Chapala.com Webboard

Huge Police Presence at Libramiento and in West Ajijic

Last week a bus hit a moto with Father, mother and 7? year old child in Tlamulco. Both parents died and the child has a broken arm. The family lived in Chula Vista. Thus the crackdown. This from the rock solid source of my barber.

• Like 1

This will save lives.  These scooter riders have been getting knocked off, literally, right and left.

Saw a report in another place that the crackdown on unlicensed motorists is creating quite the jam at the license places in GDL.

The more I see of Sr. Alfaro the more I am impressed.  Amazing energy level and commitment.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately Alfaro is not doing this for safety, its a money grab. The same with smog verification and any other way he can get funds. Many of the illicit things his government  was involved in have been shut down so they will try and get money however they can.

Been through this many years ago with my business in Guad. Eventually they will start hitting small business making sure everyone has a first aid kit, fire extinguishers you name it. Any way to make a buck.

Not only is the state making a killing so are the tow truck company's, many of those vehicles that are impounded will not make it out because many cant afford to get them out of hock. Then they will sell them off and make more money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southernguy said:

Unfortunately Alfaro is not doing this for safety, its a money grab. The same with smog verification and any other way he can get funds. Many of the illicit things his government  was involved in have been shut down so they will try and get money however they can.

Been through this many years ago with my business in Guad. Eventually they will start hitting small business making sure everyone has a first aid kit, fire extinguishers you name it. Any way to make a buck.

Not only is the state making a killing so are the tow truck company's, many of those vehicles that are impounded will not make it out because many cant afford to get them out of hock. Then they will sell them off and make more money.

Why is it always a money grab when the government enforces the laws...?

I thought they had suspended the smog testing.. ?  If I'm correct smog testing won't be much of a money grab.....

• Like 1

Sorry  but I can't categorize cracking down on drunks, unlicensed, uninsured and just plain unsafe scooter riders as just a money grab.  Look at the accident and death statistics.  Why do you think so many people get in an accident and then run away?  Unlicensed, uninsured, illegal and unsafe as heck.

The numbers of vehicles on the roads here are exploding.  The old style anarchy just isn't workable anymore.  Too much carnage.  I am legally licensed and have insurance and don't care to be hit and run by people who aren't.  If they can't observe the basics, they can use public transportation.  There's plenty of it here. 

Just my 2 Pesos.

• Like 3

Just now, jonnyintrouble said:

They are cracking down now.  Where were they last week, last month, last decade?  When it comes to serving the public why wait for an opportune time?  

Almost every day I drive by the fed's impound lot.  The main office is there too.  Been there, done that.  It looks like a junk yard, everything of value has been removed from the vehicles.

The last time I passed they were having a big meeting, nearly all the off duty Federal de Camios were parking their rides on the highway out front.  Looked like a sport car rally, new Cameros, Mustangs, BMWs, Mazdas, convertibles, spoilers, cool paint jobs.  That's where the proceeds from the roadblocks went, under the guise of ridding the streets of drunk drivers and insurance cheaters.  And the public can go chingar a sus madres.

so when I see a souped up camaro or mustang etc on 54d autopista doing 200km+ an hour in could be a federal cop?

25 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

They are cracking down now.  Where were they last week, last month, last decade?  When it comes to serving the public why wait for an opportune time?  

Almost every day I drive by the fed's impound lot.  The main office is there too.  Been there, done that.  It looks like a junk yard, everything of value has been removed from the vehicles.

The last time I passed they were having a big meeting, nearly all the off duty Federal de Camios were parking their rides on the highway out front.  Looked like a sport car rally, new Cameros, Mustangs, BMWs, Mazdas, convertibles, spoilers, cool paint jobs.  That's where the proceeds from the roadblocks went, under the guise of ridding the streets of drunk drivers and insurance cheaters.  And the public can go chingar a sus madres.

And you know this how....?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Sorry  but I can't categorize cracking down on drunks, unlicensed, uninsured and just plain unsafe scooter riders as just a money grab.  Look at the accident and death statistics.  Why do you think so many people get in an accident and then run away?  Unlicensed, uninsured, illegal and unsafe as heck.

The numbers of vehicles on the roads here are exploding.  The old style anarchy just isn't workable anymore.  Too much carnage.  I am legally licensed and have insurance and don't care to be hit and run by people who aren't.  If they can't observe the basics, they can use public transportation.  There's plenty of it here. 

Just my 2 Pesos.

I can agree with you partially.

But I find it just as dangerous driving or riding my motorcycle today as it was 40 years ago, back then we had more animals, bicycles and people on the road than we did cars and scooters.

The thing is  that if the Transito did their job the correct way they could prevent many of issues we see today before they happen but they don't. It easier to set up road blocks in the morning and evening when the majority of the workforce is out. For most foreigners its cheap to have insurance, a license and everything else that goes along with driving. Most of the scooter riders cant even afford helmets which is also enforced yet they wear something that does nothing more than obscure their peripheral vision and nothing to protect them.

When I say money Grab @PJPJ Its just that, today its motor scooters and cars without smog verification, a license or insurance, tomorrow they will whip out a radar gun in a blind spot and nail people for speeding, "lets not forget the seat belts and cell phones". I know most foreigners believe that Transito works in our best interest but they don't. They are bottom feeders and do nothing to uphold the law.

Maybe if I had only been here a few years I would feel differently but I haven't,  if more people knew the law they could defend themselves better, anytime I get pulled over before I even have a discussion I get a photo of the officer and  a name, once I have that whatever I was pulled over for to begin with usually gets lost in conversation.

• Like 1

A friend in the Ajijic area drives frequently to Jocotopec and claims that the police are camped regularly by the Racquet Club checking emissions papers only.

We all know that there always has been a problem with new administrations coming in to find that the office equipment and computers are all gone, the bank accounts are empty and huge piles of unpaid bills await them. So, yes, municipalities need to generate money. So, it is not just a "money grab" but with the radical increase in fines, traffic enforcement is one way to do so.

Of course, certain events capture public attention and cause short-term enforcement of certain violations that may have been contributing factors in the recent newsworthy event. This is normal in every country.