next year then!!

the earliest repairs were done with sand as that was all Juan could get. since he has been doing whole streets he has been using rock and dolomite which approximates cement. As far as "insisting with mexican gov" good luck.

I doubt he will do individual potholes as he is trying to do whole streets and that would divert his workers. I'll give him the info and I am sure he will try to do the streets mentioned.

galiana was one of the first streets done.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:25 AM, sm1mex said:

Revolucion  going north up the mountain to the dead end and then Lazaro  Cardenas going downhill to the east. Very bad shape.  If they could fill the potholes with rock and cement  instead of sand they would be a permanent fix. 

Agree !

• Like 1

Unfortunately portand cement, sand and small rocks do not good roads make. (thanks Yoda!). Portand concrete takes a long time to cure (there are accelerents) which means road closures, and as it cures, it shrinks, and becomes very brittle. Not suitable except for light travel areas like driveways, and even then, cracks are frequent. The high strenght concretes such as tollroads, are using the so called "super cements" or "Roman Cements", which include a lot of hard to get additives. The dolomite (cal) based products, with additives such as acrylic, actually are self healing if applied properly. There are a couple more higher quality steps, but the peak is Magnesium Oxychloride cement, which cures like liquid granite, very quickly, and can use organic fillers such as wood sawdust. The main material is Magnesium Oxide, which is mined in Coahuila State, and also magesium chloride, which is produced there too. Magnesium Chloride is also a byproduct of salt production - they remove the Sodium chloride, the Calcium Choloride, the what is left is Magnesium Chloride (bittern)and all the other oceans minerals and metals. It is amazing for dust prevention, it always is a little "wet". It is applied in environmentally sensitive areas for dust suppression (such as Lakeside). It is also an "ice" melter, whatever ice is ???? Again, unfortunately, the largest salt mine in the world pumps thousand of gallons of Mcl into the ocean in Baja Sud.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, Mainecoons said:

Really bad one at the foot of the tianquis street Revolucion.

Too bad the streets can't be repaired properly with stones the way they used to be.  

In my humble opinion, the stones should go in the lake and we should have cement streets.  Slowly Chapala is moving that way, e.g. Morelos.  Have you ever driven through Tlaquepaque.  What beautiful roads they have.  So easy to walk and drive on.  Let's forget these river stone streets.  They are a thing of the past.

• Like 1

A nice compromise are those combination stone and cement streets with periodic topes like several in San Antonio and Chapala.  In particular IMO this would be a great improvement for Revolucion where the Tianquis are held.

The cobblestones are OK if maintained.  But basically they've gotten little to no maintenance in Ajijic for over 6 years and patch jobs with rocks and dolomite is no substitute for proper repair.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt the villagers in Ajijic will ever give up the cobblestones. They believe the moisture evaporating through the stones during the hot season cools the village (like a swamp cooler). there have been major battles , demonstrations, etc over this.

I'd like to see pavers set in sand which would do the same job and be a lot less painful to walk on. It has worked beautifully for the Tianguis, but, you wouldn't believe what I had to do to get that done.

• Like 4