Chapala.com Webboard

What's the longest you've heard about getting deeds after purchase ?

I'm going on 7 months since purchasing a house and empty lot in Riberas, still no deeds however. 

Other than hearing that "it's in the process", how concerned should I be ? What can I do ?

Purchase was handled by local well know attorney btw.

12 hours ago, ea93105 said:

I'm going on 7 months since purchasing a house and empty lot in Riberas, still no deeds however. 

Other than hearing that "it's in the process", how concerned should I be ? What can I do ?

Purchase was handled by local well know attorney btw.

So what does the "local well know attorney" say? Think I just maybe...might start there.  Good luck. If that's where "it's in the process" is coming from I would let that attorney know that I am heading straight to a new attorney to be sure I haven't been scammed and see what reaction I get.  Good luck actually getting eyeballs on the notario whose name is on the transaction.  Probably handled by an underling in his office and they tend not to grant appointments to folks asking where the deed is.  Maybe you will get lucky but you may need an attorney (whoever you decide to trust) to shake loose the real issue.

• Like 1

We waited 8 months for our last escritura and weren't happy to find that one of the beneficiarios that we requested on the deed still hadn't been added even though we told them within a week after signing. they wanted more money to change it. we told them we paid enough--51,000p--but wound up taking it as is.....just glad we got it back.

13 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

That's a good answer.  But if lawyers have a bad rep (as in ambulance chasers and worse) back home, how do you know what you got in a country where corruption is taught in the 3rd grade?  Could it be their loyalty goes to the highest bidder?  And the person or persons who have the paperwork for your property likely have many properties.  Could that mean they're influential and do whatever they please?  

Any of yáll who ave never bothered to make friends with locals with influence have made a big mistake.  Those are the people who can help you in these matters.  They are not motivated by money, they are motivated by friendship.  They could tell you something like, oh yeah, I know that family, they're rats .. or, yeah I know them, the grandfather has squabbles with the family and often refuses to sign over on property deals.  So maybe you're missing a signature.  Seven months!  Rotten cheese.

Thanks for the advice.  Yes, when we moved to Ajijic back in 2002 one of the first things we realized was we needed friends in high places.  We got them and it has always served us well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine was 8 months. When I went to request the papers, they asked for more money and started a run around.  I didn't know the power of knowledgeable facilitators at the time so got taken. This was with "well known" realtors and notorio.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Sea said:

Mine was 8 months. When I went to request the papers, they asked for more money and started a run around.  I didn't know the power of knowledgeable facilitators at the time so got taken. This was with "well known" realtors and notorio.

I know that it was just a typo but... can't think of a better name. Between a Notorio(us) and Catastro(phe)… well, just let's say they are well named.

I did not experience a problem with Notario #2 and had my deed in one month.

17 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I know that it was just a typo but... can't think of a better name. Between a Notorio(us) and Catastro(phe)… well, just let's say they are well named.

I did not experience a problem with Notario #2 and had my deed in one month.

Hah. My Spanish spelling is even worse than my English. It was unchecked phonetic spelling. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Finally reached the Notario and he promised the deeds will be ready by next Friday...keeping fingers crossed.

Explanation given was because there were two properties sold through power of attorney, things were much more complicated than the average sale...