Chapala.com Webboard

Speed Testing Ilox - Helpful Info

All,

A lot of people are performing Ilox speed tests and most are very happy.  A few are unhappy.  Know this:  speed tests are treacherous...They may or may not be indicative of an Ilox problem.  They could be indicative of a problem on your side.  Or no problem at all..because your speed test isn't correlated with the service you're trying to measure.

Here are some tips:

- The ONLY  speed test that might be a basis for complaint to Ilox is where you  direct plug your late model computer to your Ilox modem preferably a via a gigabit ethernet cable, not running any VPN software, and test with fast.com.  Make sure its the only thing plugged in.   Fast.com are the Netflix servers that peer directly into them   If you aren't getting a decent speed doing this,  then there's a chance your optical power into Ilox might be low..bad cable splice..you can check this logging into your modem and looking at the optical power page....This is a very rare situation but it can happen.  If your receive signal is higher than about -30 dbm ( -29, -14, etc being higher - these are negative numbers) at least your receive signal is in good shape. 

If you are trying other speed tests, first read these comments from the Ilox NOC. 

Depending on the service you can be routed by our peer with:
 Google, Netflix and Facebook through or direct peers with them
 Marcatel if a Mexican network is to be reached.
 Cogent, Level 3 or PCCW for international networks
image.png

85% of the traffic generated by our clients have a direct peer, this is Google primary, Netflix and Facebook
Traffic to Mexican IP destinations are less than 2% of the traffic

A speed network is not always representative of a connection speed, specially if its done to a public speedserver.net server, if a speed test is needed you should always do it connected with cable to the modem, since wifi on modems is 2.4GHz and pretty crouded so it can have ups and downs while testing.

FAST.COM is a service by NETFLIX and we do have direct peering with them.
-----------------------------------------

In other words...don't freak out if your Speedtest with Triara in Guadalajara is choking unless you are also communicating with Telmex servers.   If you're going to the states on a streaming connection, Ilox has your back with international peering connections up through Cogent, Level 3, and PCCW.  Less than 2% of their traffic goes to other parts of Mexico.  

There are other reasons your speed can be down.   Don't try to speedtest over wifi, especially 2.4 ghz, which is horribly congested.  Don't expect old PCs and give you any decent speed.  Don't expect a 100 mbit ethernet cable to go above 100  on your 250 service, and don't expect your 3 year old VPN router,  choking on the encryption software you loaded, to have anything left over to give you any speed.  Get a late model dedicated VPN router if you want that.  We're seeing all these situations with customers and frankly its not fair to Ilox.  

Tom

1 hour ago, tkessler said:

and don't expect your 3 year old VPN router,  choking on the encryption software you loaded, to have anything left over to give you any speed.

If you don't need encryption, consider a dns server. It gets better speeds.

I only use a vpn with encryption when I am doing things like banking with wi-fi.  Otherwise, I use a dns server.

Edited by Tiny
dns for dds thanks to ComputerGuy

26 minutes ago, Tiny said:

If you don't need encryption, consider a dds server. It gets better speeds.

I only use a vpn with encryption when I am doing things like banking with wi-fi.  Otherwise, I use a dds server.

You mean DNS, right?

You guys are pouring on so much information, you're scaring people, I think. The most important point made is an ethernet cable to your computer, direct from the Ilox modem, for a proper test. Cable type doesn't matter. (No one is getting 100Mbps anyway yet.)

And yes, turn off VPNs. Then turn them on again to see the difference. Not all of them slow you down.

14 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

And yes, turn off VPNs. Then turn them on again to see the difference. Not all of them slow you down.

CG You are correct.  dns not dds.

I think I post the following speed tests before.  I would be interested if anyone would get better speeds with a vpn.

"

Average download speeds using SpeedTest app on Windows 10 PC connecting to US:

Base speed  - 90mps

Express VPN - 20 mps 

Private Internet Access - 25mps

Strong VPN - 30mps

Unblock-US - 90mps"

I get 100 mps download on Ilox both ethernet and wireless with VPN. The problem many are having is NOT the VPN; it is the router with VPN that doesn't have adequate processing capability. Please look at routers with dual core processors etc; Asus  RT-AC86U is what I am using with NordVPN. VPNs don't slow down the download speed significantly; slow VPN routers with low processing capability slow down the download speed. 

I love high speed with Ilox and Asus.

For those of us that did not sign up prior with Illox, have they finished stringing fibre optics throughout the area, and is it available in downtown Chapala yet?  Thanks.  And how reliable and fast is it compared to those that have decent telmex internet?  I'm taking into consideration infinitum varies by location.  It is decent in centro Chapala to do most things, and reliable, but fast it is not.

21 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

For those of us that did not sign up prior with Illox, have they finished stringing fibre optics throughout the area, and is it available in downtown Chapala yet?  Thanks.  And how reliable and fast is it compared to those that have decent telmex internet?  I'm taking into consideration infinitum varies by location.  It is decent in centro Chapala to do most things, and reliable, but fast it is not.

No, far from it. Many posts here in the last two weeks to answer your questions.

22 hours ago, Out1 said:

I get 100 mps download on Ilox both ethernet and wireless with VPN. The problem many are having is NOT the VPN; it is the router with VPN that doesn't have adequate processing capability. Please look at routers with dual core processors etc; Asus  RT-AC86U is what I am using with NordVPN. VPNs don't slow down the download speed significantly; slow VPN routers with low processing capability slow down the download speed. 

I love high speed with Ilox and Asus.

The majority of users here with VPN are using software, not modified firmware/routers.