Chapala.com Webboard

Annual renewal of CA registration

Herman

Hi

not sure about this. I’m going down in June with a temp visa and bringing my car. When my CA tags expire, how do I renew to keep car current. I don’t think I want to drive around with expired tags. Maybe because I’ll be out of California for a few years, I don’t need it registered??

trying to avoid a call to the DMV

Jalisco law requires that your car be legally in Mexico,  AND that it be legal to drive in its home jurisdiction: California, in your case.  So, you either have to maintain your CA registration, or maybe change your title and registration to SD, which can be done by calling the Clay County, SD, Treasurer's office, in Vermillion, SD.  They are very helpful and will give you all the details to do the task by mail, with a US address and your SS#.

• Like 1

Do you really have to have the car physically in Calif to renew tags?  That is not true for most states. Generally it can be done online of by phone. They really just want your money. I finally switched mine to South Dakota, but primarily for their lack of having to have a physical safety inspection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yo1 said:

LilyH---not correct info--do NOT call any county other than Clay County!  As per Clay County Treasurer's Office

Yo1, while I agree with you that Clay County has outstanding service, they aren't the only County in SD that provides out-of-state service. It is a myth that one should not call any one else or 'you'll mess things up'.  This is not something that Clay County is doing 'on the sly'.  

Having said that, the 'ladies' at Clay County win my vote for '''Customer Service Queens" of the Universe!   I've used their services for probably 15 years.  Mary, 2 Rhonda's and a Linda. All anxious to serve.

Clay County Treasurer

Phone: (605) 677-7123

Email: treasurer@claycountysd.org 

http://www.claycountysd.org/treasurersoffice.cfm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yo1 said:

LilyH---not correct info--do NOT call any county other than Clay County!  As per Clay County Treasurer's Office

Every county wants to increase its own revenues 😁

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/out-of-state-vehicles-registered-in-south-dakota/article_3e686788-256a-55c7-9e21-7e8cb0750c80.amp.html

"No county has more vehicle registrations from outside the state than Pennington, where the county seat is Rapid City. The county’s 19,661 registrations from outside the state comprise 11 percent of the total number of 186,761 vehicles registered in the county.

Ranking No. 2 in vehicle registrations from outside the state is Clay County, where there are 7,241 registrations with out-of-state addresses serviced by the Treasurer’s Office in Vermillion. That number comprises 28 percent of the county’s total number of 25,451 registered vehicles."

- From the article above

• Like 3

It depends on whether your car is due for smog inspection while you are out of the state. If not you can renew your registration online but your stickers will be mailed to the address on your DL. You will also need to keep liability insurance on the car.

this is of course if you want to maintain CA registration....

You should file a non op certificate as soon as your car is in Mexico.  Your annual registration if not paid will acrue penalties. If the car ever returns all past due fees plus huge  penalties will need to be paid. I have seen cars with thousands of dollars due. Non op permit avoids the problem. For those not aware in Calif there is a required smog check for renewal of registration. The check is performed with a machine on line and the certificate is electronically sent to California Air Resources Board and is on file when DMV receives the renewal application.

you can get a non operative vehicle type of permit for California or you need to get back for the smog test....If you do not renew the plates or do not have a non operative permit, California goes after you when you sell the car. Get south dakota plates if you still can