Chapala.com Webboard

Pet Free Premise

rafterbr

It is a shame some "entitled" expat's are forcing restaurant's to make business decision's about breaking the law and allowing dog's in their restaurants.  I think maybe if we print signs and distribute to restaurants saying this is a pet free premise or zone the expats will take the hint.  Otherwise the restaurant could simply point to the sign.  If a majority of restaurants do this the dog owners cannot discriminate against one.  I think most restaurant owners are afraid to confront the dog owners and they should not have this burden put on them. I know their have been many posts on this forum about the dog problem but it is getting worse.  Anyone else have a good idea? 

• Like 10

I remember asking Jose' in Chapala about why he allowed someone to bring their dogs inside his Place and he replied that they often came in with several friends and spent a lot. We told him that then he would not miss our business and that has been 5 years that we have not returned. Liked eating there but did not like eating with dogs at our feet.

• Like 2

I have two dogs but do not take them with me when I go out. We are all more comfortable with them being at home. However,  I personally do not mind if a well behaved dog remains under the chair or table in a restaurant (but understand that some people have strong objections). I believe it is most unfair for entitled foreigners to take advantage of restaurant owners who can not say “No” to a customer. And, of course, we will not get into the people with untrained dogs who allow them to interfere with or ruin other people’s dining out experience. They are a whole other story. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Tiny, do you enjoy meals at home?  Or do you just go out to eat?

Our dog is an outside dog.  This hair is from her patio area.  In the 20 years living in GDL, I have NEVER seen a dog in a restaurant.  

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Our dog is an outside dog.  This hair is from her patio area.  In the 20 years living in GDL, I have NEVER seen a dog in a restaurant.  

And neither have I.  Had comida with the family today at El Italiano on Golfo de Cortez, place was packed and not a dog in sight, nor any of the other hundreds of times i have eaten in restaurants in GDL.

This is a foreign import we can definitely do without. The only reason that i can see for a wall or closing the border.

I have a large family of children and grandchildren that live GDL, and they cannot believe this business of old foreigners dragging their dogs into restaurants out here.

It is appalling to them, especially on one occasion after I had taken them to comida here, when a dog had urinated in the baño at Cocinart, taken there by it's owner.  The owner of the restaurant wasn´t responsible for that action, but had allowed the dog in the establishment.

Edited by slainte39
addition
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Because it is against the law…...scofflaw….you know, like prohibited.

Please...read the law (it has been posted here before). It clearly states that dogs are not allowed in the SERVICE AREAS of restaurants. In a past life in working in restaurants and hotels, SERVICE AREAS are the where the food is PREPARED. I also believe in FREEDOM...freedom for a restaurant owner to allow whatever activities within the facility he/she chooses (within the law). Also freedom for a restaurant patron to choose the facility she/he patronizes. Personally I have 3  dogs and would never choose to take them to a restaurant. What is wrong with a sign that says DOGS ALLOWED as well as one that says DOGS NOT ALLOWED?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

A closer encounter to canines can cause severe allergic reactions in a closed setting.

Our dogs won't behave at the smell of the ribs ... they're not trained and uneducated.

Can dogs be tied outside the restaurants courtyards (Lots of places have outside settings) and just humans walk in?

Even though to allow the dogs or not, I think, is at the discretion of the restaurants' owners, everyone should exercise common sense and courtesy in a selfless way - in an ideal world.

Restaurants also have a loss of customers because they allow dogs just as well as a loss of customers because they don't allow dogs.  So, why cater to the people that want to bring their dogs?  Why do they have more power than those who do not want dogs in the restaurants ?  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Restaurants also have a loss of customers because they allow dogs just as well as a loss of customers because they don't allow dogs.  So, why cater to the people that want to bring their dogs?  Why do they have more power than those who do not want dogs in the restaurants ?  

Why?  Because it is not considerate, other-oriented people running the world, is it?

• Sad 1

Allowing dogs into restaurants is widely practiced in Europe. Here, I have seen people with well behaved dogs at outside seating and have no problem with it. Live and let live. There are some people I wouldn't allow into a restaurant if able.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It has been widely substantiated that Service Area refers to any area in or out of a restaurant where food is handled. Period. So let's give up that daft argument.

It is not at the discretion of the owner. Period.

Discrimination? Such an obtuse argument. A false equivalent and a false analogy.

This ain't Europe, and I wouldn't eat in a restaurant over there that allows dogs either. Wait, you're seriously comparing animals to humans? A false equivalency. We have control over dogs; we don't have control over humans... unless they break the law. Not to mention, for every dog that behaves better, there are a bunch that do not.

My mother was one of the worst offenders. She never took a dog into a restaurant here, but she used to take two of them into the local grocery store in Ottawa. I gave her crap for that every single time, but for some reason the store owner let her push her cart around with the two of them in it.

• Like 2

A restaurant manager I used to know lived in a no cats or dogs legal regime. He had been keeping a cat in the back alley and back kitchen, to keep down rats. The inspectors told him he could not do that. So he bought a ferret, and they had to correct the bylaw!

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Warfarin works!  Just be sure that the dogs don't get any, as they are innocent.  👹

Service area? Where you are served/serviced/waited upon/go to the salad bar/etc.

Are you one of the poisoners who are targeting dogs every year? Or is it Murder you are suggesting, good you no longer live here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

While I do not bring my dogs to a restaurant, I know many do during the day. We also have someone in the area who needs to bring his bird everywhere he goes, a bird which does not wear a diaper. However, that is not what I wanted to bring to everyone's attention. Do you all walk outside in town? Do you breathe the air, the air which carries  much dust? The dust which includes the fecal matter of the horses, cows and dogs which walk on the streets? How does that not bother you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Please...read the law (it has been posted here before). It clearly states that dogs are not allowed in the SERVICE AREAS of restaurants. In a past life in working in restaurants and hotels, SERVICE AREAS are the where the food is PREPARED. I also believe in FREEDOM...freedom for a restaurant owner to allow whatever activities within the facility he/she chooses (within the law). Also freedom for a restaurant patron to choose the facility she/he patronizes. Personally I have 3  dogs and would never choose to take them to a restaurant. What is wrong with a sign that says DOGS ALLOWED as well as one that says DOGS NOT ALLOWED?

Nothing...If that's how the law was written but it's not. Entiendo?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HarryB said:

Allowing dogs into restaurants is widely practiced in Europe. Here, I have seen people with well behaved dogs at outside seating and have no problem with it. Live and let live. There are some people I wouldn't allow into a restaurant if able.

...Failed Geography twice.

1 hour ago, luvsdawgs said:

The dust which includes the fecal matter of the horses, cows and dogs which walk on the streets? How does that not bother you?

The good old, "What about Hillary?" reply to legalities.

• Like 3